• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Noise complaints

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Multiple Ejection Rack.

Close, but no cigar, Hornet breath.

In the spirit of passing along "good" gouge:

MER= Multiple Ejector Rack .... :) ... I love it.

merfb2.jpg
an34mn0.jpg

... I weep for the future of Naval Aviation.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a 129 legend. I don't know all the specifics, but apparently one night Meat (a RAG IECMO at the time), while no doubt trying to get some shut-eye, decided that the guys were flying their pattern a little too wide, so he calls the base CO to report a noise complaint. I guess he couldn't remember his own squadron's ODO number. So the story goes. I'm sure he'll log on presently to protest his innocence.

Brett

At least he wasn't in the front seat when we went zooming over the Gorge during a RAG 1350 flight, ridge crossing of course, around lunchtime on a summer Thursday. Zorba was the IECMO with a CAT I pilot and I was in the back with a Middie. When I asked them to dip the wing over the grounds for the middie I noticed there was a an awful lot of people at the Gorge, like thousands. We happened to buzz a Christian concert at about 500ft (or a little less.....;) ).

When we got back the middie was saying how excited he was and what a great time he had flying over the Gorge. When a OPS O, a MAJ, overheard that he growled "Yeah, we know all about that", I thought discretion was the better part of valor and dragged the middie out of there. Apparently we generated quite a few noise complaints that day......:D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At least he wasn't in the front seat when we went zooming over the Gorge during a RAG 1350 flight, ridge crossing of course, around lunchtime on a summer Thursday. Zorba was the IECMO with a CAT I pilot and I was in the back with a Middie. When I asked them to dip the wing over the grounds for the middie I noticed there was a an awful lot of people at the Gorge, like thousands. We happened to buzz a Christian concert at about 500ft (or a little less.....;) ).

When we got back the middie was saying how excited he was and what a great time he had flying over the Gorge. When a OPS O, a MAJ, overheard that he growled "Yeah, we know all about that", I thought discretion was the better part of valor and dragged the middie out of there. Apparently we generated quite a few noise complaints that day......:D

Kind of odd that a place that is blaring music at >140 db would see fit to call in a noise complaint.

Brett

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
September 1990 I was working at a small airport in Western Pennsylvania. The 911th Reserve C-130 squadron was using our airport's ILS for practice approaches to get ready for deployment. I was sitting outside watching the show, when the phone started ringing off the hook with complaints. One woman said that "there must be some kind of ordinance about this". I replied without thinking "Those are cargo planes, they don't carry any ordinance". I finally looked up the 911's Duty Office phone number and started giving it to the callers. If they got that worked up over C-130's, I'd love to arrange for a C-5 to make an approach. That would be worth the price of admission.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
September 1990 I was working at a small airport in Western Pennsylvania. The 911th Reserve C-130 squadron was using our airport's ILS for practice approaches to get ready for deployment. I was sitting outside watching the show, when the phone started ringing off the hook with complaints. One woman said that "there must be some kind of ordinance about this". I replied without thinking "Those are cargo planes, they don't carry any ordinance". I finally looked up the 911's Duty Office phone number and started giving it to the callers. If they got that worked up over C-130's, I'd love to arrange for a C-5 to make an approach. That would be worth the price of admission.

A Prowler would be better, loudest jet in the Navy.....:D

The mighty P&W J52-P408A engine:

engine-02b.jpg

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
A Prowler would be better, loudest jet in the Navy.....:D

The mighty P&W J52-P408A engine:

While I agree that the Prowler is loud, I think the effect of the C-5's engine noise and the loss of daylight, when that aluminum overcast, flies over their house would be hard to beat. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that.:D

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I've taken several airport management/ airport construction classes out here at Riddle... One of the most common themes my instructors noticed during their careers of airport consulting was the change and reorganization of approach paths (that have been in place for decades) away from newly constructed, less populated, wealthier areas, to directly over the densely populated middle income/low income areas that have been in place for dozens of years.

I don't think you have to be a genius to assume this is the result of political contributions of the wealthy, or perhaps the politicians themselves.

I think this problem is sad enough as it is... But hopefully on top of it middle income/lower income Americans don't see a decrease in their property values.

NBC needs to do a "fleecing of america" on this subject IMHO. :)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I was always under the impression that the Harrier was about the loudest thing out there. I remember seeing one at an airshow and thinking that the hype might have been right.

So Harrier vs. Prowler???

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I finally looked up the 911's Duty Office phone number and started giving it to the callers. If they got that worked up over C-130's, I'd love to arrange for a C-5 to make an approach. That would be worth the price of admission.

I can't believe you dimed them out! Should've said, "Dunno, ma'am."

I've heard the MCAS Miramar ODO's primary job is fielding noise complaints. A buddy of mine was making a parts run there from 29 Palms, didn't know the course rules and flew right over I-5(?) at 500-1000'. Apparently the lines lit up. He was told that if our CO had been a Miramar CO, he would've been relieved.