• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oct 2013 IDC/SWO-IDC Options Board

LET73

One of the Intel officers I know essentially was a fly on the wall when this was discussed, before it was put out and the PA changed, it all made sense to her but it has been several years so I really can't remember the specifics other than in the future they believed IW/IP/Intel would become one, who knows if they will be right or wrong, but that is why they get paid the big bucks :)
No, you're right, they are talking about it--I remember hearing rumblings about combining intel and cryppie way back in '07 when I applied and commissioned, and since then they've established the (ugh) Information Dominance Corps, and the IDC is moving in directions that suggest IW/IP/Intel will become essentially interchangeable. I realize that the Army combines all of these areas under the umbrella of Military Intelligence, which ought to be reason enough for the Navy to keep things separate, but then again all of this is also taking place well above my paygrade. :)

egiv

Having been at events with CIA and FBI recruiters not so much, every event that I was at with them they were looking for tech degrees, anything computer related, any engineers, they wanted the analytical thinking that comes along with those degrees.

I think it ultimately depends on where you are assigned within an agency and which agency it is. I have no doubt that they highly value technical degrees, especially considering the rise of cyber warfare, etc, although from what I saw as a State Dept intern among the intel bureau staff and my contact with quite a few intel professionals, most recommended regional knowledge, language skills, and critical thinking for job-seekers. Having said that, I certainly do not presume to know all the ins and outs of the civilian intel world nor the Navy. It's all theory for me until the board makes selections.

exNavyOffRec

I think it ultimately depends on where you are assigned within an agency and which agency it is. I have no doubt that they highly value technical degrees, especially considering the rise of cyber warfare, etc, although from what I saw as a State Dept intern among the intel bureau staff and my contact with quite a few intel professionals, most recommended regional knowledge, language skills, and critical thinking for job-seekers. Having said that, I certainly do not presume to know all the ins and outs of the civilian intel world nor the Navy. It's all theory for me until the board makes selections.

Don't try and compare civilian intel to military intel communities, pretty sure your head will explode!

(First post)

Just a week away from the board. Good luck everyone!

Applying August IDC-Intel
AWV1(NAC/AW)- AD 10 years
3.74 GPA, B.A. Organizational Management, Ashford
3.95 GPA, M.P.A. Public Administration, Villanova
OAR-48
EP/MP/EP/MP/MP
Awards- NAM, SSOQ, SOQ, FLOC x4
LOR- 3 (O-6), 2 (O-5), 2 (O-4)

CTFly1

Anybody see any official board schedule updates yet? I can't submit my package until September :/

CTFly1

Nothing official, I am sure the numbers selected on this board will determine quite a bit.
I'm submitting my SRC for OCS to my COC next week and finishing my degree on the 25th. I'm hoping to be ready to have everything sent by the end of the first week of September. I'm hoping to catch both the IDC and NA/NFO/SWO boards. Here's to hoping.

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
Hopefully the board for tomorrow's still has a green light. I haven't heard much about this board at all.
Agree that it's been almost a little too quiet, especially compared to the Feb 2013 IDC board thread. Touched base with my OR on Friday and he confirmed the board was on track for Monday 12AUG. Good luck everyone, let's hope we get some good news soon!

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
GOOD LUCK GUYS AND GALS! I was Pro-Y at the July SNA and NFO board and its an awesome feeling getting the good news!

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
Thanks Spenz. I can only imagine getting a pro-rec Y feels way more awesome than the alternative! Seriously though, I appreciate the good vibes. Hope I'll join you in Newport this fall.

Kory

I was curious if my Masters of Science in International Relations is considered technical. I know most undergrad IR degrees are not, but I took Survey, research methods and econ, which is why it is considered a science.

Any ideas how they will take that? Any idea on quotas yet?