• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Osprey or bust...

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Does anyone have any "firsthand" experience with the V-22? The rumor around TBS (one of the many) is that many of the current Fox Co studs will end up in the Osprey. I personally welcome the Osprey, and the dimension it will add to the battlefield, but the opinions I'm getting seem to be mixed. One of our Weps Batallion instructors called it the "flying death box" this morning, while one three star general (who will remain unnamed) raved about its unlimited potential and ability to unleash death/unlimited firepower upon poor, unsuspecting insurgents... Any opinions?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looooooots of misinformation floating around about the V-22.... more like incredibly outdated information. There is a V-22 pilot on this board, he will dispell your myths, hopefully.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Myths/Urban legends are welcome as well... May as well get the general public opinion out there (as if there were a shortage). And Fly, any comments as to the origins of your icon? Atari-style all the way.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
They are the Mooninites, and they are far superior than your 3 dimensional intellect.

(characters on the show Aqua Teen Hunger Force)

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone have any "firsthand" experience with the V-22? The rumor around TBS (one of the many) is that many of the current Fox Co studs will end up in the Osprey.

Based on what? Some grandiose conspiracy that all the guys in one particular company have been pegged for a particular platform? Puh-leeze. Maybe due to to timing, more slots will open up and a few more guys will select V-22s.

(I'll back Fly's ATHF jones. That show is addictive.)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Briefing and hotseating with an Osprey STUD today. He's a retread Capt, motivated as hell, and is one hell of a stick from what I hear. Great guy, too. He was in my primary squadron in Corpus, did the maritime advanced, as is doing the tiltrotor flow here in HTs.

He and the other MV-22 guy that I know here are pretty stoked about flying it. Whether they've got the inside scoop on the aircraft or not, I don't know, but if it works like it's supposed to, it's going to be a huge asset. According to the Major who flew one in last week, it does work as advertised. Only time will tell, though.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Does anyone have any "firsthand" experience with the V-22? The rumor around TBS (one of the many) is that many of the current Fox Co studs will end up in the Osprey. I personally welcome the Osprey, and the dimension it will add to the battlefield, but the opinions I'm getting seem to be mixed. One of our Weps Batallion instructors called it the "flying death box" this morning, while one three star general (who will remain unnamed) raved about its unlimited potential and ability to unleash death/unlimited firepower upon poor, unsuspecting insurgents... Any opinions?

Welll if you mean that since the 46 is going to be replaced in the next 5-10 years with the Osprey and that will mean that a large portion of Marine pilots will end up in it then yes...Most on the air side will sing its praises but what it comes down to is that you have a little while to worry about it yet...

They are selecting MV-22s right out of primary right now then sending them to CC only to come back for helo advanced...the East coast RAG for the 46 is being ramped down and all those squadrons will be replaced first. That is about all the new info for now...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone know if that thing has a cargo hook to do vertrep type ops?

Brett

vvmountainvv

the Marine Major who was down here last week mentioned cargo hooks....one of the IP's asked about what mode they do externals in...the Major was talking about being in fixed wing mode for single points....up to like 150 knots plus...dual points he said were a little more speed limited.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
the Marine Major who was down here last week mentioned cargo hooks....one of the IP's asked about what mode they do externals in...the Major was talking about being in fixed wing mode for single points....up to like 150 knots plus...dual points he said were a little more speed limited.

Single-points can be done much faster than that, actually. However, using an Osprey for externals is a little like towing a boat with a Ferrari--the engine's big enough to pull it, but not the most efficient use of assets in general.

To another poster, the CH-46 FRS is on the West Coast, so the RAG is not being "ramped down." However, if you mean that phrogs east will be a smaller player in selection, you're right, since 2 squadrons, i.e. 1/3 of the east coast 46s, are already in the pipe.

To the first poster, having flown both a 46 and a V-22, there is no comparison. It's night and day. Believe the hype. As with any new aircraft, there have been and will be some difficulties, but I feel much safer in an Osprey than I did in a 46.

phrogpilot73

To another poster, the CH-46 FRS is on the West Coast, so the RAG is not being "ramped down." However, if you mean that phrogs east will be a smaller player in selection, you're right, since 2 squadrons, i.e. 1/3 of the east coast 46s, are already in the pipe.
When does 262 & 265 on Okinawa stand down? They're the last ones, right? Just trying to work out my timing to stay in the Phrog... :D