• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Osprey or bust...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here we go (again?)...gun(s) on Osprey?

phrogdriver said:
And yes, the fleet birds will have a gun. Let's not go any further down this rabbithole.

upstateKillah said:
Is the osprey pressurized? If so I see no way to post a door gunner.

I was working with PMA-275 and MCCDC starting in summer of 2002 (seems aways back) to help redefine the requirements underpinning for Osprey as it came back from its unfortunate series of mishaps. THe issue of the gun came up...at the time, the chin mounted pilot controlled gun was last thing proposed, but unfunded as of yet. A team came back from OEF and debriefed their lessons learned over there with all Marine Aviation assets. According to their derief, the "customers" riding 53 and 46 aircraft wanted pilots to get them in and out while they would assist in taking care of anyone with hostile intent. These were Special ops types, but the gun was reconsidered and decison made to go to a crew served series of weapons. Ramp gun (.50 cal was doable), but side locations a bit more challenging as port door isn;t meant to be opened in flight and starboard location can, but nacelle is sittign there in zone of fire so "what to do" about that? Could have a WWII PT boat type metal framework to keep gun from firing anywhere near the nacelle, but nacelle rotates so it isn;t an easy do...there are more sophisticated options (using computer), but they are more pricey. As to pressurization, that's for at altitude. C-130s and other transports are pressurized, but can lower ramp(s) and open doors when needed and certaainly not an issue in and near LZ when it's more important to have firepower at the ready.

Denabloo

i know you've guys mentioned the 22 replacing the 46's and such, but what about the Hueys? Are there currently any plans to replace them... or are they just upgrading them?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Denabloo said:
i know you've guys mentioned the 22 replacing the 46's and such, but what about the Hueys? Are there currently any plans to replace them... or are they just upgrading them?

They are currently planning to replace them will a new 4 bladed Huey...only time will tell if the budget will allow it...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yankee and Zulu

jamnww said:
They are currently planning to replace them will a new 4 bladed Huey...only time will tell if the budget will allow it...

The current plan is to replace the UH-1N and the AH-1W with 100 UH-1Y and 180 AH-1Z helos (so-called Yankee and Zulu models). They were originally called the 4BN/BW (four bladed November/Whiskey) program that is now called the H-1 Upgrade program managed by a Marine colonel (PMA-276). They have a common engine/transmission/rotor system and avionics package making support all the easier while deployed. Both are fully funded, in production and flying at Pax River today with IOC expected in 2008.

SpiderUSMC

A question:

I have read that the stub wings on the MI-24 Hind actually provided a decent amount of lift (due to their size). It seems those new stub wings on the Zulu are getting quite big--are they seeing any lift gains from them?

V22guy

The V22's always been fighting rumors of its readiness. I know it's only a matter of time before the Corps as a whole realizes the aircraft's incredible potential. Other platforms are DULL in comparison. Osprey's the way to go.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
phrogpilot73 said:
When does 262 & 265 on Okinawa stand down? They're the last ones, right? Just trying to work out my timing to stay in the Phrog... :D

All I can tell you from here is that when you're the CG of 1st MAW, you can probably still get your flight time in a frog. Come on over, bro!

By the way, MAG-36 is knee deep in field grade trying to get a dept head tour, so practice answering the phone "HMM-265 DOSS, Maj. Phrogpilot 73 speaking....."

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
East coast majors have had a hard time getting into a phrog squadron at all. There's a least a years penance at group or wing before getting in.

The writing's on the wall, Phrogpilot 73. The battlephrog is closing up shop.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
V22guy said:
Other platforms are DULL in comparison. Osprey's the way to go.
to make a statment like that, you must have experience in all the other MC platforms? i tell you what, convince me how the Osprey is a more exciting platform than the F/A-18 and I'll put my name in the hat for the next MV-22 transition board ... by the way, i don't drink kool aid so don't offer any

S/F

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jarhead said:
to make a statment like that, you must have experience in all the other MC platforms? i tell you what, convince me how the Osprey is a more exciting platform than the F/A-18 and I'll put my name in the hat for the next MV-22 transition board ... by the way, i don't drink kool aid so don't offer any

S/F

But all the thousands of guys from other platforms that are trying to transition to the Osprey will be in your way....oh wait.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
We actually do have an F-18 guy in VMMT-204, as well as 2 AV-8B guys and a EA-6B driver between us and VMX. If the mafias in the OAS communities, both f/w and r/w weren't so hell-bent on destroying the lives of those who break ranks to the V-22, I think we'd have a lot more from them. Some of the shooter types have horror stories about how they were treated for putting in packages, and these were not slacker-types who weren't going anywhere, either.

I'm not going to make absurd blanket "one-size-fits-all" statements like some others, but it is an exciting time to be on the V-22 train. I think that once 263 starts working more extensively with other communities as it prepares for deployment, the doubts will start to subside.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jarhead said:

S/F

but, but... OVER THE HORIZON.... EXPAND THE BATTLESPACE... MULTI-MISSION...SELF DEPLOY... MAGTF FLEXIBILITY... so many buzzwords can't be wrong.