• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Osprey or bust...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
squeeze said:
but, but... OVER THE HORIZON.... EXPAND THE BATTLESPACE... MULTI-MISSION...SELF DEPLOY... MAGTF FLEXIBILITY... so many buzzwords can't be wrong.

If buzzwords are wrong, I don't want to be right.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I've heard talk about there being problems with the exhaust heating up decks...any word on this from osprey drivers?

MasterBates

I would think that the propwash would diffuse it. But that is my engineer hat, and not from actual experience with a V22

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Mefesto said:
The way I understand it... thats the crew going out the back...

Wow, now I know. Old jokes aren't like scotch. They don't get better with age.

The deck heating is an issue, but not as big as some make it out to be. I'm not going to go out of my lane and claim to have read the test data, but you don't have to worry about destroying the LHD deck. A few liferafts on the sides of the flight deck, maybe. There is a system that deflects the exhaust to the sides when the Osprey is on deck. It still is hot enough to turn grass brown if you're on the deck for awhile, but as long as you're not visiting golf courses, you should be all right.

Pags

N/A
pilot
phrogdriver said:
Wow, now I know. Old jokes aren't like scotch. They don't get better with age.

The deck heating is an issue, but not as big as some make it out to be. I'm not going to go out of my lane and claim to have read the test data, but you don't have to worry about destroying the LHD deck. A few liferafts on the sides of the flight deck, maybe. There is a system that deflects the exhaust to the sides when the Osprey is on deck. It still is hot enough to turn grass brown if you're on the deck for awhile, but as long as you're not visiting golf courses, you should be all right.
Roga...I've heard about a few problems with the Osprey being on the future LSC deck, but was just talk over beers.

Just saw a folded V-22 on the deck of the San Antonio yesterday...the future of littoral warfare right there.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
214 knots
26,000 ft

Does thins thing have hardpoints for droptanks, weapons ect?

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
214 is in the the the ballpark for cruise speed. Top end level flight is 30-50 knots higher depending on weight and conditions.

No droptanks. Weapon is currently a ramp gun with future improvements in the works.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot

What about the exhaust from the harriers? When the nozzles are vertical do they not heat up the deck like the osprey? The osprey EGT must be hotter right? I mean...since the harriers have been operating from amphib decks for years its seems that they would have already had a fix. Just curious anyhow..

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
brd2881 said:
What about the exhaust from the harriers? When the nozzles are vertical do they not heat up the deck like the osprey? The osprey EGT must be hotter right? I mean...since the harriers have been operating from amphib decks for years its seems that they would have already had a fix. Just curious anyhow..

I'd say the EGT of a Harrier is much higher than a V22. The gases from a V22are IR suppressed and deflected. I think the difference is that a Harrier chops power and moves its exhaust as soon as it's on deck, whereas an assault support aircraft will loiter on deck for an extended period.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
phrogdriver said:
I'd say the EGT of a Harrier is much higher than a V22. The gases from a V22are IR suppressed and deflected. I think the difference is that a Harrier chops power and moves its exhaust as soon as it's on deck, whereas an assault support aircraft will loiter on deck for an extended period.

Harrier exaust can be as high as 800 deg C, though normally not for long. We do tear the hell out of spot 7 as the cruise goes on, tearing up non-skid and fodding engines when the deck maintenance is delinquent. If the deck is kept in good shape, it's not a big problem. I've heard of JPT issues with the F-35, though.

Phrog is right that we go to idle and move the nozzles aft after landing. Our idle JPT is about 300-400 deg C.