• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pentagon Gay Pride Event

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Can't be worse than all the "African-American," "Asian-Pacific Islander," "Latino," "Women," et al pride events we already have.

I don't care what any of you fuckers are. Just STFU about it and get back to work.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
It's actually a "Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender" "event". That's Super!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=cGYNuoCigGY&feature=fvwp

And in to lead the event Winona Ryder will perform her ping pong ball trick.

The LGB part I'm fine with. The "Transgender?" I don't think anyone's allowed to wear the uniform of another gender still.

Is there a Winona Ryder meme I'm missing there? I haven't heard anything about her for years.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I love how people whine nonstop about the Mickey Mouse bullshit their command/the Navy/the Corps makes them do, talking about how we're all adults, but then get up in arms over completely harmless non-news items like breast feeding in uniform or pride events.

Do we wanna micromanage people's lives or not?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
The LGB part I'm fine with. The "Transgender?" I don't think anyone's allowed to wear the uniform of another gender still.

Is there a Winona Ryder meme I'm missing there? I haven't heard anything about her for years.

Might be tough to get a waver for the transgender thing. NAMI whammy :)

For the record, I might attend if Winona Ryder was actually doing a ping ball trick.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I love how people whine nonstop about the Mickey Mouse bullshit their command/the Navy/the Corps makes them do talking about how we're all adults,
4 hours of sexual assault awareness training is an insulting, CYA-motivated, waste of time which has NO measurable effect. Show me one time a sexual predator has paused and contemplated the meaning of that last SAPR presentation, before acting on their deviant impulses.

but then get up in arms over completely harmless non-news items like breast feeding in uniform or pride events.
Ensuring that uniform standards are uniform and that the uniforms are not used for political purposes is reasonable.

How are these scenarios fundamentally similar?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Most sexual assaults aren't committed by "sexual predators," but are instead perpetrated by people who know their victim. But I'm sure you knew that, having actually paid attention to the training.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Can't be worse than all the "African-American," "Asian-Pacific Islander," "Latino," "Women," et al pride events we already have.

I don't care what any of you fuckers are. Just STFU about it and get back to work.

I've always thought of it this way: If you don't like it or aren't interested you don't have to go.

Wifey and I go to some of the cultural "pride" events if for nothing else but the food. Greek fests, Ethiopian festivals, Asian Festivals, etc.... They all have pretty awesome food, and sometimes they have interesting cultural music and dance.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Most sexual assaults aren't committed by "sexual predators," but are instead perpetrated by people who know their victim. But I'm sure you knew that, having actually paid attention to the training.
Acquaintance with the victim does not negate the predatory nature of the act. If you insist, replace "predator" with "offender" in my comment above, and my point still stands. The training has negligible preventive power.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I don't think so at all - it establishes baselines of acceptable behavior and encourages others to stop the beginnings of assault. Lots of people literally don't know what is and isn't consent.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I've always thought of it this way: If you don't like it or aren't interested you don't have to go.

Wifey and I go to some of the cultural "pride" events if for nothing else but the food. Greek fests, Ethiopian festivals, Asian Festivals, etc.... They all have pretty awesome food, and sometimes they have interesting cultural music and dance.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same things. Going to a town or city's ethnic festival can indeed be interesting and a good time. I'm talking about the silly events that get passed via all-hands email blasts and the accompanying MARADMINs/NAVADMINs requesting nominations for "Female Marine of the Year" or some such malarkey. I know the PC police will say it's different somehow, but I somehow think that the reception would be much different if they had a European-American Pride event at the O-club, with displays showing the outstanding contributions of European-Americans to the military. Of course, the menu selections might be a little boring, but still...

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think so at all - it establishes baselines of acceptable behavior and encourages others to stop the beginnings of assault. Lots of people literally don't know what is and isn't consent.

This. Even in my short time in the Navy the things I have seen boggle my mind.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor

How we have failed as a society if your statement is true? But I don't think it is. I think your sentiment echos what has become a culture of personal UN-accountability.

Even in my short time in the Navy the things I have seen boggle my mind.

Mind boggling =/= unaccountable.