• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot broke rules when he buzzed Downtown

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree with Intruder D in spirit, and it all sounds nice and easy shooting the shiznit on AW, but a certain Prowler squadron decided on the whole "beg forgiveness" tactic when doing a game-time flyover Safeco field in Seattle. They decided to go way lower and faster than they should have and as a result got the whole community in trouble and had a whole series of extra restrictions placed on what had become one of the better "good deal" flights out of Whidbey - thanks a lot. The bottom line for me is to know the rules and to know when you can break them and FWIW, choosing to blatantly break the rules in front of a full stadium - one which a reasonable man would have to know contained several senior Naval Officers - is bad headwork and deserving of punishment. A bunch of FAG bravado sounds real cool until all your buddies give you the stink-eye at the club for fvcking up their good deal.

Brett

ProwlerPilot

pilot
While the Prowler story is true, a lot of the fallout from that also occured to to weather and where they were told to hold before the flyover. Due to an overcast, they were lower than briefed in their holding and the sensible people of Seattle decided with military jets overhead, we must be under attack and called it in. Granted the pass itself was lower than briefed too, however public opinion will always be met with knee jerk reactions in aviation. People scared = no flyover. No matter what the truth is. Just like Aviano and the gondola. Marines screw up, and the whole Prowler community is put on restriction. Bottome line is unfortunately if 2 million people love it, yet 20 people complain, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Think about Coupevill and Fentress? Don't like jet noise? Don't buy a house under the pattern......

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While the Prowler story is true, a lot of the fallout from that also occured to to weather and where they were told to hold before the flyover. Due to an overcast, they were lower than briefed in their holding and the sensible people of Seattle decided with military jets overhead, we must be under attack and called it in. Granted the pass itself was lower than briefed too, however public opinion will always be met with knee jerk reactions in aviation. People scared = no flyover. No matter what the truth is. Just like Aviano and the gondola. Marines screw up, and the whole Prowler community is put on restriction. Bottome line is unfortunately if 2 million people love it, yet 20 people complain, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Think about Coupevill and Fentress? Don't like jet noise? Don't buy a house under the pattern......

Easy out: Brief What You Fly, Fly What You Brief.

Do that and you'll always stay out of trouble. The crew above should have called it and RTB'd based on what you've said.

ProwlerPilot

pilot
Easy out: Brief What You Fly, Fly What You Brief.

Do that and you'll always stay out of trouble. The crew above should have called it and RTB'd based on what you've said.

I don't think they initially were doing anything that was not approved as far as ATC was concerned, and of course I have heard this story 78th hand, so I do not claim to know all the facts.

While that theory applies to flyovers and fun, I would not necessarily take it into operational flying or combat.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think they initially were doing anything that was not approved as far as ATC was concerned, and of course I have heard this story 78th hand, so I do not claim to know all the facts.

While that theory applies to flyovers and fun, I would not necessarily take it into operational flying or combat.

The dude leading that section had had several other flat-hatting "incidents."

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So in VAQ, you can get away with MULTIPLE incidents?

I don't think it's necessarily a VAQ thing and it also depends on what you mean by "getting away" with it. There's a continuum that extends from being on the front office's shit list to losing your wings. I've seen people work every part of that line. Last guy I personally knew who is no longer allowed to fly was on the three strikes plan, which included a class A which I witnessed. Then again, I've seen guys do multiple acts of dangerous buffoonery and get recommended for TPS.

Brett

MasterBates

I am familiar with that line....

There is a VERY low tolerance of any alleged or suspected buffonery in HSL..

I have seen people get their wings yanked so fast, it took the velcro off the flight suit..

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

To add to what Brett said, they broke the rules really blatantly on that one.......weather was not a good excuse. Not only that, they were about a minute late, I was listening live to the game on radio.........if you are going to go down, don't look like an idiot.........;).........even the radio announcer was shocked how low they flew, you could hear it in his voice........

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
So in VAQ, you can get away with MULTIPLE incidents?

That's quite a pretentios (sp?) comment. To characterize a community's wilingness to put up with rules violations based on this individual story is unfair.

Guy with the lowest grades in my Primary class went HSL - all HSL guys must be rocks..... Sound ridiculous?