• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot broke rules when he buzzed Downtown

MasterBates

That's quite a pretentios (sp?) comment. To characterize a community's wilingness to put up with rules violations based on this individual story is unfair.

Guy with the lowest grades in my Primary class went HSL - all HSL guys must be rocks..... Sound ridiculous?

Dude, you need to turn up the gain on your sarcasm detector...

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
"Right now the ones who make it are perfect physical specimens, and they tend to be engineers, people with a strong math and science background. In the Vietnam War you would still get a lot of people who'd played football and were jocks and brave guys who were willing to risk their lives to fly very unsafe aircraft off of very unsafe ships. But that's changing."

Wha!?

ProwlerPilot

pilot
even the radio announcer was shocked how low they flew, you could hear it in his voice........

Sounds like a damn good flyby to me!!!! Not a reason for uproar!!!

The navy expects us to launch off a carrier into a storm, go feet dry, get shot at, drop bombs and kill people (or just jam) and then return for a pitching deck night trap with no questions. That takes a pretty big ego and to think that ego isn't going to slip out every once in a while in a situation like this is stupid. Should they have done it dangerously? no. Should they lose their wings? NO! I have seen plenty of IDIOT mistakes that have lost jets, hurt people, killed people, or all of the above and the pilot and aircrew continued flying. If you all want to strip wings for a flyby, then we need to take a look at a lot of other people out there. A senator's or spectator's "percieved" danger is nothing to losing a jet over the side because of stupidity! All of thos aircraft returned home safely and NO ONE was hurt. Slap on the wrist, Agreed. Talking about losing wings? Ridiculous!

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor

The navy expects us to launch off a carrier into a storm, go feet dry, get shot at, drop bombs and kill people (or just jam) and then return for a pitching deck night trap with no questions. That takes a pretty big ego and to think that ego isn't going to slip out every once in a while in a situation like this is stupid. Should they have done it dangerously? no. Should they lose their wings? NO! I have seen plenty of IDIOT mistakes that have lost jets, hurt people, killed people, or all of the above and the pilot and aircrew continued flying. If you all want to strip wings for a flyby, then we need to take a look at a lot of other people out there. A senator's or spectator's "percieved" danger is nothing to losing a jet over the side because of stupidity! All of thos aircraft returned home safely and NO ONE was hurt. Slap on the wrist, Agreed. Talking about losing wings? Ridiculous!

"If you take the king's shilling and go to war, you put yourself in harm's way and you've fulfilled the ultimate contract with the military. He did that and he may have felt a certain level of entitlement. Maybe we're being too strict in our treatment of officers. You can't ask a bunch of altar boys to fight a war."
Well said

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Again, I agree in spirit, but we have to operate within the bounds of reality as it is. There's a way to do a cool fly-by and there a way to get yourself and your community in a bind for doing it in a non-standard manner that gets negative attention. It doesn't matter if the danger was real or not because it's the perception that counts (like it or not). There's a time and place to exceed the limits of SOP - combat ops come to mind, but a stadium fly-by ain't it. Bottom line, mature, responsible aviators know the difference and act accordingly. What those guys did was stupid and there's no defending it.

Brett

ProwlerPilot

pilot
What those guys did was stupid and there's no defending it.

Brett

So was a guy who put a jet in the ocean by doing the wrong checklist and inducing further problems on a jet that wasn't really broken. My point being is where is the outrage over that? I'll take a pilot who buzzes downtown over one who lost one of my jets any day.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The Prowler guys blatantly violated the rules, weather notwithstanding. I have not done a flyby but if there is a place not to blatantly break the rules it would be in front of 50,000 or so people. You can do a good flyby and still follow the rules, the best I have ever seen were both legal and they still impressed people.

In todays enviroment and scrutiny, busting the rules like the Prowler fly-by and the Hornet guy is going to cost you. Are things like they used to be? No, but the accident rate is a fraction of what it used to be too. A couple cold hard facts: planes cost more (a lot more), training aviators costs more, there is more political scrutiny, there are more rules and in our post-Tailhook enviroment there are many who look for any excuse to hammer Naval Aviation.

Do I like all of the above? Not at all. But those are the facts and no one here can change them. As for having fun at the limits of the rules, I have had plenty, at the right time and place........Overseas (especially in third world countries), in the middle of BFE and over the big blue sea. Over a stadium and at a local airport, nope. Choose your battles wisely, are your wings really worth one stunt?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So was a guy who put a jet in the ocean by doing the wrong checklist and inducing further problems on a jet that wasn't really broken. My point being is where is the outrage over that? I'll take a pilot who buzzes downtown over one who lost one of my jets any day.

Are you talking about the one who rolled the jet off the deck? If so, he did not go to a boat squadron like he was supposed to and I believe eventually became a non-flying pilot. He was in Brett's squadron......;)

ProwlerPilot

pilot
Yes. However, THAT incident didn't get them taken. That jet should not be at the bottom of the ocean. I can think of other examples too. Just saying I think we need to level the field here. I can think of a ton more incidents to be upset about other than a sweet flyby that scared the people of Seattle.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes. However, THAT incident didn't get them taken. That jet should not be at the bottom of the ocean. I can think of other examples too. Just saying I think we need to level the field here. I can think of a ton more incidents to be upset about other than a sweet flyby that scared the people of Seattle.

True......true......I agree with you there.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

One was intentional, the other was a mistake. Nobody is excusing what Cubby did and he is no longer flying - got what he deserved. Again, it doesn't matter whether we do or do not get "outraged" about any particular event. The fact is that people in positions of power got outraged about what they saw for the fly-by, and the guy leading that flight did it on purpose for no good reason and should have anticipated the end result. Two wrongs don't make a right, so arguing that others have made more egregious errors is meaningless.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you talking about the one who rolled the jet off the deck? If so, he did not go to a boat squadron like he was supposed to and I believe eventually became a non-flying pilot. He was in Brett's squadron......;)

He was in my squadron for his first sea tour - in the 90s, when 133 was a boat squadron, so don't lump me in with that Martian.

Brett

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
In todays enviroment and scrutiny, busting the rules like the Prowler fly-by and the Hornet guy is going to cost you. Are things like they used to be? No, but the accident rate is a fraction of what it used to be too.

There is no correlation between a lower accident rate and moving further away from the way things "used to be," at least as applied to the attitudes of naval aviators, or should I say those who aren't the 'stick-up-their-ass, no-liberty-until-morale-improves, I-live-for-safety-standdown' types.
NATOPS evolves, that's one reason.
Technology allows us to pick up trends and conduct a more thorough analysis in maintenance, operations and training in ways we never had before the early '90's.
Plug-and-play maintenance boxes have a positive impact on not only the airplanes but the maintainers, who will always choose a 15 minute swap out over a 2 hour evolution with a maintenance chief pressing you to hurry.
Airplanes trim themselves; you can't put a price tag on that.
For all we mocked bitching Betty when it rolled out, sometimes Betty has a clue before the pilot.
Multiple computers assisting the pilot's decisions with regards to flight controls may eliminate the pilot's ability to brag about flying a true stick-and-rudder airplane, but it has sure helped reduce the number of ejection seat functional demonstrations.
Pilots still do dumb things, and sometimes you bite the dog, and sometimes the dog bites you. That hasn't changed.
Please don't try and tie the improved accident rate on pantie-wearing aviation attitudes.

As for having fun at the limits of the rules, I have had plenty, at the right time and place........Overseas (especially in third world countries), in the middle of BFE and over the big blue sea.

Give me a break. There is no comparison of 'fun' between in "the middle of BFE and over the big blue sea" and raging around Stevens Pass in front of the ski bunnies. I'm not promoting flat-hatting, but I agree that it's those moments that do send the message that Naval Aviation is special and, when required, that the same bravado and demonstration of precise flying just witnessed will be the same that keeps the commies off our shores. The key, if caught, is to be able to say "yes, that was me, I was at "precise altitude," at"precise airspeed," my power was set at "per cent RPM," I cleared the area 'X' many times and ways and, while I shouldn't have done it, please don't confuse precise, controlled safe flight for reckless flathatting. I used the same precise flying principals I used in combat. My error was not taking into account the impact on local citizens. I humbly apologize."