• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Platform Selection E-2 vs P-8

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I like to refer to it as the Asterisk of Excellence. :) Think of it like making first increment for advancement based on performance.

I think the first time I ever saw it was the year/board or two after my O-4 board. Too bad......I could have hidden from my skipper for 24 hrs on Oct 1 a whole year earlier.....:)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I had a SWO buddy get selected and merit reordered. He told me that while it was nice to get promoted earlier, it ended up having ramifications in which now his timing was impacted, had to shift gears, and get into his next milestone (CDR afloat) sooner so he can complete that before being in zone for O-6. If he was a "normal" selection and promoted the following year (i.e. a 1 Sept promotion), it would have given him more time on shore duty before getting into the sea slating process sooner.

I can imagine the other URLs including aviation are the same.

I'd guess the mentality is along the lines of "just send it, skippers/CAGs will know how to deal with it"

And probably they won't. I could easily see this being something that ends up being a train wreck due to bad PERs messaging (which is nearly non-existent to begin with)

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I think the moment any screen writer learns what a patrol plane actually does is the moment they realize they can't really make a movie featuring patrol planes (at least not for modern audiences). Probably the most significant movie scenes we have is of the PBYs looking for the Japanese fleet in the 1976 Midway film. I was disappointed that they didn't feature in the 2019 film, but understand completely. The mission may be interesting to us, but the general public just isn't going to get it.

Interesting. My son occasionally works with a screen-writing team that does small projects. We were discussing the movie “Das Boot” and I said it would be interesting to make a modern version from the view of an ASW aircraft perspective (I think the P-3 was still the big one then). The crew would struggle with a series of emergencies and close runs (like non-friendly fighter close fly by’s) all while tracking a submarine that they’ve been told may be preparing to launch its missiles. The basic idea is somewhat standard, a group of people who can’t escape the challenges before them because they are “trapped” in a confined area central to their circumstances. Hello? Hollywood?

I would think, especially in the current political environment, the Hainan Island EP-3 incident would be a good movie in the same vein of Captain Philips interpersonal drama with the crew on the one hand and the diplomats and President working behind the scene on the other hand.

Last edited:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would think, especially in the current political environment, the Hainan Island EP-3 incident would be a good movie in the same vein of Captain Philips interpersonal drama with the crew on the one hand and the diplomats and President working behind the scene on the other hand.
Oh good lord, don’t give Mr “Born to Fly” any more of a swelled head.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Any knucklehead with a 5th grade education.

At this point I'd take a well trained dog over what we're getting from a couple of the DGS's out there.
There are some good PED folks out there but they're quickly scooped by the OGA and SOC missions.

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
I think the moment any screen writer learns what a patrol plane actually does is the moment they realize they can't really make a movie featuring patrol planes (at least not for modern audiences). Probably the most significant movie scenes we have is of the PBYs looking for the Japanese fleet in the 1976 Midway film. I was disappointed that they didn't feature in the 2019 film, but understand completely. The mission may be interesting to us, but the general public just isn't going to get it.

I keep hoping Hollywood would make Red Storm Rising into a 10 part miniseries. The P-3, H-3, and H-60 ASW in there is pretty dope. Not to mention the huge Tu-22 attacks against the Carrier.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the first time I ever saw it was the year/board or two after my O-4 board. Too bad......I could have hidden from my skipper for 24 hrs on Oct 1 a whole year earlier.....:)
Yeah it didn’t exist until after I put on O-4. But wouldn’t necessarily equate to excellence…. I know of a dude who got meritoriously reordered but then didn’t screen for OP-DH, and everyone’s screening for OP-DH these days!

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
This threads gone off the rails a bit, but if the OP is still deciding I just thought of something to consider: interest in the varying mission sets.

I don’t know what other unclass roles the E-2 fills other than AEW and as an Air Controller, but as a P-8 guy the community is currently doing and trains for: Counter narcotics, coastal and open water surveillance (ISR), merchant search and rescue, maritime strike and targeting, nuclear and diesel ASW, anti ship missile engagements (we actually carry weapons!), etc.

Not a you vs me thing, but consider the missions sets in addition to quality of life. And ultimately, take your selection in stride and be the best upgraded you can. Nobody cares what you “should’ve gotten” in the fleet.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Says the PMRF Range Commander. 😀 I get the God’s eye view of every underwater engagement. It’s excruciating.

It was probably even worse in the past when you had the silly mandatory 15 minute requirement to track passively. Coupled with the absolutely shitty Ranges of the Day you'd get in the winter, you would quickly go WINCHESTER or just go lost contact and have to wait on a friendly range hint.