• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Platform Selection E-2 vs P-8

OscarMyers

None
Caveat that I’ve been out of the E-2 world for a while so my info’s a bit dated, but I flew the Hawkeye 2000 birds in the Fleet and E-2D in flight test. The division of crew duties in the E-2 is pretty stark. The pilots don’t do much “mission” stuff and the FOs don’t have much to do with flying the plane. The former part may have changed with the D’s Tactical Cockpit - the pilots have the ability to bring up a mission display and they have a kneeboard with trackball and keyboard - but since they aren’t trained AICs they can “see” a lot more than they can “do”.

I liked being an AIC but I wish I’d known that as a Hummer FO most of the fun parts of flying you get to experience is limited to what you can see peeping through the little window in the back around the starboard nacelle. By the same token, I’ve known some E-2 pilots who felt kind of bored not being involved in the actual mission (most of them are happy to leave the nerd shit to the Trunk Monkeys, though) and the only “tactical” thing they do is flying around the Boat.

That said, the D is pretty cool. It can actually do what NGC promised it’d be able to do, the weapon system is light-years beyond what the APS-145 planes could do.
This has significantly changed in the last 5 years. Pilots are now being much more integrated into mission execution. When teaching at the rag 2018-20 I definitely noticed the "iron cockpit curtain" when flying with native E-2C Pilots (I'm a native E-2D dude). ICS improvements and community mentality has led to a significantly more integrated crew. Hell, they were in the early stages of a T-4O (tactical fourth operator) syllabus for pilots when I was there.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This has significantly changed in the last 5 years. Pilots are now being much more integrated into mission execution. When teaching at the rag 2018-20 I definitely noticed the "iron cockpit curtain" when flying with native E-2C Pilots (I'm a native E-2D dude). ICS improvements and community mentality has led to a significantly more integrated crew. Hell, they were in the early stages of a T-4O (tactical fourth operator) syllabus for pilots when I was there.
Thats interesting, I was wondering how that was going to play out, particularly when D “natives” started coming back from the Fleet to IP billets. I was flying it at Pax in the early days of Fleet introduction and the idea of mission integration for the front end was…not universally embraced. Some of the more senior pilots would hiss and throw holy water on anyone who even said “T4O,” and it wasn’t unusual to hear things like “Flight, CICO…will you please stop fucking around with the radar.”

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I think the moment any screen writer learns what a patrol plane actually does is the moment they realize they can't really make a movie featuring patrol planes (at least not for modern audiences). Probably the most significant movie scenes we have is of the PBYs looking for the Japanese fleet in the 1976 Midway film. I was disappointed that they didn't feature in the 2019 film, but understand completely. The mission may be interesting to us, but the general public just isn't going to get it.
Interesting. My son occasionally works with a screen-writing team that does small projects. We were discussing the movie “Das Boot” and I said it would be interesting to make a modern version from the view of an ASW aircraft perspective (I think the P-3 was still the big one then). The crew would struggle with a series of emergencies and close runs (like non-friendly fighter close fly by’s) all while tracking a submarine that they’ve been told may be preparing to launch its missiles. The basic idea is somewhat standard, a group of people who can’t escape the challenges before them because they are “trapped” in a confined area central to their circumstances. Hello? Hollywood?

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Interesting. My son occasionally works with a screen-writing team that does small projects. We were discussing the movie “Das Boot” and I said it would be interesting to make a modern version from the view of an ASW aircraft perspective (I think the P-3 was still the big one then). The crew would struggle with a series of emergencies and close runs (like non-friendly fighter close fly by’s) all while tracking a submarine that they’ve been told may be preparing to launch its missiles. The basic idea is somewhat standard, a group of people who can’t escape the challenges before them because they are “trapped” in a confined area central to their circumstances. Hello? Hollywood?
Considering the P-8 effectively has no self defense other than running away, a close fly by is the least of my concerns. I’m worried about the bad guys with current missiles hundreds of miles away.

For it to truly be realistic, the tacco would be trying to plan buoy patterns while the EWOs are heating up hot pockets in the oven.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Considering the P-8 effectively has no self defense other than running away, a close fly by is the least of my concerns. I’m worried about the bad guys with current missiles hundreds of miles away.

For it to truly be realistic, the tacco would be trying to plan buoy patterns while the EWOs are heating up hot pockets in the oven.
Fair enough…but I didn’t say it needed to be “realistic.” One of the NFO characters could have the call sign - Hot Pockets.

taxi1

pilot
Some of the more senior pilots would hiss and throw holy water on anyone who even said “T4O,” and it wasn’t unusual to hear things like “Flight, CICO…will you please stop fucking around with the radar.”
The home run would be a top notch EO/IR ball for the pilots to fuck with. Use some sort of wizardry to slave it to radar hits, but also just let them look around. Boats or goats, depending on the theatre.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The home run would be a top notch EO/IR ball for the pilots to fuck with. Use some sort of wizardry to slave it to radar hits, but also just let them look around. Boats or goats, depending on the theatre.
When I was at Pax I actually saw a pic of an E-2 with an EO/IR ball on the nose. Took the place of the old LOX ball. I asked one of the Grumman graybeards about it and he said it was a proof of concept for some sort of optical TBM tracking system they were fucking around with in the early 2000s. Obviously never went anywhere, but it can be done.

It was actually crazy how many things I'd heard for years were "impossible" on the Hummer were actually designed, built, installed, and tested. APU, galley, proper shitter...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
When I was at Pax I actually saw a pic of an E-2 with an EO/IR ball on the nose. Took the place of the old LOX ball. I asked one of the Grumman graybeards about it and he said it was a proof of concept for some sort of optical TBM tracking system they were fucking around with in the early 2000s. Obviously never went anywhere, but it can be done.

It was actually crazy how many things I'd heard for years were "impossible" on the Hummer were actually designed, built, installed, and tested. APU, galley, proper shitter...
These days every airplane should have some type of EO/IR ball on it.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Although not exactly the same, you can watch some good cockpit videos of a C-2 on the @flyrobroy YouTube page.

An example.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hmm. Who would PED it?
Honestly, a Pilot or NFO could do the job well enough. But the Intel community's rice bowl is not only strong, but littered with legalese that makes it so they are the only one's who can do it. It's not that they're good at it.

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

None

1718853665646.gif

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Honestly, a Pilot or NFO could do the job well enough. But the Intel community's rice bowl is not only strong, but littered with legalese that makes it so they are the only one's who can do it. It's not that they're good at it.
What does PED mean in that context?