• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Power, wave off, abort, $#%$, Eject!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
So here's a question... since day 1, I've been taught "waveoffs are free." Are they not free for F/W boat ops?

What do you mean by free? There are pattern wave-off's, foul deck wave-offs, wave-off's for wind, etc. In the end, a wave-off will save someones butt. Though a pattern wave-off will lower your grading average...but you'll be alive.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
wave-off's for wind

S-3s need not apply.. We never got those... More like Sugar calls of "Axial" or "Starboard" and then that was when paddles was "hooking" us up.. Nothing like the 'War Hoover' to ring in the bad deals! :D

And not even the upgrade.. Those "Blind Pig Fvuckers"!!! At least got the occasional SHOTB.. I think that was the shorthand.. Been a while!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm with you Bunky...maybe he was thinking of a FDWO.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
It begins from your first Fam flight, and really kicks into high speed LSO talk/deciphering, during FCLP's and CQ, when you are sitting there after a period and 'charting' your trends trying to get ready for the next day.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or perhaps we're talking "free" as it applies to field landings. I also remember hearing things such as "waveoffs don't cost you anything" in terms of being a ble to safely come around and try it again. Sure it takes time, burns fuel, etc., but overall they are still "free." At the field, no one will really bust your chops for taking your own waveoff (excluding FCLPs). In this case, they're "free." I guess I'm trying to put this in perspective from hearing it from the P-3 and helo bubbas teaching primary.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
On small decks they may cost you Green Deck and another 10 minutes orbiting.
Yeah, just wondering... Obviously the reaction time for a helo is much longer than F/W, but even so, I've never seen a waveoff at the boat. Seen some scary passes and heard about waveoffs in extremis, but never seen the magic "wave it off early" tactic that I got in the HTs/FRS.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
What do you mean by free? There are pattern wave-off's, foul deck wave-offs, wave-off's for wind, etc. In the end, a wave-off will save someones butt. Though a pattern wave-off will lower your grading average...but you'll be alive.

A wave off for wind? Never heard that one through 400+ CV traps. The ship won't (technically) trap you if the winds are out of parameters. I've landed in swirling winds and almost everyone in that cycle got an OK pass if you got aboard first time.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Or perhaps we're talking "free" as it applies to field landings. I also remember hearing things such as "waveoffs don't cost you anything" in terms of being a ble to safely come around and try it again. Sure it takes time, burns fuel, etc., but overall they are still "free." At the field, no one will really bust your chops for taking your own waveoff (excluding FCLPs). In this case, they're "free." I guess I'm trying to put this in perspective from hearing it from the P-3 and helo bubbas teaching primary.

In jets, more than one waveoff at the field will earn a stud a below average or worse, so they're not free. And in jets, people will not bust your chops for taking your own waveoff, but they will bust your grade sheet for not putting yourself in a position to get aboard every pass.

Maybe the P3 IP's have a different mindset about it in primary.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A wave off for wind? Never heard that one through 400+ CV traps. The ship won't (technically) trap you if the winds are out of parameters. I've landed in swirling winds and almost everyone in that cycle got an OK pass if you got aboard first time.

It happens relatively often for the COD. Our WOD requirements are 25 kts plus any adjustment for density. The ship will barely make that (I would hope by choice more than capability), and so paddles will wave us off when we don't have enough to recover.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In jets, more than one waveoff at the field will earn a stud a below average or worse, so they're not free. And in jets, people will not bust your chops for taking your own waveoff, but they will bust your grade sheet for not putting yourself in a position to get aboard every pass.

Maybe the P3 IP's have a different mindset about it in primary.

I think in primary they just want you to wave off an ugly pass early instead of trying to salvage a potentially dangerous landing. Gatordev probably has more insight into the instructional techniques

Being a helo guy, we don't get objectively graded on our shipboard landings, so this is somewhat foreign to me. Is it ever acceptable for a f/w pilot to wave themselves off while flying the ball?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The LSOs would always say that to the CAG or Admiral when they made a shitty pass. It used to piss me off to hear it when I was OOD and the wind was right down the angle. The Captain would laugh, pick up the phone and tell the Boss "Bull Shit, that was just a shitty pass. Tell Paddles to grow a pair." Of course when the Captain was flying, the LSOs gave him the same "courtesy" for his shitty passes....

I heard it a couple of times for the COD too. Those didn't bother me as much as you never pissed on the guy who was bringing your mail....

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Like kmac said, we needed 25 knots over the deck. I call BS on the ship not trying to land you with winds out of parameters. I've take at least 2 of my own wave-offs for winds being out of parameters. I needed 25 knots to come aboard, so when I hear '99, 19 knots starboard' and no correction after making the call, I'm not coming aboard. It has been a while since my LSO days but even F-18's require a certain amount of wind over the deck with the S-3 requiring the least. I think it's so low that the ship normally is going to have the minimum requirement. The COD requires the highest.