• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prowler Future

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
And that is how you differentiate between the two proper uses of the word.

For someone who intentionally slights his own service when typing its name on a regular basis, you sure are giving a lot of shit over an honest mistake.

ProwlerPilot

pilot
So as to the point of the thread, the mARINE cORP will not be getting the EA-18 until the navy accepts it, proves it, works out all the kinks, and writes the tactics for it. Then, just like ICAP III, they will see the shiny new toy in fact is a good idea, and will want one of their own. Not an official answer, just my opinion. More important question is what are they going to do for a RAG once the navy is complete with the transition? And will they still have to land on the ship to graduate? Don't see many LT's excited about a paddles tour in Cherry Point! Of course that might not be until the mARINE cORP is ready to get rid of their Prowlers too. Silly mARINES....

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
More important question is what are they going to do for a RAG once the navy is complete with the transition?
That was part of the "outside the box" thinking I was mentioning - and also the part that was (IMHO) largely unworkable. I won't post the details here, since it was primarily RUMINT - the whole RAG question, though, is illustrative of just how hard it's going to be for the Marines to keep a Prowler fleet viable once the Navy transitions. There's a lot of moving parts that need to be taken into account.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
So as to the point of the thread, the mARINE cORP will not be getting the EA-18 until the navy accepts it, proves it, works out all the kinks, and writes the tactics for it. Then, just like ICAP III, they will see the shiny new toy in fact is a good idea, and will want one of their own. Not an official answer, just my opinion. More important question is what are they going to do for a RAG once the navy is complete with the transition? And will they still have to land on the ship to graduate? Don't see many LT's excited about a paddles tour in Cherry Point! Of course that might not be until the mARINE cORP is ready to get rid of their Prowlers too. Silly mARINES....
just like the Navy is doing with the Osprey, eh? sit back & let the Corps do the R&D, then when all is said and done, jump on the bandwagon.

and you gentlemen underestimate the Marine Corps cheapness ... the Marine Corps will move the RAG to Cherry Point, shitcan the carrier qual requirement for the pilots, and with all the "hand-me-down" Prowlers we get from the Navy, survive for another decade or so when it either switches to an EW-JSF varient or get out of the EW business.

S/F

ProwlerPilot

pilot
just like the Navy is doing with the Osprey, eh? sit back & let the Corps do the R&D, then when all is said and done, jump on the bandwagon.

S/F

Is the Navy really looking into the Osprey? I didn't realize there was a demand for them. I'm not sure how we would use them as I think they are too big for small boys, and for the carrier for that matter. I wouldn't think they would be a good replacement to the 60 and I can't think of how else the Navy would us it. Not to mention that machine scares me!:eek: Saw some flying in El Centro and it just didn't look natural.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
This looks like a cool idea...
v22-1.jpg

ProwlerPilot

pilot
As if the Osprey doesn't have enough moving parts already, lets put a radar dome on the top!! That should make maintenance easier.

ProwlerPilot

pilot
[/I]
What if we lowered Q&A standards?:D:eek:[/QUOTE]

Aircrew: Uh, Chief. Looks like the rotors are gonna hit the dome thingy.
Maint: No sir, we synchronized it. She is good to go!!! Airman Jones did it himself....

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Raptor, my glasses are missing, and I simply can't read the text on that GIF. Is that thing supposed to do AEW, or ASW, or both?

Also, the comment about the V-22 not fitting on FFGs and DDs brought up another random question.

What kind of ships did Navy Phrogs operate off of, and what was their job other than vertrep?

P.S. What happened to the Seasprites?