• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prowler Future

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, would anybody care to speculate on whether or not the total number of Navy shockers or growlers, or whatever they are finally known as, will be increased if the USMC doesn't keep their prowlers?

Is it plausible to think that Navy would provide more aircraft to fill the gap, or will the EA availability be spread thinner?

I don't think there will be more of the Growlers bought than have already been planned for, except maybe attrition buys.

The reason is that while the Navy still buys into the concept of a dedicated EA aircraft I don't think the USAF or the USMC have or will. The USAF because they think small sensors or pods on a variety of aircraft will be able to do the job, a 'system of systems', and the USMC is more driven by cost than theory.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think there will be more of the Growlers bought than have already been planned for, except maybe attrition buys.

The reason is that while the Navy still buys into the concept of a dedicated EA aircraft I don't think the USAF or the USMC have or will. The USAF because they think small sensors or pods on a variety of aircraft will be able to do the job, a 'system of systems', and the USMC is more driven by cost than theory.

Historically, the USAF did adhere to the concept, but in the downsizing drills in early nineties, the EA-6B and EF-111 were debated at the JCS level in the Joint Warfighting Capability Assessment (JWCA) process with notion that one service would perform the mission (thye also looked at EC-135 vs EP-3 as well). The result was EA-6B would provide the support needed worldwide and requirement was set to baseline 104 Prowlers to Block 89A configuration and create additional Expeditionary squadrons integrated with USAF aircrews.

The Air Force declined to participate in the AEA Cost and Operational Effectiveness Analysis that led to the EA-18G because they didn't want to be forced to live with a Navy-led solution. Believe me, they have toyed with notion of a variety of dedicated airframes including an EA-52. They haven't played their cards yet because they don't want to buy Growlers and still want to buy more Raptors after they fix the ones they've got.

eurotrash

USMC SNA
This seems like the appropriate thread for a VMAQ related question, how often, or rare I guess, is it that a VMAQ would go on DET to the boat?