• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prowler Future

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Circa 2001 - check out the V-22 operating with the "JSF"
v22-jsf.jpg

@eddie AEW basically Maritime Airborne Surveillance and Control but all this was directed towards the Brits.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Circa 2001 - check out the V-22 operating with the "JSF"
v22-jsf.jpg

@eddie AEW basically Maritime Airborne Surveillance and Control but all this was directed towards the Brits.

Oh those sad, unfortunate looking Boeing JSFs...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
just like the Navy is doing with the Osprey, eh? sit back & let the Corps do the R&D, then when all is said and done, jump on the bandwagon.

and you gentlemen underestimate the Marine Corps cheapness ... the Marine Corps will move the RAG to Cherry Point, shitcan the carrier qual requirement for the pilots, and with all the "hand-me-down" Prowlers we get from the Navy, survive for another decade or so when it either switches to an EW-JSF varient or get out of the EW business.

S/F

I am thinking that one, too much money for too little return for the Marines right now.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Speaking to my compadres at the Q's in Cheerless Pit, I doubt there will be a follow on to the Prowler in the Marine Corps. Electronic attack may cease as one of the functions of Marine Aviation but anything can happen in eight years. The Prowler may go by the way of Monica's blue dress: stained, worn and put into a museum. Semper Fly, Frumby

jfulginiti

pilot
None
The only way we can have our own Prowler RAG is to use one of the four existing squadrons and go down to three deploying squadrons. As it is, you only get a full squadron of personnel and jets when you deploy. When you get home, you get raped by the MAG and the Wing. Not to mention that no Navy squadrons = no support/funding for parts, maintenance, etc.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only way we can have our own Prowler RAG is to use one of the four existing squadrons and go down to three deploying squadrons. As it is, you only get a full squadron of personnel and jets when you deploy. When you get home, you get raped by the MAG and the Wing. Not to mention that no Navy squadrons = no support/funding for parts, maintenance, etc.

Seems like the whole idea is becoming less and less likely/feasible, but it's not like the Corps hasn't soldiered on with other bad ideas in the past. My prediction (wild speculation, really), as soon as 129 transfers its last EA-6, Marine Prowlers will wither and die.

Brett

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
the Corps could standup a new squadron, in this case a FRS, by using hand-me-down Prowlers transferred from the Navy after they transition to the F/A-18G.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
the Corps could standup a new squadron, in this case a FRS, by using hand-me-down Prowlers transferred from the Navy after they transition to the F/A-18G.

The problem is that the Corps would have to fund the parts and engineering tail that the Navy now funds, which is a lot of money that the Corps does not have. Not only that, does the Corps want to make that big of an investment that they have basically lost control of for the past decade? I don't think so, my guess is that the Prwoler will be the last in the line of Marine EA aircraft.......

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The problem is that the Corps would have to fund the parts and engineering tail that the Navy now funds, which is a lot of money that the Corps does not have. Not only that, does the Corps want to make that big of an investment that they have basically lost control of for the past decade? I don't think so, my guess is that the Prwoler will be the last in the line of Marine EA aircraft.......

To further that line of thinking, would the Corps want to make that big an investment for an aircraft that likely wouldn't be around for more than 5 years after the Navy gets out completely? It just doesn't make sense to go through the trouble and expense of setting up a RAG, only to get rid of it a few years later.

Brett