• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quick to punch out?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Xero, there are times when you depart, like below a certain altitude, when you'll immediately punch out. It looked like he was so low trying to save the a/c would have been pointless.

You also have to look at why the it departed in the first place.

Cheers,
Bubba

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
XeroCool said:
Hey I am no way near an expert but does it seem like he doesnt even try to recover this?

http://www.wimp.com/aircraftcrashes/
~X

You don't know what happened. Maybe he lost his engine during the manuever? Maybe it was an uncommanded pitch-up? Maybe he fvcked it away and the plane started departing. That low to the ground, you do not have much time to react. Decide when to get out and decide early... that means before you even walk to the jet.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
XeroCool said:
Hey I am no way near an expert but does it seem like he doesnt even try to recover this?

Looks like .... it's too far gone. Get out. Goodbye.

Give it back to the taxpayers ........ :icon_rast

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Fly Navy said:
You don't know what happened. Maybe he lost his engine during the manuever? Maybe it was an uncommanded pitch-up? Maybe he fvcked it away and the plane started departing. That low to the ground, you do not have much time to react. Decide when to get out and decide early... that means before you even walk to the jet.

Looks like he had an engine malf at some point... notice the flame out the exhaust as he punched.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As I recall, this was one of early Gripen test flights and there was a flight control law disconnect/flaw so that airplane was not responding to pilot inputs...that low and after that hyacka...he got out just in time

According to a brief article in Aviation Week and Space Technology (February
27, 1989), the accident that destroyed the prototype
JAS-39 Gripen multirole combat aircraft was caused by a flight control software problem,
according to program officials at Saab.

The article doesn't go into any further detail, other than to say that Saab
officials are working on a revision of the Gripen's flight test program to
complete flight testing with the remaining four prototypes and still meet their
delivery date, which seems extremely optimistic as it is doubtful they have
already determined all the rework that will be required to fix the problems
that caused the crash, including (it appears) the need for a lot more software
QA.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Question for you NA's...

I realize there is a rule that you punch out at a certain altitude but isn’t there an unwritten 'naval aviator rule' to stay with the a/c as long as possible to make sure you are clear (if possible) of civilians on the ground. There is the factor on how fast your brick is falling but if the a/c is still somewhat controllable...wouldn’t you stay with it?

There are two videos/stories I have seen where naval aviators stay with the a/c until the last second to make sure it went into an unpopulated field. One was the F-14 that messed up a mock carrier go-around at an air show (?) and an F-4 (after a break from a 4-ship formation) at Miramar that had a flameout.

In training, you have to respond with the 'correct' answer, but personally I would stay (if possible) until I knew there was nothing else I could do.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
mules83 said:
...There are two videos/stories I have seen where naval aviators stay with the a/c until the last second to make sure it went into an unpopulated field. One was the F-14 that messed up a mock carrier go-around at an air show (?) and an F-4 (after a break from a 4-ship formation) at Miramar that had a flameout.

In training, you have to respond with the 'correct' answer, but personally I would stay (if possible) until I knew there was nothing else I could do.

Do people really believe that the aircrew who is fighting to control an aircraft on the edge of control can actually look out, see a school and avoid it. Usually this is shear luck and the public is attributed to the quotes saying "the pilot steered away from the grammar school."

The mishap at Willow grove a few years back involved a demo show Tomcat fully stalled at low altitude...it ain't flying under control at that point (as images and video show...full spoilers up on one wing and rolling in other direction) and it missed a school by the grace of god...not the pilot's inpuits. Guess what the press said..."pilot was a hero."

Make this analogy, sort of like coming around a corner at high speed in your car and you hit black ice..you start to spin end to end...do you think at that point you're looking out of the car and actually aware of a kid on the sidewalk in your line of fire?

Hope this makes sense...

T

TXHusker05

What was left to control of that aircraft in the video? It looked like it hit the airborne equivalent of a brick wall and practically died in its tracks. I think the pilot timed the ejection perfectly. Any sooner he punches out inverted (at that close to the ground, I don't think that would be wise) and any later it started to roll into an inverted dive even closer to the ground. The pilot knew what he was doing.

There is a point where you just have to say "fvck it." That was definitely it.

lucian_boy

i do not know if it is my computer or my internet connection but i when i click on the link to view the video it takes me to a blank page. is there another site where i can see this vid

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
XeroCool said:

Dude, do you see how close he is to the ground? It would've taken hundreds of feet to get his energy back with the nose back like that. I was amazed at how soon after he punched his aircraft hit the ground. He could have been riding it.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In this case the flight control software had a glitch and aircraft was doing wild stuff close to the ground and was about to depart so he did the prudent thing, get out while he could. If the aircraft was doing things on its own, not even Yeager could get it under control.