• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Does TC-12B = Queen Air?
Negative. The Queen air developed into the King Air (C-12). Queen Air's came out of the old Twin Bonanza - bigger, used big geared 6 cylinder Lycomings. Kind of the epitome of light/medium twins. I flew the Piper Navajo for a while - which competed with the Queen Air in that market. A handful of airplane.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Negative. The Queen air developed into the King Air (C-12). Queen Air's came out of the old Twin Bonanza - bigger, used big geared 6 cylinder Lycomings. Kind of the epitome of light/medium twins. I flew the Piper Navajo for a while - which competed with the Queen Air in that market. A handful of airplane.
Army used to fly the Queen Air before they went to the King Airs for elint.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Another fortunate local who had an issue at KANP (Lee Field), home of the USNA flying activity. The pilot took a good decision in a crowded area and aimed for the water. Although it was frozen over, it wasn’t enough to support a person much less a Piper, so down it went. Luckily a number of neighbors saw the whole thing and went out with kayaks to pull the pilot out of the water. I have met the guy at a few local fly-in’s and I’m glad he’s OK.

3CFDDB62-AF7D-4BB5-B97C-EFA3B90AC4A1.jpeg

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Another fortunate local who had an issue at KANP (Lee Field), home of the USNA flying activity.
My first flight was out of ANP. Do you know where it went down? Given the water was frozen, it must have been one of the creeks vs the Bay or South River.

number9

Contributor
Has anyone been to the National Museum of the USAF at Wright-Patterson AFB? I would have to assume it's worth a visit?

I'm in Ohio visiting the in-laws and Dayton is about an hour's drive from here.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
My first flight was out of ANP. Do you know where it went down? Given the water was frozen, it must have been one of the creeks vs the Bay or South River.
The news is saying he crashed in Beards Creek, which is the waterway just west of the airfield. I did IFS there (but didn't go to USNA). I distinctly remember feeling the aircraft dip every time I crossed over the creek, presumedly due to the thermal difference between hot runway/earth and cold water in the summer.
Screenshot_20221228-071044_Maps.jpg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The news is saying he crashed in Beards Creek, which is the waterway just west of the airfield. I did IFS there (but didn't go to USNA). I distinctly remember feeling the aircraft dip every time I crossed over the creek, presumedly due to the thermal difference between hot runway/earth and cold water in the summer.
View attachment 37204
Nailed it….the answer to location…not the creek.

Reactions: IKE

GroundPounder

Has anyone been to the National Museum of the USAF at Wright-Patterson AFB? I would have to assume it's worth a visit?

I'm in Ohio visiting the in-laws and Dayton is about an hour's drive from here.
It's beyond worth the trip, you could spend 2 or 3 days there if you take your time with all the exhibits. .My info is a few years old, but it was not a pain to get in to the facility, although I believe you have to sign up to be ferried over to the Presidential planes hanger.

Edit to add a funny story.

We were looking at Bockscar, and I was trying to explain the significance to my 10 year old son. He was taking it in, but at the same time, not really. I tell him to stand there for a second a make sure he gets it in his memory, as it will mean something to him one day. As we are standing there, a group of 5 teenage kids come up, laughing and joking start taking pictures and generally acting the fool. Had I been able to communicate with them, I would have corrected them on the spot. However, seeing as they were Japanese kids, and I don't speak Japanese, I couldn't.

My wife and I looked around to make sure we were not on some prank video, it was that unbelievable.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It's beyond worth the trip, you could spend 2 or 3 days there if you take your time with all the exhibits. .My info is a few years old, but it was not a pain to get in to the facility, although I believe you have to sign up to be ferried over to the Presidential planes hanger.

Edit to add a funny story.

We were looking at Bockscar, and I was trying to explain the significance to my 10 year old son. He was taking it in, but at the same time, not really. I tell him to stand there for a second a make sure he gets it in his memory, as it will mean something to him one day. As we are standing there, a group of 5 teenage kids come up, laughing and joking start taking pictures and generally acting the fool. Had I been able to communicate with them, I would have corrected them on the spot. However, seeing as they were Japanese kids, and I don't speak Japanese, I couldn't.

My wife and I looked around to make sure we were not on some prank video, it was that unbelievable.
The COVID era renovation and updates are amazing additions and improvements. Easy access now to everything even presidential aircraft. I think the WW2 and SEA galleries are the best. Don't overlook the displays of flight equipment and weapons. These are so well curated.