• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Beating up the pattern at KOXD today and watched a beautiful Bell206B3 come in for fuel. Curious I shutdown to chat - privately owned Helo, flown Part 91 purely for pleasure. Beautiful aircraft. Owner is a retired Army guy. He was a little vague about how one affords to feed and fly such a machine, but the aircraft was first rate all over - super clean. N206AC.
PXL_20221228_200936507~2.jpg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Beating up the pattern at KOXD today and watched a beautiful Bell206B3 come in for fuel. Curious I shutdown to chat - privately owned Helo, flown Part 91 purely for pleasure. Beautiful aircraft. Owner is a retired Army guy. He was a little vague about how one affords to feed and fly such a machine, but the aircraft was first rate all over - super clean. N206AC.
View attachment 37205
For turbines they aren’t bad on fuel, about 24 GPH. The market is flooded with 206’s so you can nab one for a “decent” price (around $500,000). If the blades are good and the engine cared for, the long-term maintenance is costly, but probably less than a complex piston twin over 10 years (again, assuming the engine is cared for). Annuals aren’t too bad. If I decide to go over to a turbine ship I’d aim for a 206B or an Enstrom 480b. I’d only do it to do more mountain flying.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I’ll add another note. I got to fly the new Jet Ranger X and it is fantastic. The start up is simple and the collective simply has a switch that goes from “Idle” to “Fly.” Lift the collective and off you go! Add to that, they have bags of power available. To be honest, I am surprised the Navy passed these up. If I win some pocket money in the lottery I’ll snap up a 505.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I’ll add another note. I got to fly the new Jet Ranger X and it is fantastic. The start up is simple and the collective simply has a switch that goes from “Idle” to “Fly.” Lift the collective and off you go! Add to that, they have bags of power available. To be honest, I am surprised the Navy passed these up. If I win some pocket money in the lottery I’ll snap up a 505.

They aren't IFR capable, nor have capacity for all the BS the Navy wanted.

They could have gotten 407s, but went with an off-brand Italian label that breaks a lot.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
They aren't IFR capable, nor have capacity for all the BS the Navy wanted.

They could have gotten 407s, but went with an off-brand Italian label that breaks a lot.
The 407 is too nice for kids to fly.

ChuckMK23

pilot
I got up close to the 505 at HAI '19 in Hotlanta. I was super impressed and the cockpit ergonomics were amazing even for my 6'4 frame. The transmission and drive system is are all built and based off of the l4 which if you've ever flown it is pretty smooth for a two bladed system. The 505 is awesome and it will definitely take the market by storm. The acquisition cost brings tears to my eyes so..

ChuckMK23

pilot
Picture taking this afternoon of Kentucky speedway which for going on 2 years now, The Ford motor company has leased as a storage facility for new Ford F-150 pickup trucks that are awaiting electronics and semiconductor chips before they can be delivered to dealers. The entire infield and the parking lots are stacked full of brand new vehicles. An indication that the supply chain woes are not over quite yet,...

PXL_20221228_211636960.jpg

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

pilot
Chuck, how much Graeter's do I need to buy you to go up in that thing?!
You would have to be a pilot-rated active member of CAP or an AF officer, rated pilot or NAV on AD, Reserve or Guard! I'd have to put you on orders and our DO at HQ in MXF (an O-5) would then approve!

Last edited:

number9

Contributor
You would have to be a pilot-rated active member of CAP or an AF officer, rated pilot or NAV on AD, Reserve or Guard! I'd have to put you on orders and our DO at HQ in MXF (an O-5) would then approve!
Let me rephrase: how much Graeter's would the guy at HQ need? :D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That reply belongs in the USAF vs USN thread. Reminded me of the crazy process the AF was going to put me through for a back seat ride in a TA-7. It didn't matter I was active duty, had the ESCAPAC seat Qual and all my physiology stuff current.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The Ford motor company has leased as a storage facility for new Ford F-150 pickup trucks that are awaiting electronics and semiconductor chips before they can be delivered to dealers.

My dad's F-150 sat there for several months last year.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Relish your V-280 victory! An even distribution across the aviation industry base is a virtue. You and your colleagues at Bell will have meaningful work for decades to come while advancing vertical flight. The amount of our own Navy, Marine, CG single anchor TPS talent that Leonardo employed on TH-73 is impressive and it appears Leonardo management and engineering took their advice and expertise at every turn. TH-73 will be a win as it matures.