• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I wanted to get one last 2022 flight in today but the weather gods said “No!” I hope everyone has a Happy New Year!
When does the Grizocopter go into annual? How long will that take?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
First flight of ‘23 is in! Beautiful day considering yesterday’s crap…a short video of moving from the fuel pumps to my spot. The short landing was for a student in a -172 ( you’ll see him later) who was a bit freaked with the Griz-O-Copter sneaking around.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
First flight of ‘23 is in! Beautiful day considering yesterday’s crap…a short video of moving from the fuel pumps to my spot. The short landing was for a student in a -172 ( you’ll see him later) who was a bit freaked with the Griz-O-Copter sneaking around.

Looks like you graduated from the square pattern at OLF Spencer and OLF Santa Rosa!!!

GroundPounder

Another fortunate local who had an issue at KANP (Lee Field), home of the USNA flying activity. The pilot took a good decision in a crowded area and aimed for the water. Although it was frozen over, it wasn’t enough to support a person much less a Piper, so down it went. Luckily a number of neighbors saw the whole thing and went out with kayaks to pull the pilot out of the water. I have met the guy at a few local fly-in’s and I’m glad he’s OK.

View attachment 37200

Video of the rescue.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some of you may have gotten this just as I did. Griz gets props for doing his part by foiling Fate over a lonely West Texas field.

UISHST Monthly Safety Report for January 2023
Notice Number: NOTC2779
US Helicopter Safety Team (USHST)
Monthly Safety Report
January 2023

Fatal Accident Rate: 0.78 (+.23) above goal of 0.55 fatal accidents per 100K hrs by 2025
USHST Vision
:
A Civil Helicopter Community with Zero Fatal Accidents

“Safety by the Numbers” (Monthly Metrics):
Days since last Fatal helicopter accident: 44 Days : 02 Hours : 16 Minutes : 56 Seconds
Fatal Accident Rate (5yr avg)(CY2018-22) 0.78 Fatal Accidents per 100K Flight Hours
Fatal Accident Rate (CY2022) 18 Fatal Accidents per 100K Flight Hours

Average number of days
between fatal
accidents:
Longest time between
fatal accidents (past 5 yrs):
2018: 14 days
107 days (2020)
2019: 16 days
2020: 18 days
2021: 17 days
2022: 21 days

Loss of Control-Inflight (LOC-I), Unintended Flight into IMC (UIMC), Low Altitude Operations (LALT).
USHST continues to work on the implementation of 16 Helicopter - Safety Enhancements (H-SE) developed through data-driven analysis of 104 fatal accidents. The H-SE’s use Outreach, Policy, Technology/Equipment, and Training to reduce fatal accidents in these categories.

H-SE 124: Understanding of Basic Helicopter Aerodynamics
FAA and industry to review and revise materials explaining basic helicopter aerodynamics to
emphasize recognition of unsafe aerodynamic situations and apply appropriate corrective actions.

1. FAA and industry to review the Helicopter Flying Handbook (FAA-H-8083-21A) and Helicopter Instructor’s Handbook (FAA-H-8083-4) and pertinent Advisory Circulars to assess explanations of unsafe aerodynamic situations and provide recommendations for revisions.
2. FAA to revise the Helicopter Flying Handbook and Helicopter Instructor’s Handbook and pertinent Advisory Circulars concerning unsafe aerodynamic situations, to include vortex ring state, low G mast bumping, and low RPM rotor stall guidance.
3. FAA to issue advisory circular on the Vuichard Recovery Technique from vortex ring state.
4. FAA to revise AC 61-83, as amended (Nationally Scheduled, FAA-Approved, Industry-Conducted Flight Instructor Refresher Course) to add critical helicopter aerodynamics to the core topic list.
5. USHST SEA Training Team to develop presentations/promotional materials regarding identification of and response to vortex ring state, low RPM rotor stall, and low G mast bumping for use by the training community.

US Helicopter Safety Team Press Release (Nov 2022): USHST Searching for Next Industry Co-Chair

Helicopter Safety OUTREACH events:
· Next USHST All Hands Webinar - February 23, 2023, 1pm EST Register Today!
Previous All Hands - November 14, 2022
· ROTOR Helicopter Association International - Upcoming Events
· Helicopter Safety Alliance - Upcoming Events

JOIN/FOLLOW USHST
USHST Facebook (2541 Members) USHST LinkedIn USHST Twitter
For any questions regarding the information within this notice please contact Clarke Pleasants, Program Chair-Rotor, ERAU, at 928-7774730 or email at william.pleasants@erau.edu
This notice is being sent to you because you selected "Helicopter Operations" in your preferences on FAASafety.gov. If you wish to adjust your selections, log into https://www.faasafety.gov/Users/pub/preferences.aspx where you can update your preferences.