• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

number9

Contributor
I've done a couple of intro flights over the last year or two. Now that I know I want to start the PPL process, what is the best way to order it? Should I start with the physical just in case there's something in there that would DQ me? Then take the FAA written, then start with lessons?

I live quite close to Hanscom AFB and they have an aero club which operates as a Part 61 school.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
@Griz882 TH-57s are, as we speak, being sold at auction. This young lady just took delivery of this TH-57B - And she is going to chronicle her first flight home in it.

Could the next Griz-O-Copter be just like this?

Screenshot_20240502-172628.png

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
@Griz882 TH-57s are, as we speak, being sold at auction. This young lady just took delivery of this TH-57B - And she is going to chronicle her first flight home in it.

Could the next Griz-O-Copter be just like this?

View attachment 40442
Navy birds? I thought they weren’t on an FAA maintenance schedule. Do you have an auction link?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've done a couple of intro flights over the last year or two. Now that I know I want to start the PPL process, what is the best way to order it? Should I start with the physical just in case there's something in there that would DQ me? Then take the FAA written, then start with lessons?

I live quite close to Hanscom AFB and they have an aero club which operates as a Part 61 school.

I would probably do the medical first, just to be sure, but it's not a requirement. You will have to get one before you solo, which isn't that far away from the starting point, so you don't really have anything to lose.

Hold off on the written, as there's a time limit and you'll still want to go to a ground school of some sort to get some extra instruction, plus the time spent studying (Gleim or ShepardAir are two go-to's).

I would also see about aircraft availability at whatever school you want to use. If they have one 152 for real cheap, but a lot of students, it might not be the deal you're hoping for because it will always be booked.

After having just recently gone back to a Part 61 school after a VERY long time of not having to interact with the "normal" FAA process, I had some interesting (to me, anyway) reactions. I was kicking around starting a thread but haven't had the time yet.

I think there's a FCC radio license in the mix. At least there was 40 years ago.

Not for a private in the U.S.

number9

Contributor
I would probably do the medical first, just to be sure, but it's not a requirement. You will have to get one before you solo, which isn't that far away from the starting point, so you don't really have anything to lose.

Hold off on the written, as there's a time limit and you'll still want to go to a ground school of some sort to get some extra instruction, plus the time spent studying (Gleim or ShepardAir are two go-to's).

I would also see about aircraft availability at whatever school you want to use. If they have one 152 for real cheap, but a lot of students, it might not be the deal you're hoping for because it will always be booked.

After having just recently gone back to a Part 61 school after a VERY long time of not having to interact with the "normal" FAA process, I had some interesting (to me, anyway) reactions. I was kicking around starting a thread but haven't had the time yet.
That was helpful, thank you! I made it through MEPS but I did have to get a couple of waivers, hence I want to make sure I can pass the medical first. There's a ground school running now but I think I'm too late to join the current evolution.

In terms of availability the club has four Warriors and three Arrows, plus a simulator. The unofficial website is here: https://www.hanscomaeroclub.com/

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That was helpful, thank you! I made it through MEPS but I did have to get a couple of waivers, hence I want to make sure I can pass the medical first. There's a ground school running now but I think I'm too late to join the current evolution.

In terms of availability the club has four Warriors and three Arrows, plus a simulator. The unofficial website is here: https://www.hanscomaeroclub.com/
Hanscom has a good club. I plan on joining after the Griz-O-Copter gets fixed so I can use their ramp (and buy their fuel) and avoid the pricey FBOs next door!

number9

Contributor
Hanscom has a good club. I plan on joining after the Griz-O-Copter gets fixed so I can use their ramp (and buy their fuel) and avoid the pricey FBOs next door!
I've been to one of the weekly (fortnightly?) meetings there and everyone seemed nice. And yeah, East Coast Aero Club is pricier...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

The days of a formal in person ground school for Private Pilot or even initial instrument are long over. There are excellent free and paid CBTs (e.g. Sporty's) or MIT does a semester long Private Pilot knowledge curriculum via Open Courseware. Both are excellent. I've had many students do it purely on their own with YouTube aided by the various FAA Handbooks - AFH, PHAK, AIM, FARs, etc. Your CFI simply endorses your preparation to take the Knowledge Test.

The FAA medical standards are very straightforward and conditions of ineligibility are well documented. The actual FAA medical in person is rather a formality. There is never, ever a reason for the in person medical to be the deciding factor in your medical certificate regardless of class.

Adult learners age 20-30's for Private Pilot typically solo ~15 hours and are ready for Practical Test around 55-60 hours total time. The shorter the overall timeline, the fewer hours required. I've had students with exceptional learning and cognitive abilities pass checkride at 45 hours.

The FAA knowledge test for Private and Instrument are designed, psychologically, be be successfully passed by a motivated 17 year old with a 100 IQ.

Pro tip - on your initial meeting with your CFI, knock out TSA requirements and do the IACRA for Student Pilot Certificate.

Last edited:

number9

Contributor
The days of a formal in person ground school for Private Pilot or even initial instrument are long over. There are excellent free and paid CBTs (e.g. Sporty's) or MIT does a semester long Private Pilot knowledge curriculum via Open Courseware. Both are excellent. I've had many students do it purely on their own with YouTube aided by the various FAA Handbooks - AFH, PHAK, AIM, FARs, etc. Your CFI simply endorses your preparation to take the Knowledge Test.

The FAA medical standards are very straightforward and conditions of ineligibility are well documented. The actual FAA medical in person is rather a formality. There is never, ever a reason for the in person medical to be the deciding factor in your medical certificate regardless of class.

Adult learners age 20-30's for Private Pilot typically solo ~15 hours and are ready for Practical Test around 55-60 hours total time. The shorter the overall timeline, the fewer hours required. I've had students with exceptional learning and cognitive abilities pass checkride at 45 hours.

The FAA knowledge test for Private and Instrument are designed, psychologically, be be successfully passed by a motivated 17 year old with a 100 IQ.

Pro tip - on your initial meeting with your CFI, knock out TSA requirements and do the IACRA for Student Pilot Certificate.
Thanks for the reply Chuck. I've actually heard of the MIT OCW one before I used to be an avid reader of Phil Greenspun's aviation writing. He has a blog now too but his politics don't really line up with mine...

I was misdiagnosed with ADHD in the late 2010s, so I needed a waiver from Big Navy in order to commission 3 years ago. I imagine the FAA medical will ask if I've ever been treated or diagnosed for it, which I assume is the only real stumbling block I'll face medically.

I'm in no rush to get the PPL but I do want to make the most efficient use of my time: between the day job, the Reserves and two kids I need to make sure my time is spent wisely where possible. I'm definitely aware of "the more often you fly, the easier it'll be to remember stuff" mantra!