• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reluctant NFO Select; Conflicted and need advise.

jacobsolo

If you don't want to be an NFO don't take the spot, you cannot count on converting to pilot later. If you aren't happy no one around you will be happy, and this is going to be about 8 years of your life.

There is a path to SNA after declining SNFO, I have had a few do it but they had a few things in common, first was an explanation on why they declined initially, and second was a PFAR of 8 or greater.

If you decline to get Lasik you need to plan on retaking the ASTB and you need to get a much better score.
Simple, great advise. Thank you! I do believe I can get an 8 PFAR if I retake.

jacobsolo

There's been some good perspectives offered by the 13XX mob, so no need to repeat that drum.

With that said, we're only going off your side of the story here and your recruiter isn't entirely wrong. It is *possible* to transition from NFO to Pilot? Sure, however like what others have said, it can be difficult and really just a handful of candidates get in.

Looking at your post history, it appears you were initially excited to be going to OCS as an NFO, but now you're not?

You need to do some research and soul searching to figure out what exactly do you want to do. Do you want to serve/be an officer + be an NFO or do you want to be a pilot (along with being an officers)? There is no wrong answer to this, this is your life, not ours. If you decline NFO, yes it can hurt your chances down the road, but like what others have said, it has happened and they were offered SNA/OCS as a previous NFO decline.

LASIK isn't 100% guaranteed, i.e. there can be some risks associated with it.

Look at the aviation threads, recent SNA selects are having to wait over a year to attend OCS. I don't think that will change for a while. Add in the LASIK surgery, applying AGAIN, and waiting to class up, assuming you're selected, you might not be shipping out until FY-25 or even FY-26.
Initially I was excited, but in retrospect I was largely trying to convince myself to be happy/that this is how things are supposed to go. You're completely right. I'm going to dig deep.

I'm also okay waiting that long to ship to OCS, if accepted. Based on some of these replies it seems like less time to wait than miraculously going from NFO to NA (if pilot were still my goal).

Thank you.

jacobsolo

My $0.02 as someone who got selected for SNFO, declined, and then was selected for SNA, it’s possible. Search around the forum and you’ll find folks who did the same.

Currently you have a golden ticket that guarantees you an opportunity to earn a commission as an officer in the Navy, and a NFO at that which is an awesome job. If you think you’ll be happy as a NFO, 100% go for it. If not, decline it, get the surgery, and reapply once you get the waiver. Explain your situation in your professional statement and you should be good.
Wow this is encouraging. If I may ask, how come you declined and how detailed was your explanation for doing so? Also, did you reapply with better ASTB scores?

jacobsolo

I was in your shoes, albeit a LONG time ago ('89)

I wanted NA, got selected for NFO with orders to AOCS. In my case, my vision was great. I had 20/15 in one eye and 20/10 in the other. Recruiter told me "due to numbers this month, you got NFO, needs of the Navy", BUT he said "don't worry, with your eyesight you can EASILY switch to NA once you get to Penscola and through NAMI" My mistake believing him, it is NEVER EASY to switch from NA to NFO, even before primary and especially after winging/sea tour.
Do some people do it? Of course, but there are very few spots, and it will take about 6 years before you can even apply for a transition (wait time, NIFE, wait time, primary, int, advanced, RAG, fleet tour)

In my case, I became an NFO, got the aircraft that I wanted, loved every minute of it and had no regrets. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't sit in the jet every day and wish I were in the left seat - especially seeing some of the knuckleheads that were there.

If you want to become a Naval Officer and fly, take the offer you have and make the best of it.

But if you're truly dead seat on being a pilot, 9 mos is not that long to wait. No guarantees you'll get a NA spot, but you might have regret if you don't give it your best shot.

Also concur with above - don't go cheap on LASIK, find the best doc you can, DO NOT shop docs based on price. it seems like a lot of $ now, but in the long run it won't matter, your eyes will

best of luck!
Thank you for sharing your experience, it really helps me! 6 years is a long time to wait and then the transition itself has very low odds. I do feel that if I were an NFO I'd feel the same way you did.

Also, what was your aircraft, if you don't mind?

jacobsolo

I’d recommend option 2. Some of the former recruiters, paging @FormerRecruitingGuru will have a better answer regarding your chances to pick up pilot if you decline selection as an NFO. However, if your heart is set on being a pilot, do not sign up to be an NFO.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my job. However, the odds of you being able to transition to pilot after becoming an NFO will be extremely low (approximately 5 NFOs per year get picked up), and that assumes your career timing will even allow it (which most certainly is not a guarantee).

Also, unless your heart is completely set on only becoming a Naval Aviator, I would recommend exploring pilot opportunities with other branches as well. There are a ton of other great options out there, and going Navy is by no means the only way to have an awesome career as a military pilot.
Thanks for this! Helps a lot.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only thing I can add to this post is that, whatever you do, don't burn a bridge to earning some kind of gold wings. I was in your shoes over 20 years ago as a mid (!). I wanted to be an NA, but my eyes went bad in middle school. Went into NROTC wanting to be an NFO because it was all I could get. Halfway through, they authorized laser surgery for SNA candidates. I was lucky enough to have Mom and Dad able and willing to pay, so I got it.

Ultimately got winged as a jet aviator out of Meridian, then got my ass kicked learning to CQ my fleet aircraft. Got sent BACK to flight school by a three-star admiral to get another set of wings (thanks, Killer). And trust me when I say flying as an NFO was the best second-choice job I ever had in my life. I'm a fortysomething old man now, and I'm consigned to working in the private sector and doing staff work for Big Reserves (read: cube farm) until I either stop getting promoted or get medically retired. But being an NFO was the best second chance I ever got, so don't turn your nose up at it. You'd be amazed at the opportunities it gives you for an active and a reserve career. I wouldn't be where I'm at in both my military and civilian careers without having been an EA-6B ECMO who got a lucky break when the reserves came calling for an active duty mobilization.

I still wear both my pilot AND my NFO wings on my uniform, NFO wings on top. What with all this Magic Carpet stuff going on, I'd kill to get a NATOPS qual and a CQ period in the front seat of a Growler, just to prove I could do it. But that's not going to happen, and what I did get to experience did NOT suck. What would have sucked was pitching a fit as a teenager or twentysomething, losing my chance at any of it, and spending my twenties and thirties as a SWO or in a civilian cube farm.

jacobsolo

The only thing I can add to this post is that, whatever you do, don't burn a bridge to earning some kind of gold wings. I was in your shoes over 20 years ago as a mid (!). I wanted to be an NA, but my eyes went bad in middle school. Went into NROTC wanting to be an NFO because it was all I could get. Halfway through, they authorized laser surgery for SNA candidates. I was lucky enough to have Mom and Dad able and willing to pay, so I got it.

Ultimately got winged as a jet aviator out of Meridian, then got my ass kicked learning to CQ my fleet aircraft. Got sent BACK to flight school by a three-star admiral to get another set of wings (thanks, Killer). And trust me when I say flying as an NFO was the best second-choice job I ever had in my life. I'm a fortysomething old man now, and I'm consigned to working in the private sector and doing staff work for Big Reserves (read: cube farm) until I either stop getting promoted or get medically retired. But being an NFO was the best second chance I ever got, so don't turn your nose up at it. You'd be amazed at the opportunities it gives you for an active and a reserve career. I wouldn't be where I'm at in both my military and civilian careers without having been an EA-6B ECMO who got a lucky break when the reserves came calling for an active duty mobilization.

I still wear both my pilot AND my NFO wings on my uniform, NFO wings on top. What with all this Magic Carpet stuff going on, I'd kill to get a NATOPS qual and a CQ period in the front seat of a Growler, just to prove I could do it. But that's not going to happen, and what I did get to experience did NOT suck. What would have sucked was pitching a fit as a teenager or twentysomething, losing my chance at any of it, and spending my twenties and thirties as a SWO or in a civilian cube farm.
Thanks for sharing man. So you think it may be wise to role with the opportunity I’m given and make the most of it.

In your experience, did you know or hear of anyone who served their time as an NFO and became a pilot after with an age waiver, either active or reserves?

MGoBrew11

pilot
Thanks for sharing man. So you think it may be wise to role with the opportunity I’m given and make the most of it.

In your experience, did you know or hear of anyone who served their time as an NFO and became a pilot after with an age waiver, either active or reserves?
You won’t need an age waiver to go from FO to pilot unless you’re already pretty old for the program. Most recent message says you need to be 32 or younger.

jacobsolo

MGoBrew11

pilot
Right, I meant NFOs that fully served their 8 year commitment and then went on to be a pilot. I'm wondering if that's been done.
The timing for that won’t work. For most of these programs in the Navy where you change designators there is a very narrow time window to make the jump. If you read that instruction it mentions YG17. Probably meaningless to you now, but YG = year group, 17 = 2017. So you have to have commissioned in 2017 or later to apply this year.

And you can only apply once you’ve gotten all your quals/likely had your “highwater FITREP” in your fleet squadron.

Realistically if you go NFO you may only have 1 of these boards to apply to. Maybe 2 if you’re lucky. That one or two boards would occur well before you hit your minimum commitment for NFO.

Last edited:

BB Poison

Contributor
Wow this is encouraging. If I may ask, how come you declined and how detailed was your explanation for doing so? Also, did you reapply with better ASTB scores?
I wrote a letter explaining my reasoning for declining and gave it to my recruiter, that’s how you officially decline your selection. Then, when it came time to reapply, I added a preface to my professional statement asking the board to reconsider me and highlighting improvements to my application.

I did reapply with better scores, I was selected for SNFO after applying with a 61 6/6/6, and selected for SNA after reapplying with a 65 7/7/7. My first time I applied with SNA as my first choice and SNFO as my second, but needless to say my second time I only applied for SNA.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Just to throw out a couple things: When I was in your shoes, I applied Pilot only. If I wasn't accepted, I would have considered Nuke. I was wrong. NFOs still get to wear pajamas and brown boots to work and have a great job.

Also, while definitely no guarantee, the NFO to pilot program isn't always that hard. A fleet NFO buddy of mine got picked up for the program. It's true there are only about 5 per year; only 6 applied that year (around 2016ish?). Be a good NFO, don't be the guy that complains about not being a pilot, and eventually let your DH know your intentions to apply (after being in the squadron and doing your job well for at least a year). If you can't do those things and would be bitter about being an NFO, DO NOT TAKE IT, and take your chances with reapplication (which others have commented about enough above).