• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reluctant NFO Select; Conflicted and need advise.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Listen, BOB had his day. He got his DFC. He’s terrific. But the navy isn’t going to just look the other way and put his blind ass in the front seat.

View attachment 35735
Threadjack: BOB was by far the best callsign of TG2, partly bc it worked on multiple levels (sure he’s a baby-faced NFO, but I picture him showing up to a unit morale event/ picnic wearing a baby bjorn with his wife and kids in tow) and it was also an acronym. In TG1, I loved how they gave the audience a tiny easter egg about Goose’s callsign when he pinches Meg Ryan’s toosh. TG2 wasn’t clear to me why Rooster and the others got their callsigns.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When is the Navy going to grow up and realize that taking Americans to be pilots with 20/40 or worse vision is not a show stopper?
Stop the madness!

When they can't get butts in seats. I have to believe that's the main reason, at this point. When my dad went to OCS in 1966, you had to have 20/20 or better. I think it changed in the '90's.

exNavyOffRec

When they can't get butts in seats. I have to believe that's the main reason, at this point. When my dad went to OCS in 1966, you had to have 20/20 or better. I think it changed in the '90's.
That is basically what the head doc at N3M told me in response to a waiver request, he said "why should we waive this condition when there are plenty other to pick from that don't need a waiver"

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is basically what the head doc at N3M told me in response to a waiver request, he said "why should we waive this condition when there are plenty other to pick from that don't need a waiver"
The N3M doc should *maybe* be assessing the overall increase in aeromedical risk to Naval Aviation of entertaining a waiver. He certainly shouldn’t be evaluating the size or quality of the recruiting pool (nor is he even capable to do so) and using that to justify backtracked logic for waiver decisions.

How long ago was that?

exNavyOffRec

The N3M doc should *maybe* be assessing the overall increase in aeromedical risk to Naval Aviation of entertaining a waiver. He certainly shouldn’t be evaluating the size or quality of the recruiting pool (nor is he even capable to do so) and using that to justify backtracked logic for waiver decisions.

How long ago was that?
The would of course also evaluate the risk to Naval Aviation, if the risk is low but there are candidates that don't need a waiver then why waiver, that was the thought and it was several years ago, but that mindset has been in place years before and probably still in place now.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The would of course also evaluate the risk to Naval Aviation, if the risk is low but there are candidates that don't need a waiver then why waiver, that was the thought and it was several years ago, but that mindset has been in place years before and probably still in place now.
That’s a very myopic perspective. “I could make the Navy better by increasing the pool of candidates, but why do that- it may make my job marginally more difficult?”

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
That’s a very myopic perspective. “I could make the Navy better by increasing the pool of candidates, but why do that- it may make my job marginally more difficult?”

I get what @FormerRecruitingGuru is saying here. He’s not inferring the Navy won’t waive easy conditions that are typically good, but rather hard or very complicated conditions that typically side with a no.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Your vision pun is noted and appreciated, sir.