• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reluctant NFO Select; Conflicted and need advise.

HuggyU2

None
When they can't get butts in seats.
Irrelevant argument.

It's all about the "filters" that they use to make the cut.

How about they toughen requirements so that you have to be a technical degree from an Ivy League School, 3.8 GPA and have a PPL... but allow you to have 20/70, correctable to 20/20?

They can shift the filters to attract the "butts in seats" numbers that they need. My point is that those filters... especially the 20/20 filter... currently eliminates some very solid candidates.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Irrelevant argument.

It's all about the "filters" that they use to make the cut.

How about they toughen requirements so that you have to be a technical degree from an Ivy League School, 3.8 GPA and have a PPL... but allow you to have 20/70, correctable to 20/20?

They can shift the filters to attract the "butts in seats" numbers that they need. My point is that those filters... especially the 20/20 filter... currently eliminates some very solid candidates.

I don't disagree. I think we're arguing the same thing, you're just commenting on it at the micro level versus my comment was on the macro, drive-by post level.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When is the Navy going to grow up and realize that taking Americans to be pilots with 20/40 or worse vision is not a show stopper?
Stop the madness!
When they can't get butts in seats. I have to believe that's the main reason, at this point. When my dad went to OCS in 1966, you had to have 20/20 or better. I think it changed in the '90's.

My vision when I got selected for NFO was far worse than when my dad was rejected when he tried to enlist in the Army in 1951. Times change, standards change and as Gator points out they will probably do so when the Navy needs to change them. Given the recent and almost certain to continue recruiting difficulties I imagine more than a few medical entrance standards are going to get a harder look sooner or later.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Times change, standards change and as Gator points out they will probably do so when the Navy needs to change them.
Times certainly change. I am not certain, historically, how much influence recruiting short falls have. When I came in it was 20/20 for SNA. No surgery, no waivers. It was 20/20 forever. When it changed to the current uncorrected standard, I don't recall having any difficulty getting SNA applicants. Surgery waivers came about not because of the need to fill seats, but after a typical government super slow review process of medical studies that resulted in incremental approval (submariners on active duty came first if I recall).

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Times certainly change. I am not certain, historically, how much influence recruiting short falls have. When I came in it was 20/20 for SNA. No surgery, no waivers. It was 20/20 forever. When it changed to the current uncorrected standard, I don't recall having any difficulty getting SNA applicants. Surgery waivers came about not because of the need to fill seats, but after a typical government super slow review process of medical studies that resulted in incremental approval (submariners on active duty came first if I recall).

Talking with those in the recruiting field right now, they are not hurting for SNA candidates.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With Top Gun just coming out recently too, I can only imagine the number of applicants will increase soon
Ah, but that will include the same sort of folks I had ringing my phone off the hook after TG1. Thirty-five year old's who claimed to have wanted to fly in the Navy since they were 8, but somehow were not motivated enough to apply until they see a Hollywood production.