• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Retirees subject to recall....

KimberlyD

While sitting at the retiree's fave P'Cola spot (the golf green) I overhead a few guys talking ab this. Basically when you have your retirement in your pocket & are out in the "real world" again, you can badmouth our President, SecDef, VA Med facilities, etc all you want BUT if you get recalled to AD service, you are once again bound by the UCMJ & can be prosecuted for those type of activities. Many of these gentlemen seem to think that the gov't is going to "target" those who "speak out" re: the deterioration of their benefits &/or the way the VA Med system is treating their problems (specifically PTSD) & then prosecute them, eventually stripping them of any entitlements to retirement &/or VA benefits. I've checked this out & others http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/4/29/01944/8628 seem to agree. Using this idea, Little Timmy can & will be recalled IF he's suffering fr PTSD or some other condition causing him to use his VA Med benefits & is becoming a problem for the gov't (i.e. speaking out re: his "poor" care).

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
KimberlyD said:
... I overhead a few guys talking ....

Horse Hockey. Stop repeating rumors you hear in the mens room.

UCJM :

802. ART. 2. PERSONS SUBJECT TO THIS CHAPTER

(a) The following persons are subject to this chapter:

(4) Retired members of a regular component of the armed forces who are entitled to pay.

Nothing is more destructive to good order and discipline than a rumor monger. Get the straight scoop before passing on.:icon_rage

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Further, I know of no retirees that use VA facilities. Retirees have Tricare or Tricare for life, and military facilities (provided space is available) as well as Medicare.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know at least two that ended up in VA for operations...both Army dudes. Never asked why, but when I visited one of them, it wasn't even close to a standard hospital in looks or condition. I'm happy with Tricare and supplement to pick up the slack to allow my family to go to local "Doc in the Box" for urgent care and have a family practitioner that knows the family for routine stuff.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
heyjoe said:
... it wasn't even close to a standard hospital in looks or condition. ...

BTDT. Agree VA hospital are/have been in pitiful condition. Have a MD friend that quit VA because of the poor care he was able to give. IMHO the VA system has been abused to the detriment of some that are more deserving of care. Only MHO.

While on the subject, the two flagship medical centers, Bethesda Naval and Walter Reed are as different as night and day. Bethesda is bright, cheerful, fantastic service/treatment while WRAMC is grim, not so good service/treatment. This based on my actual experience. :(

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Chief said:
BTDT. Agree VA hospital are/have been in pitiful condition. Have a MD friend that quit VA because of the poor care he was able to give. IMHO the VA system has been abused to the detriment of some that are more deserving of care. Only MHO.

While on the subject, the two flagship medical centers, Bethesda Naval and Walter Reed are as different as night and day. Bethesda is bright, cheerful, fantastic service/treatment while WRAMC is grim, not so good service/treatment. This based on my actual experience. :(

And BRAC is giving Bethesda Naval more "stuff" while shutting down Walter Reed. Guess they got something right although Army folks there are howling in open press about it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ft. Lewis --- Madigan --- is 1st rate and so is Tripler, Territory of Hawaii, as far as military facilities go ... and generally, that ain't too far. For me??? TRICARE and/or MEDICARE and/or whatever "promises" are left over from my soon-to-be former employer.

You younger guys are yawning over this stuff --- "Retiree issues" ---- only a fool does that. You will be wearing these sooner than you think. Believe it ....

17.jpg

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Ahh, yes sooner than you think. And your outlook will change, for example
now, Happy Hour for me means a nap!

Pugs

Back from the range
None
A4sForever said:
From the ... just when you thought it was safe to go outside dept.:

While whistling a little tune, laughing and scratching all the way to Starbuck's, then the bank, then Home Depot, then the post office today ... look what shows up .....:eek:

I think ... check that: I know ... I need to squeeze some limes ... :icon_rast

Got a similar letter last month scheduling me for an IRR recall drill. Ummm you know I have an NOE right? Yep, it's just a drill. So Aug 5, I get paid a drill and travel to go down and muster. They'll find my torso harness would be a bit tighter and that a "laser" has worked on my eyes a bit so I can't imagine I'm going to find my butt filling a Martin Baker again any time soon!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
The Chief said:
Ahh, yes sooner than you think. And your outlook will change, for example
now, Happy Hour for me means a nap!

That's what happy hour means for me. But then again, I probably just enjoy sleeping too much.:D

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
That's what happy hour means for me. But then again, I probably just enjoy sleeping too much.:D
Or maybe it is because you are too young to legally drink alcohol?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Jolly Roger said:
"There are exceptions, of course, but as a general rule I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink" Fleet Admiral William F. Halsey
Ahhhhhhh ... Perfection ... :icon_rast