• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Return to active duty

Tickle

Does anyone out there have information on flyers returning to active duty after resigning their commission? Here are the stats - Former YG97 ECMO (PTI, NATOPs, FCF, etc). Resigned Sep 05 (O-3). Reason....money isn't everything. Fire away!

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone out there have information on flyers returning to active duty after resigning their commission? Here are the stats - Former YG97 ECMO (PTI, NATOPs, FCF, etc). Resigned Sep 05 (O-3). Reason....money isn't everything. Fire away!
Have you talked to a recruiter about this? Are you in the reserves? One time I had a recruiter explain to me that if you go longer than two years after resigning your commission, you have to start over i.e. start as an ENS.

Tickle

I think I'm good as far as timing (at least according to the instructions). i just don't know if it is feasible to get back to the squadrons.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I think I'm good as far as timing (at least according to the instructions). i just don't know if it is feasible to get back to the squadrons.
Your question comes up once in a blue moon around here, would you mind posting the names of the applicable instructions? They would be a good reference for the future.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

VAQ-209 at Andrews is looking for drilling reservists.

Tickle

Good point. I think there might be an opportunity with the SAU as well. I still want to see if I am able to jump in the pool completely and finish off twenty active. I could be a pipe dream but you never know.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good point. I think there might be an opportunity with the SAU as well. I still want to see if I am able to jump in the pool completely and finish off twenty active. I could be a pipe dream but you never know.

I haven't known anyone to go straight back to active duty. If you make it work be sure to give us the gouge for file. Best bet is to go to the reserves and get NATOPs qualified again, SAU or VAQ-209, then start maneuvering for active duty orders. That is the only way I have seen it work.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

There are plenty of opportunities in the DC area for former ECMO's, I can tell you that from personal experience. Keep in mind VAQ-209, they are actively looking right now for people. Here is a link to a message their recently departed AIO, and member of this board, posted. Applications are due 16 May:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142206&highlight=vaq-209

If you have any questions, PM him and he would be more than willing to talk to you.

I know very few people first hand who have come back on active duty from time off, Schnugg is one on this board that did. He posted his experience recently and you can PM him as well, I am sure he would be willing to talk to you too. From what little I have seen, guys like that are generally cannon fodder for those that stayed in. But like I said, my experience is limited.

Tickle

I will definitely take it on the chin my first set of orders. But if I can make it to a DH tour, it should come out in the wash. There might be an opportunity to plus up the SAU for about a year (I guess with a CAT IV syllabus it will be almost a year and a half) to help with the Growler (interesting name) transition. I would have to find gainful employment with a defense contractor on the Rock after that and keep flying part time with the SAU. Just keeping my fingers crossed and mind open.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I haven't known anyone to go straight back to active duty. If you make it work be sure to give us the gouge for file. Best bet is to go to the reserves and get NATOPs qualified again, SAU or VAQ-209, then start maneuvering for active duty orders. That is the only way I have seen it work.

I've know several and one is now a Rear Admiral (upper half) and the other became a CO. Depends on needs of the Navy (especially when year groups are sucking)

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
One word of warning to the OP; the three guys I know who returned were initially told that they would get back on a solid career track right after taking a hard-fill for the team (Kitty Hawk/Essex, etc). Only one of the three got back in the cockpit (C-12's in Oki) and none got a DH slot back in the days where there wasn't even an official screen.

The lesson as always - the Navy doesn't have hospitals for careers, only leper colonies. Be mentally prepared to take that hard job and not get a DH slot in return.

Tickle

I definitely don't have room to write my own ticket after resigning. I will have to put PERS-43 on the top of my Christmas list and probably beg and plead for a squadron CO (and XO since he will end up with me) to take a chance on me. I'm hoping the fact that I am a Weapons School grad with #1 Fitreps will help sway the jury. I just know that I have a lot to offer the community both tactically and for retention. I plan on making it my unofficial mission to have honest dialogue with JOs planning on getting out.

It is hard to make an informed decision to leave the Navy when you only know one side of the puzzle. I would recommend that any JO buy some of their O-4s a beer and have a frank conversation. If you are getting out for money, I would recaculate the ACCP and other items. If it is to be around better quality people, you're making a mistake. Just make sure you know the real reason and try to think ten or twenty years down the road.

As for my case, I tried to do the best I could in the Navy. I also loved developing FNGs when they came to the squadron. I had a sharp tongue but was very supportive (in my own way). I earned my MBA and transitioned to CIVFLEET. They say that past performance is an indication of future performance and that is true in civilian life. Honestly, corporate America is pretty easy. However, I think it is very hard if you were a top 20% flyer to turn off that part of your brain. I have done fairly well in civilian life. It is not nearly as satisfying as leading sailors (ADs are a unique group that only an Aircraft Divo could love) or being the SEAD lead on a mission.

I'm hoping I can find a sympathetic ear in BUPERS land. I'm not coming back because of failure on the outside. In fact it just the opposite. I'm willing to take a $40,000 cut in pay to be a part of something great. I'll take 100 bitching sailors over one whining civilian any day of the week. At least I know the sailors will practically kill themselves to get the bird airborne.

I know it is a long post but I think it helps to see that the motivation is genuine. And besides, nobody out here has ever seen the epic movie Super Troopers....how uncivilized!

MasterBates

I know it is a long post but I think it helps to see that the motivation is genuine. And besides, nobody out here has ever seen the epic movie Super Troopers....how uncivilized!

There are some places that don't suck that bad. When I was at a GM Tier 1 supplier, we would try to see how far one could get thru the day, while being able to speak "pythonese" the whole time.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I'm not saying that 20 in the Navy is for everyone (in fact it is probably for the minority). It seems like there are three categories of JOs. The top 20 percent are on fire and give 150% because they don't know how to do it any other way. The middle 60% are good officers but never step outside of the comfort zone. You need them in the Navy but they aren't likely to be change agents. The bottom 20% are like oil and water with the Navy. They are morale sumps and make people question our commissioning sources. They also tend to be cannon fodder for the top 20% to the amusement of the middle 60%. It is also this bottom 20% that make the top 20% get frustrated and leave.

Make sure you know your audience before you trot out that speech either to your community or -43. If I was in your position I would go out of my way not to sound like a tool.