• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roger Ball, good and not-so-good questions about the world of "Paddles"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
When did this formerly useless thread turn into an LSO thread???

Why wasn't I notified ???

60012904xh2.jpg

blur

A-pool
every thread on AW gets hijacked...I was just trying to prove this point by creating this gay thread...yup...;)

ya, seriously xj220...I owe you a drink...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Deck is foul...Ready deck, "Pickle" behind back move ....
I did more of a "slash" move across my chest with the pickle ... :D ... probably 'cause I'd always pivot/turn ALL THE WAY around to my left and visually "follow" the bird into the wires and into his arrestment and stop.

It's always good to be the first to know if someone hook-skip bolters, a hook point breaks, or, of course, if a wire snaps --- as that would usually have "bad day" written all over it for those on the deck. Including me.

I'm still amazed at "current" LSO pictures I see and the "apparent" lack of emotion and "body English" seemingly demonstrated by the present crop of LSO's . But then again, it's just a picture ....

"We" were usually hoppin' and dancin' all over the platform and nearby flush deck
during an approach (some boats -- 'Lant Fleet, if memory serves -- had sunken LSO platforms -- I don't like 'em). I don't know why -- I just really got "into" the pass, I guess. We just usually didn't know we were "dancing". Some guys would take 8mm movies of us -- just for sport and Ready Room roasts at a date TBA.

Even in my day (radios) .... we seemed to have more in common with the LSO's depicted below ... I guess you tend to pattern your "act" after those who taught you. I know -- LSO-wise -- I did. :)

Proof positive, that in some circles, at least -- white men CAN "dance" ... :D

lsoforever12mt1.jpg
lsolu4.gif
dicktripplsoyq8.gif

*EDIT* ... alll this LSO and wavin' talk has got me into the mood for a CUBI Special. Or two. Or three. The drink, I mean .... off to make a couple. ALOHA.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LSO Style points

I did more of a "slash" move across my chest with the pickle ... :D ... probably 'cause I'd always pivot/turn ALL THE WAY around to my left and visually "follow" the bird into the wires and into his arrestment and stop.

I'm still amazed at "current" LSO pictures I see and the "apparent" lack of emotion and "body English" seemingly demonstrated by the present crop of LSO's . But then again, it's just a picture ....

[/I]

LSO(s) showing their style or maybe not

web_040630-N-9742R-017.jpg

web_070709-N-2984R-003.jpg

web_070328-N-9742R-051.jpg

web_070115-N-5345W-079.jpg

web_060112-N-7241L-013.jpg

phrogpilot73

Just curious, what's the deal with no cranials? Forgive my ignorance, but since I'm only accustomed to Gator-world and we were not allowed on the flight deck during flight quarters unless we had cranial/helmet and float coat/air save... Just curious...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
LSO(s) showing their style or maybe not
web_070328-N-9742R-051.jpg
GREAT pictures (the others) -- and examples of more of the "LSO style" that I was bemoaning as MIA today that I think "we" had more of (always a relative concept) ... except for THIS worried, constipated example you offer. :D AND they're wavin' STUDs -- so the "excitement" level could conceivably be even "higher" that in the Fleet ...

One thing that also makes me "chuckle" is the "uniformity" of today's platform -- look at how they're all dressed. That's right -- all the same. Four little Indians, all in a row.

Witness another example, from a time far, far away .... warmin' up the eyeballs, gettin' radio checks, getting ready for the recovery .... and uniformity?? What's that ... ??? :D

dsc01887smalllm3.jpg

brownshoe

Contributor

It's always good to be the first to know if someone hook-skip bolters, a hook point breaks, or, of course, if a wire snaps --- as that would usually have "bad day" written all over it for those on the deck. Including me.

"We" were usually hoppin' and dancin' all over the platform and nearby flush deck
during an approach (some boats -- 'Lant Fleet, if memory serves -- had sunken LSO platforms -- I don't like 'em). I don't know why -- I just really got "into" the pass, I guess. We just usually didn't know we were "dancing". Some guys would take 8mm movies of us -- just for sport and Ready Room roasts at a date TBA.

Even in my day (radios) .... we seemed to have more in common with the LSO's depicted below ... I guess you tend to pattern your "act" after those who taught you. I know -- LSO-wise -- I did. :)

lsoforever12mt1.jpg
lsolu4.gif
dicktripplsoyq8.gif

*EDIT* ... alll this LSO and wavin' talk has got me into the mood for a CUBI Special. Or two. Or three. The drink, I mean .... off to make a couple. ALOHA.

LSO’s dance… no sh!t! I was carrying a bag full of tie down chains that was basically almost as heavy as I was. Hairy stuff happened while I was “a toting them” from the chain locker across the deck, and a plane was on approach… Well those chains are gone now and the navy can sue me if they’d like. But the LSO was “dancing” when he saw a chain drop out of the bag and onto the flight deck, he was watching me the entire time I crossed the deck. Well the bag got tossed overboard and I headed back for the lost chain. I caused a wave off, not really my fault, but during the movie that night in the ready room it was kinda quiet.

Steve