• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Get a used Glock in 9mm. It'll be under 500 and with the right loads 9mm is a good round. For the rifle side, get a Ruger 10/22 in .22lr. Good times for all.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
m0t, if you're literally just starting out, I would buck the trend and recommend a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin Model 60. These are classic .22 semiauto rifles which are cheap and will give you a good intro to the basics and allow you to build good technique. I don't have a .22 pistol, but would recommend you either rent a .22 for some practice or at least spend some time there.

If you can learn what a good shot feels like with a small-caliber round, it will give you a good background to avoid flinching with the bigger stuff. Shooting handguns is like golf; small errors will be magnified into embarassing misses.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
m0t, if you're literally just starting out, I would recommend a Ruger 10/22

YES

Surprised no one has mentioned this, m0t being active duty BDCP-er and all:

Civilian Marksmanship Program

Buy yourself a Service Grade or better M1. Your grandchildren will love you for when you kick the bucket and pass on the greatest battle implement ever devised, provided your kids are able parents.

I know I'm gonna grab one.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Sure you could have a Garand....but the Carbine is more expensive!

Lifecycle costs here.
Fixed it - I'd love to have a carbine to plink with, a "super .22" if you will, but where will the ammo come from 30 years down the road? Maybe I'll get into handloading, maybe not, but .30-06 ammo is going to be available forever

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Lifecycle costs here.
Fixed it - I'd love to have a carbine to plink with, a "super .22" if you will, but where will the ammo come from 30 years down the road? Maybe I'll get into handloading, maybe not, but .30-06 ammo is going to be available forever

Maybe you failed to realize that all (well,almost) the .30 carbine for purchase is made factory new...because the round is freaking popular. There are a ton of M1 carbines out there and the owners do a lot of shooting. What are YOU gonna do when all the milsurp .30-06 dries up? Buy the gas conversion to shoot expensive factory new ammo? Methinks you might have to handload quite a bit as well, but that could be an end result for both calibers.

Bottom line, plenty of newly made .30 carbine ammo to buy.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
m0t, if you're in BDCP, Glock has a military discount of $398+tax for NEW Glocks (9mm/.40/.357).

Wow that's AWESOME! I think sometime in the next couple weeks I'm going to find a gun-loving friend and a firing range and go squeeze off some rounds and perhaps look into handgun safety/instruction classes if they're not too expensive.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
This model is far superior. :)
51IieghsQDL._SL500_.jpg

Super-light weight, belt-fed, plastic-gear-operated, super cool, mounted dart weapon. I hope I get to use this shit at TBS...

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow that's AWESOME! I think sometime in the next couple weeks I'm going to find a gun-loving friend and a firing range and go squeeze off some rounds and perhaps look into handgun safety/instruction classes if they're not too expensive.

The DNR had a nice outdoor range down in Mason. Check their website. That is where I shot when @ MSU.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator

If this is your first gun, don't skimp on the training side of it. You should be able to find a certified NRA instructor at the local range. They'll show you what you need to know.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
If this is your first gun, don't skimp on the training side of it. You should be able to find a certified NRA instructor at the local range. They'll show you what you need to know.

Agreed.

Also, anyone in the northern Ohio area, I know a guy who can give you your CCW training for $40 if you're looking. Cheaper than most gun shops around here. PM me if you want details