• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

swim13

Buying my first gun

I am looking into buying my first rifle. I have been considering getting an M4, but I was hoping that a few of you could weigh in with the some words of wisdom. I plan to use the gun for hunting purposes. I am also wondering what is a reasonable price for a M4? Any advice is welcome.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Prior experience? Hunting what? An M4 is a compromise for almost anything that most people hunt...even varmint hunting which is what the cartridge is mostly used for...Do you know you like to shoot? Price limits?
How much are you looking to spend on the weapon? How about every time you shoot it? Why are you leaning towards an M4?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
M4 type rifles are bad ass. The appearance alone will give most guys a chubby, whether they admit it or not. For smaller game they're good rifles, but I wouldn't plan on hunting deer or larger with one.

If you want a "combat" weapon that you can hunt with, look at a Springfield M1903, M1 Garand, or M1A (M-14). The Remington 700 is also quite the rifle. The 1903 and M1 can be had cheaply too.

Just my $.02

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
M4 type rifles are bad ass. The appearance alone will give most guys a chubby, whether they admit it or not.
As the owner of an M-4 style AR, that's still the most retarded reason for choosing a gun that I've ever heard. No offense.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I purchased a DPMS in .308 for the deer hunting option, too.
Haven't taken delivery yet, but I plan on hunting this season with it after break-in and sighting work at Styx River...

image.aspx

swim13

Prior experience? Hunting what? An M4 is a compromise for almost anything that most people hunt...even varmint hunting which is what the cartridge is mostly used for...Do you know you like to shoot? Price limits?
How much are you looking to spend on the weapon? How about every time you shoot it? Why are you leaning towards an M4?

I have been hunting for a the past five years. My family and I are deer hunters. Maybe at a future point I might hunt something other then deer, but right now that is my focus.

My previous hunting guns have been a Mosin Nagant M44, and my dad's 30-06. I am looking for something a little lighter, weight wise, then either of those guns. I would also like a smaller caliber as well.

As far as price range goes. I am looking at a $2000 limit.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
As the owner of an M-4 style AR, that's still the most retarded reason for choosing a gun that I've ever heard. No offense.

None taken. Firearms are more than just function over form. Performance is paramount, but there is nothing wrong with buying a weapon that looks the part. After all, isn't that why so many people put ridiculous options on their weapons? Collapsible stocks, bayonets, empty quad rails, drum mags. The average Joe doesn't need any of these, but to each his own. Whatever makes you happy! :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
None taken. Firearms are more than just function over form. Performance is paramount, but there is nothing wrong with buying a weapon that looks the part. After all, isn't that why so many people put ridiculous options on their weapons? Collapsible stocks, bayonets, empty quad rails, drum mags. The average Joe doesn't need any of these, but to each his own. Whatever makes you happy! :)
Agreed. Now if I can just get an AK, I'll be Senator Feinstein's worst nightmare. :D

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Have you looked into an AK kit? A good option if you're just looking for a cheap plinker. You won't be able to resell it as a complete weapon if you make your own receiver from a flat, but the price is right.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I have been hunting for a the past five years. My family and I are deer hunters. Maybe at a future point I might hunt something other then deer, but right now that is my focus.

As far as price range goes. I am looking at a $2000 limit.

If you're hunting in IA isn't that a slug or muzzleloader only state?

The .223/5.56 round is perfectly legal in many states (where centerfires are allowed) for deer and it is adequate for most shots however you need to ensure that you use a big game bullet and not a varmint bullet when considering ammunition. Certainly one in .308/7.62 is quite adequate for most of North America's game.

That being said, if it's primarily hunting large game you can do better than the AR platform for the money. I'm not a big Rem 700 fan for woods rifles because of the safety that doesn't lock the bolt down. You can do much worse than a Savage bolt action for the money.

Something like this http://www.savagearms.com/14AmerClassic.htm would give you plenty to spend on good optics and lots of ammo to practice and as I said before, a .308 would be fine for anything in NA short of big bears in Alaska.

If you want something a bit nicer I'd highly recommend a Kimber Montana. http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/84m/84m_montana/ weatherproof, accurate and light weight. I carry it's wood stocked twin the Classic in 7mm-08 (which downed this guy last week for me in Kentucky)

08deerhead.jpg

The options in your price range are pretty limitless really so concentrate on solid and dependable and ammo to practice.

swim13

If you're hunting in IA isn't that a slug or muzzleloader only state?

Haha! Your right. Except for a couple of the southern counties. I went to school in IA, but I am from MO, and plan to do most of my hunting there.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Nice rack, Pugs.

I just got this baby sighted in and am trying to find a place in S. TX to create some death and destruction with it, without it costing me a fortune. For the OP: this could be in your price range, and so far, I dig it.

MyScout.jpg

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
I think when it comes to my collection I am interested more in Military Weapons. In my safe there is a M1 Garand, an M-14, and a WW2 Arsaka Rifle. I currently have a 1903 Springfield and an M1 Carbine on order. I am sincerely considering buying a clones of M-16 and M-4 and maybe a AK.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
^^ Long.

Almost absurdly long, for a rifle. Definitely feels odd the first few shots, but I kinda like it now. It's real fast at target acquisition, compared to other scopes I've used. If I were trying to make a Dragunov-beater or something, I'd want different glass, but out to 100 yards, I like it well enough.