• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some pics from my last flight to the carrier as a COD pilot

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm an idiot. I guess I just assumed COD guys went through advanced with the P-3 guys, since they are both turbo-props. My dad told me that back in the day P-3 guys could do a tour as a COD guy, do they still do this? I thought he told me it was an awesome deal because it counted as a disassociated sea tour (sp?) and you got to fly.

Not to long ago, about mid 90's, COD squadrons were often made up of aviators from different communities. If you started as a COD pilot, you weren't going to go far unless you switched to at least E-2's. The COD's also got the dregs from other communities or those just looking to pass time until they got out. That all changed from about 97-on. We now have COD only types commanding squadrons and making O-6 is possible for those post command types.

One other thing, I hear people always talking about how good of a lifestyle COD guys have (a major selling point), but is the flying fun? Awesome pic of the fantail by the way.

If flying straight and level for 90% of what you do is fun, then yeah, the flying is fun. COD guys stay COD's because of the lifestyle. Sure, flying around the boat is great, the occasional form flights, paradrops (when they used to be allowed) but in general, it's not terribly exciting. Coming back from a 1200 mile round trip to the boat through T-storms, foriegn controllers and having a beer at the local bar, hitting on the chick bar tender makes up for a lot of the boredome :icon_smil

mousavimarine

Hey man!! I was just on the Stennis this past week CQ'ing in the Prowler.... I had to depart and re-enter because you were coming aboard! CQ was a blast!

S/F

Moose

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
Any P-3 guys walkin round the jet VT's?

There IS a TACAMO guy here now. His first hope EVER in the T-45 was an ACM hop in the leads trunk... He said he hadn't been past 45 deg AoB since T-34's....He loves it.

Damn, simo run w/ Nittany

S3Dude

pilot
Bunk,

Are those pictures from the Stennis this week? If so there's about a 90% chance that I was on the other end of your ball call. You want your passes? Small Navy...

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
In K-rock something like 40% of the IP's in Vt-21 are E2/C2. There was one E-6 guy in 21 and VT-22 had one P-3 pilot. Could be more of the E-6/P-3 types running around -22 but I didnt spend much time with those nasties :)

I know we had several E2/C2 types teaching Weps and other Phase 2 stuff. From what I gathered if an E2/C2 guy was interested in teaching any phase 2 stuff it was a simple process of just letting the squadron know you wanted to do it.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
So how would a P-3 guy go about instructing in the T-45? Do they have to go through some sort of syllabus?

MasterBates

I tried getting VT orders there, and I was told no f'in way by BUPERS.

I asked out of curiosity, if P3I's were still there, and he said they were rare, but there.

NavyLonghorn

So how would a P-3 guy go about instructing in the T-45? Do they have to go through some sort of syllabus?

What do you think the guys that already fly jets just show up and start instructing? Everyone goes through "some sort of syllabus."

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

It was my understanding, from one of the EP-3 XO's, it was standard practice that VP sent one guy down to T-45's every year. From what he said it was all timing and was not well advertised. The only guy out of my EP-3 squadron to go instruct jets was a E-2/C-2 guy who was suppose to go to the boat but the T-2's went down for flight controllability problems back in '97 for about 8 months (his CQ det was the first to be CNX'd). After waiting around for about 4 months they winged him and a buddy as P-3 guys, talk about a raw deal :(. He was my roomate on Whidbey.

On a side note, after getting his DFC Shane Osborn asked for and got orders to go to VT-86 as a T-2 instructor (also after turning down the first Navy Air Force Two billet, it was an extra two years of commitment). For those of you who don't know, T-2's in VT-86 taught form, low levels and ACM, they only had instructors who had gone through the strike fighter syllabus as SNA's, no E-2/C-2 guys were there when I went through. So to have a guy who had no jet experience was a bit unusual, to say the least. He got his written orders pulled by the way, the VT-86 CO balked at taking him.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Good question,
I wondered the same thing about the IPs who were tweet trained (IE did they have to go back to Enid if they wanted to fly VTs).

The sylabus at least in primary and prop advanced is called IUT- Instructor Under Training (or something like that.) From what I understand, its a condensed sylabus that basically covers the whole program.

Word is that the E6 and P3 IPs down in Kingsville are going to this next boat...

NavyLonghorn

Good question,
I wondered the same thing about the IPs who were tweet trained (IE did they have to go back to Enid if they wanted to fly VTs).

Come on dude. Didnt you have Helo drivers in VT-31? Or C-12 trained guys? Their is no requierment to have previous time in frame inorder to be an instructor.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Come on dude. Didnt you have Helo drivers in VT-31? Or C-12 trained guys? Their is no requierment to have previous time in frame inorder to be an instructor.

Yeah man, I know that now- I didn't however, know that in API... hence why i thought it was a legit question. We all don't show upto flight school knowing everything like you obviously did... :icon_wink

No helo drivers in 31.

NavyLonghorn

Yeah man, I know that now- I didn't however, know that in API... hence why i thought it was a legit question. We all don't show upto flight school knowing everything like you obviously did... :icon_wink

No helo drivers in 31.

I was /born/ knowing everything. My friends love it, just ask em.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Bunk,

Are those pictures from the Stennis this week? If so there's about a 90% chance that I was on the other end of your ball call. You want your passes? Small Navy...

I'm happy that you kept me outta the ramp. I've been right seat for most of the flights and already got my last two grades with you guys....both OK's so thanks for the benny's :D