• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some pics from my last flight to the carrier as a COD pilot

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
On a side note, after getting his DFC Shane Osborn asked for and got orders to go to VT-86 as a T-2 instructor (also after turning down the first Navy Air Force Two billet, it was an extra two years of commitment). For those of you who don't know, T-2's in VT-86 taught form, low levels and ACM, they only had instructors who had gone through the strike fighter syllabus as SNA's, no E-2/C-2 guys were there when I went through. So to have a guy who had no jet experience was a bit unusual, to say the least. He got his written orders pulled by the way, the VT-86 CO balked at taking him.

Not the first time that has happened. I knew an individual who flew E-2's, taught T-2C's in Merdian, went TAR and picked up VT-86. The CO balked and his orders were eventually pulled as well.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Actually 2 dudes got screwed by VT-86! :icon_rage And both were/are good sticks and instructors! Let me clarify however, one was a P-3 dude and the other E-2! Also from everything I have heard Osbourne is a tool! He need not be in the same catagory as the others. The others also had well over 1000 hours in the Buckeye and were well qualified (One was even the OCF Stan)!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually 2 dudes got screwed by VT-86! :icon_rage And both were/are good sticks and instructors! Let me clarify however, one was a P-3 dude and the other E-2! Also from everything I have heard Osbourne is a tool! He need not be in the same catagory as the others. The others also had well over 1000 hours in the Buckeye and were well qualified (One was even the OCF Stan)!

As someone who has been on two sides of the fence in Naval Avation, EP-3's and Prowlers, and going through both training tracks I have to disagree with you about the guys getting screwed over. When I went through VT-86 everyone going through T-2's had twelve flights. The first three were basically FAM'ss and you usually did a cross country for them, the next three were combined Form/low-level/bombing pattern flights. the last six were called ATM's, another name for basic ACM.

When I went through VT-86 all of the T-2 instructors had flown TACAIR and we had no E-2/C-2 or P-3 guys. Because over half the stuff, 75% if you want to be technical, was stuff that TACAIR guys did I see no reason why someone who does not have the background in what they are teaching should be there. I don't care if the guy has 1500 hours in type, how much experince does he have doing what he would be teaching?

One other big thing to consider, the group of T-2 instructors in VT-86 is tiny compared to the number at Meridian or Kingsville. I remember counting th number of T-2's on the ramp in Pensacola and came up with 9. One or two instructors who are behind the power curve from the rest of them would have a disproportionate impact compared to K'ville or Meridian. You can't just stick a guy with flying RI's or ANAV's in VT-86, they have to know how to the TACAIR stuff from the start. This is nothing against P-3 or E-2/C-2 guys, they jsut don't have the background.

Finally, Shane wasn't exactly a tool, he just had a big head that was inflated several times larger than it was originally when he became a 'hero'.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
When I went through VT-86 all of the T-2 instructors had flown TACAIR and we had no E-2/C-2 or P-3 guys. Because over half the stuff, 75% if you want to be technical, was stuff that TACAIR guys did I see no reason why someone who does not have the background in what they are teaching should be there. I don't care if the guy has 1500 hours in type, how much experince does he have doing what he would be teaching?

You can't just stick a guy with flying RI's or ANAV's in VT-86, they have to know how to the TACAIR stuff from the start. This is nothing against P-3 or E-2/C-2 guys, they jsut don't have the background.

Agreed. If the primary job of a squadron is to teach tactical stuff to students, tactical types should be instructing. E-2/C2 types can teach the intermediate stuff because that's stuff we do, basics of flying. This includes carrier qualifications. Like someone said, the air-to-air stuff in Meridian or Kingsville is scripted and can be learned and monitored by an experienced instructor, tactical or not. Granted it would probably be more beneficial to have a tactical aviator instructing for obvious reasons. As much as I would love to fly T-2C's out of VT-86, it isn't for me because of my background.

Finally, Shane wasn't exactly a tool, he just had a big head that was inflated several times larger than it was originally when he became a 'hero'.

How often do we hear so and so is a tool in our business. To me, things like jealousy or one bad incident gets blown out of proportion and the rumors start.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That's true in a figurative AND literal sense. :D

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How often do we hear so and so is a tool in our business. To me, things like jealousy or one bad incident gets blown out of proportion and the rumors start.

I flew with the guy, deployed with him and hung out with him in Vancouver and Seattle quite a bit. He always thought a bit more about himself than some others (pretty funny to see him hitting on the ladies, not very dull hanging out with him) and I think he let things get to his head a bit. But he was a decent guy and it is easy to crap on him.

His noggin was a little big though, physically that is....:D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I flew with the guy, deployed with him and hung out with him in Vancouver and Seattle quite a bit. He always thought a bit more about himself than some others (pretty funny to see him hitting on the ladies, not very dull hanging out with him) and I think he let things get to his head a bit. But he was a decent guy and it is easy to crap on him.

His noggin was a little big though, physically that is....:D

Yeah, I watched him try to pull the "Do you know who I am" routine on a group of stews in Bahrain. Worked about as well as his merge w/ the Chinese jet. :D

Brett