• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a back-in-the-day thing; a holdover from the times when there were two fabric choices (heavy blue wool and white/khaki cotton) and no A/C in balmy places like the Canal Zone and Cubi. And no one would dream of not wearing a tie to a formal occasion, unless you were some sort of jazz-listenin', reefer-smokin' beatnik.

But the Navy never, ever gets rid of anything.

nugget61

pilot
So I was watching a fairly neat program on the History channel about Air Force One and they said that any plane, no matter the crew, becomes AF1 whenever the president is aboard - is this true? What if the crew is a different service?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Then its Navy 1. Or Marine 1. That way its the most important aircraft in the Navy, or AF, or USMC....

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
...such as when President Bush flew aboard the Lincoln? in an S-3, or when he rides in Marine helos almost daily, "Marine One."

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I've searched for the answer to this to no avail, so here is my stupid question: what is the limit to how deep an officer can go into the hole on leave? I'm in A-pool, sitting around doing nothing everyday, won't class up until late March...I want to go somewhere but have virtually nothing to draw on (because I took leave around Christmas and Thanksgiving, thinking I would class up right afterwards).

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Correct me if I'm wrong, but legally aren't you allowed to take as much leave as you will accrue in the obligated service you have left? That being said, the command doesn't have to grant it.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Correct me if I'm wrong, but legally aren't you allowed to take as much leave as you will accrue in the obligated service you have left? That being said, the command doesn't have to grant it.

That sounds right, but how does it apply to one of us who don't have wings and thus haven't started our obligations? I suppose it's just at the command's discretion, but is there a general rule of thumb for about how much a command (or NASC, specifically) will typically authorize? Any NASC staff out there that could chime in?

Yankee Uniform Tango
How hard is it to get exchange tour orders? Are they reserved for more senior guys, or can O-2's/"fresh" O-3's get them also?

Also, is it more difficult to get foreign exchange tours as opposed to just with different branches?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The exchange billets I've seen, both USN and USMC, were geared toward O3s.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Prowler ECMO I know did an exchange tour flying the Tornado in Germany for his "shore" tour. He absolutely love the tour.

-ea6bflyr ;)

femaviator

random question about navy athletics

Hi, this is a random question I have. I'm currently a DEP as enlisted but applying to be an aviation officer. I was just curious of how to be a navy athlete as well as working? I know you can only be one once you have gone to bootcamp but does anyone know the process?

I am female and I run cross country and track for my college (I'm a senior). My times I run 20:00 min 5Ks, 9:00 min 1.5 mile, 5:45 min 1 mile, and I run steeplechase in track (2 mile race with giant road block barriers in the way and a water jump) my best time so far being 11:30 mins. I am interested in being an athlete for the navy and perhaps doing triathlons and ultra marathons. I used to be on the swim team in high school. Do you know how the selection process works?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Jaymie Brooks

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Question, when did HMX1 partisipated in Operation Packard IV.:confused:

The high point of May 1950 for HMX-1 was Operation PACKARD IV, which took place during the final week of the month [May 28-31]. On May 23d six HRP–l's and two HO3S–1 helicopters landed on board the USS Mindoro (CVE–120) at Norfolk, Virginia, after which the ship sailed south to a point 15 miles off the coast of Camp Lejeune. The operation lasted only two days during which five HRPs and two HO3Ss carried ashore a total of 120 troops and over 20,000 pounds of cargo.

Not a stupid question; moved to ongoing HMX-1 thread

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jackass said:
Was watching a military movie the other day and came across a scene where a Lt. Col. was referred to as Colonel. Is this normal? For instance are LCDRs often referred to as Commanders?

For instance, if I was meeting a LCDR could I greet him/her with "Good Morning Cdr xxxxx"?

Yep. Also why LCDR's are known as "phone commanders". As in, give yourself an extra paygrade by calling someone who doesn't know you and saying, "Morning, this is Commander X."

Also done by convincing Army and AF types that a LCDR is equivalent to a Lt Col and thus getting better BOQ rooms. Used to be easier before we got all Joint-ey.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jackass said:
Was watching a military movie the other day and came across a scene where a Lt. Col. was referred to as Colonel. Is this normal? For instance are LCDRs often referred to as Commanders?

For instance, if I was meeting a LCDR could I greet him/her with "Good Morning Cdr xxxxx"?

In every-day conversations Lt Col/LTC/LtCol's and LCDR's are often referred to as Colonel and Commander.

Status
Not open for further replies.