• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From what I've been told by the Rhino dudes, it's squadron SOP. Some skippers prefer to have one or two jets designated as the permanent tankers, others prefer flexibility. I think a lot of that stuff is still being figured out by the community at large, and it's going to get even weirder in the coming years as VAQ gets into tanking and the Hawkeyes show up with their refueling probes.

From watching the guys do it in the hangar bay, it seemed like hella work to move the tanker pods between jets, and not something to be done if you had a choice.

CAG still hates it when the Rhino guys run out of tankers.

Probably ain't gonna happen - probably.

Brett

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
29000 pounds for the tanking Super Hornet, says the wiki.

Is this comperable to the KA-6D, given consumption rates and operational considerations of the day?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

Is this comperable to the KA-6D, given consumption rates and operational considerations of the day?
From memory .... the A-6 in all variants had @ 16,000 internal and 10,000 in the drops/tanks .... soooooo, that would be @ 10,000 "to give" on a 1.5 hour cycle ... I should have this down cold, but I don't remember anymore .... which is nice, as I don't 'care' anymore ... :D

I'd rather memorize important things .... like: how to make the perfect Martini ... :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I'm no tanker king, but from looking at ISIS for hours upon end, seems like the max give of a consolidated 5-wet Rhino is normally 8-12K during case I.

Brett

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
That doesn't sound like a vast quantity of fuel. Maybe that tanker variant of the V-22 would be worthwhile--plus it could be COD capable!:icon_wink

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
OK, so this question is admittedly more of a stupid question about the military than military aviation...

The other day at the movies I saw a couple Army Privates in their ACUs. They appeared to be with a couple friends in civilian attire.

Is this normal? I understand wanting to take advantage of the military discount but the ID alone is enough for that. I just wasn't sure if guys can just wear their uniform wherever they please, or maybe they just got off work and went straight there, I don't really know.

Just curious.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
5 wet has been pretty standard but I know one CAG was at least considering 3 wet because excessive dumping.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
OK, so this question is admittedly more of a stupid question about the military than military aviation...

The other day at the movies I saw a couple Army Privates in their ACUs. They appeared to be with a couple friends in civilian attire.

Is this normal? I understand wanting to take advantage of the military discount but the ID alone is enough for that. I just wasn't sure if guys can just wear their uniform wherever they please, or maybe they just got off work and went straight there, I don't really know.

Just curious.

From what I've seen it's not "normal" per se - but against the regs? No. I think the only thing against the regs is wearing your uniform to political rallies and the sort. At the Academy, we make our plebes and Youngsters (freshmen and sophomores) wear their uniforms out on liberty.

As a sidenote, I don't think it's a bad thing with younger guys and women wearing their uniform - a British O-4 was explaining to me that's a huge reason why we have support from the public here. In Britain, they can't wear their uniforms out or anything and as such, the public has more or less forgotten about the military.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Maybe we could just get some TUAVs (Tanker UAVs). :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

Just saw a brief yesterday by RADM Shannon talking about UCAVs tanking from manned hornets and KC-X.....I agree it would make much more sense to have an unmanned tanker do it instead.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
I hear ya. The former S-3 bubbas are all over this topic like sh!t on velcro. Made for an interesting NSAWC journal debate....no actually it was excruciating. Either way, we'll still WOW the FOD walkers with our 250kt flybys.

phrogpilot73

From what I've seen it's not "normal" per se - but against the regs? No. I think the only thing against the regs is wearing your uniform to political rallies and the sort.
It all depends on what uniform. In the Navy/Marine Corps - No, you're not allowed to wear working uniforms (what ACU's are) off base (unless transiting). In the Army, their regs (I believe) state something to the effect of short, essential stop - which has morphed into going grocery shopping, stopping at the mall to browse, etc...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just saw a brief yesterday by RADM Shannon talking about UCAVs tanking from manned hornets and KC-X.....I agree it would make much more sense to have an unmanned tanker do it instead.

You have likely never seen an experienced tanker driver hawk the recovery and then be exactly where it needed to be when an aircraft is in extremis. One thing many folks don't realize is Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) that include everything (from UCAVs to potential tankers you are talking about) don't remove the human from the equation quite yet. They simply put human somewhere else. In case of UCAVs, they remove human from going in potential harm's way and allow aircraft not to be limited in performance by what the human body cannot sustain and eliminates all the weight and volume required to host a human.

In the love affair with UAVs to provide ISR and more and more finish capability, the LIMFACs associated with having the UAV overhead, but the pilot and sensor operator halfway around the world have resulted in less than optimum results in some cases hence the trends toward more and more manned nontraditional ISR platforms like the Project Liberty MC-12 platforms and other examples that put the human overhead and on the deck where they can train and plan with the people they support.

Back to unmanned tankers in the sky. The movie stealth featured a mammoth unmanned tanker in the sky and AFRL has briefs on proposals almost exactly like the movie with addition an arsenal of net-enabled weapons (sort of an Arsenal Ship in the sky). For benign tanking, it makes sense to have as much gas as you can but in the sky, but for extremis situations that occasionally arise, I submit you still need someone in the cockpit who's the best you can get to be reacting and thinking way ahead of the recovery situation. Alas, one day they may not be an aviator in cockpit of the tanker or receiver.....

Status
Not open for further replies.