• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
It all depends on what uniform. In the Navy/Marine Corps - No, you're not allowed to wear working uniforms (what ACU's are) off base (unless transiting). In the Army, their regs (I believe) state something to the effect of short, essential stop - which has morphed into going grocery shopping, stopping at the mall to browse, etc...

Yeah, I forgot to mention that it definitely does depend on the uniform. I was assuming it was proper liberty attire.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the Army, their regs (I believe) state something to the effect of short, essential stop - which has morphed into going grocery shopping, stopping at the mall to browse, etc...

Indeed, I've seen Army folks everywhere as if it's their only uniform especially in DC. Can't recall seeing them in anything else. I was in DMV location in Virginia Beach last week in the line from hell with 3 Army types that I later saw twice, first in a fast food establishment and then just walking from store to store in the nearby shopping mall.

MasterBates

I asked an Army bud about the ACU everywhere bit.

I got the "We are authorized to wear it pretty much everywhere in time of war" as the answer.

Coota0

None
Here are my two stupid questions:
1)Which seat leaves the aircraft first during an ejection in an F-14?
2)In the A-6 is it possible for one of the crew members to eject without triggering the ejection for the other?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
2)In the A-6 is it possible for one of the crew members to eject without triggering the ejection for the other?
1. Rear seat ALWAYS leaves 'first' in a tandem seating arrangement when there's a rocket motor attached that could 'Bar-B-Q' the other crew member ...

2. Yes ... more than 'possible'; as there's no command ejection in the A-6 ...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The back seat. Caveat, not sure if the F-14 had command/individual eject selections. If it had the 'individual' selections it would be up to both crew members to pull the handle instead of just one, allowing the pilot to go first if that was the case and he beat the RIO to the punch.

The Navy never invested in 'command' eject for the A-6, both had to pull the handle.

Pugs

Back from the range
None

I thought one of the very last airframe changes got a few of the jets command eject but I'm sure one of the bubbas that was there at the end can confirm or tell me I'm nuts (again)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A-4's,
I thought that in the later variants of the A-6, they put in COMMAND EJECT option?

In the EA-6B, the COMMAND EJECT lever is labeled Pilot or BOTH. Meaning in Pilot, only the pilot has command eject and in both, both Pilot and ECMO1 have the ability to command eject.

-ea6bflyr ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A-4's,
I thought that in the later variants of the A-6, they put in COMMAND EJECT option?
-ea6bflyr ;)
I'm not sure about the later marks in the A-6E series, but I believe the proposed A-6F was to include command ejection ... what a fine ATTACK bird that would have been .... *sigh*

None of the 'earlier' production or converted A-6E models had command ejection, to the best of my recollection & experience. It's quite possible the final production ATTACK variants had command ejection ...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In which position is it normally flown in?

In the Fleet, it is usually flown in BOTH. A few times it would be in PILOT: Non-NATOPS qual'd person in front right seat to include CAT-1 Fleet Replacement ECMO's in the Fleet Replacement Squadron.

-ea6bflyr ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The back seat. Caveat, not sure if the F-14 had command/individual eject selections.

F-14 had a two postion lever marked pilot or MCO (Grumman thought RIO would use term used for NFO in F6D Missileer, which laid path for AWG-9/Phoenix). It was a checklist item for RIO to position lever in MCO for typical fleet hop. If person sitting in rear cockpit was a guest or not really trusted by pilot, the lever was set to pilot like below when guest AEGIS CO went for a ride and grabbed the ejection handle during negative G and inadvertantly ejected himself (he claims he didn't do it...conventional wisdom: V).

01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.