• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
^^^I thought it was illegal for a non-certified RVSM aircraft to go into RVSM. Or does that not apply to the military?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been non-RVSM above FL290. It depends on the controllers. Not sure about a military RVSM exclusion. I do know getting a Non-RVSM clearance above FL290 out East is much harder than out West.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Edit: Policy:FAA will accommodate non-RVSM compliant military aircraft operation within DRVSM airspace, without mission degradation, to the extent practicable based upon existing traffic and safety considerations.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Edit: Policy:FAA will accommodate non-RVSM compliant military aircraft operation within DRVSM airspace, without mission degradation, to the extent practicable based upon existing traffic and safety considerations.

Awesome, thanks.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
For the most part, civilian aircraft try to keep the cabin pressure not higher than 8500 feet or so at their max altitude. You don't want to have health issues with the pax. Plus you don't want to have pax on O2 continually. Corporate aircraft do better with the cabin altitudes then airlines. When I flew the Piaggio, we could go to 41,000 while maintaining a cabin altitude of about 3500.

Wing and engine design also comes into the equation. Some wings will stall that high and some engines won't have any push left in them.

Going higher does not necessarily equate to better fuel brun either. Our max with pax is 410 but above 360 we don't really get a better fuel burn. We go above 360 for winds, turbulence, traffic, etc. Again, it depends on the wing and engine design.

I think the G-5 can go straight to 510 at max t/o weight.

Dang.. 41,000 and 3,500...

I figured that it being the ultra luxurious jet market, selling to big ego billionaires who don't even notice dropping the cash for one of them, it might be worth it just so the owner can say "I can go higher than you"

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
That was a couple of years ago. It was actually pretty interesting and informative. Hopefully, its still fairly short and sweet.

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Live Fire Training Exercises

Thought I'd start this here. I read a few things on here recently about Marine FW aircraft (see here) and they mentioned Desert Talon/Mojave Viper training exercises. These seem to be USMC centric trainings, and from the Navy side of the house I've read about Fallon/El Centro Dets for weapons training on the TACAIR and rotary.

Desert Talon/Mojave Viper seem, from what I've seen and read about, very centric on A-G integration and refining that skillset. I'll assume there is some live drops included in that as well. Do Navy TACAIR units get similar live fire training with ground units?

As a follow on, more general question, how much in terms of live ordanance drops/shoots can a nugget expect in training, platform nonwithstanding? Given the cost, is "Blue Death" used much more often?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Thought I'd start this here. I read a few things on here recently about Marine FW aircraft (see here) and they mentioned Desert Talon/Mojave Viper training exercises. These seem to be USMC centric trainings, and from the Navy side of the house I've read about Fallon/El Centro Dets for weapons training on the TACAIR and rotary.

Desert Talon/Mojave Viper seem, from what I've seen and read about, very centric on A-G integration and refining that skillset. I'll assume there is some live drops included in that as well. Do Navy TACAIR units get similar live fire training with ground units?

As a follow on, more general question, how much in terms of live ordanance drops/shoots can a nugget expect in training, platform nonwithstanding? Given the cost, is "Blue Death" used much more often?

They move these posts to hide my pen
But the threadjack poet strikes again!!! :D

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

You're that guy at the airshow aren't you? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.