• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
iPods, yes. Everything from simply jamming some earbuds under your helmet, to an ICS interface switch (our AT's knew how to build them, and would do it for a sixpack if you bought the parts).

Not so much rock out moto tunes Iron Eagle-style, but just a way to make those really boring long flights pass more quickly.

Agreed. Having a switch is key. Rumors of a device with an automatic cutout when you speak exist, but I have yet to meet anyone with it.

If you use CEP's in your helmet, it's like making a $60 aircraft your personal stereo.

**NOTE** Discretion is obvious when using these devices.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or you can just do like this guy...

1%20-front%20view_640.jpg

Personally though, I prefer this one. Anyone can build a plastic model, but Legos?

legoaircraft-carrier-3.jpg

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Stupid questions:

what do speed to Navy jets cruise at on cross countries

non NA specific: when I'm browsing around I see civilian aircraft certified to 51,000 (G-5, learjets, etc)... why doesn't anyone get certified higher? I know.. there's not very many benefits to cruising that high.... just wondering.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
non NA specific: when I'm browsing around I see civilian aircraft certified to 51,000 (G-5, learjets, etc)... why doesn't anyone get certified higher? I know.. there's not very many benefits to cruising that high.... just wondering.

I can't speak to fleet jets, but the clown jet is limited to 41k because of it's pressurization system. Navy regs (good old OPNAV 3710 if you care to look) limit cabin pressure to 25k ft or below. Our pressurization schedule roughly gives cabin pressure of 24k ft at FL410. Above that and the man says you need a pressure suit.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Stupid questions:

what do speed to Navy jets cruise at on cross countries

Most of the civilian jets that can get to 51k (there aren't many) can't do it right after takeoff if they are full of fuel, they usually have to step climb later in the trip due to aircraft performance issues.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
For the most part, civilian aircraft try to keep the cabin pressure not higher than 8500 feet or so at their max altitude. You don't want to have health issues with the pax. Plus you don't want to have pax on O2 continually. Corporate aircraft do better with the cabin altitudes then airlines. When I flew the Piaggio, we could go to 41,000 while maintaining a cabin altitude of about 3500.

Wing and engine design also comes into the equation. Some wings will stall that high and some engines won't have any push left in them.

Going higher does not necessarily equate to better fuel brun either. Our max with pax is 410 but above 360 we don't really get a better fuel burn. We go above 360 for winds, turbulence, traffic, etc. Again, it depends on the wing and engine design.

I think the G-5 can go straight to 510 at max t/o weight.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
Many military jets are non-RVSM, so its hard to get up as high as we'd like on cross countries. Really not too big of a deal though. We're just happy to be on the road.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Many military jets are non-RVSM, so its hard to get up as high as we'd like on cross countries. Really not too big of a deal though. We're just happy to be on the road.

While true, I can only think of a couple times when center didn't allow me into RVSM territory. It's usually not a problem.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.