• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

allegroreyees

Student Naval Aviator
Looking for good boot recommendations. Former enlisted Army and really loved my Oakley Light Assault boots that are essentially high top running shoes. Looking for the nearest equivalent that is in regs for the Navy. What do y'all recommend?
You'll be issued boots at OCS and are required to wear those while in training. As a SNA in Pensacola, NIFE academics are in khakis wearing a brown dress shoe and flight phase is in flight suit with the brown issued flight boots. The only opportunity that you'll have in the near future to wear NWUs and boots again might be pre-NIFE academics in the junior officer courses. I'm not super familiar with the courses as they started them after I left NASC. I would just save your money and not worry about boots for now.

With that said, the Oakley Light Assualt boots are approved for the NWUs in non-industrial environments.

JoeBob1788

Looking for good boot recommendations. Former enlisted Army and really loved my Oakley Light Assault boots that are essentially high top running shoes. Looking for the nearest equivalent that is in regs for the Navy. What do y'all recommend?

Any of the black safety boots, not suede. You can shine them up and break them in prior to OCS. You won’t really wear them after OCS as the previous comment indicates, so I just got a pair at a NMCRS thrift store. Unfortunately nothing comfortable is authorized, as they have to be steel toed and on that list.

Any uniforms or uniform items you have in serviceable condition are allowed at OCS. I saved a ton of money buying SDBs, whites, and khakis at the NMCRS thrift. An RDC will inspect what you bring and you’ll have to repurchase what doesn’t pass.

villo0692

You are allowed to bring your own boots prior to OCS so long they are steel toed and black. I had a pair of flight deck boots that I had already broken in. So long the class team give you a green light with said boots, you won’t be required to buy the ones over at OCS.

Thanks for all the input. I'll "sit down and shup up" through OCS and then when I'm a cool kid pilot I'll worry about being comfortable. Genuinely not being sarcastic, I know I have to jump through the hoops and boots will be a concern later

Module1

I have a question for people who have gone through OCS recently… For the 5 minute prone float, can we do it on our backs, or do we have to do it face down?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There’s YouTube videos you can find to help you out .

I have a stupid question...is the prone float supposed to be different than doing drown proofing? Because drown proofing is dumb, but the prone float looks dumber from a survival point of view.

Unless it's just to get people used to having their face underwater for long periods, in which case I get it.

I have a stupid question...is the prone float supposed to be different than doing drown proofing? Because drown proofing is dumb, but the prone float looks dumber from a survival point of view.

Unless it's just to get people used to having their face underwater for long periods, in which case I get it.
It's to prepare trainees for a career of doing dumb things that make you uncomfortable and has no clear purpose ?‍♂️

haka

None

I'm no water survival expert, but I asked a similar question while going through the water survival course that I can relay. His answer was that a face up float only really works in calm water, but in the ocean with any kind of wave activity you have a higher chance of getting water up your nose and drowning. Face down helps you regulate your breathing and heart rate, and helps you keep water out of your lungs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm no water survival expert, but I asked a similar question while going through the water survival course that I can relay. His answer was that a face up float only really works in calm water, but in the ocean with any kind of wave activity you have a higher chance of getting water up your nose and drowning. Face down helps you regulate your breathing and heart rate, and helps you keep water out of your lungs.

Oh trust me. I ask the question when I've done water survival every. single. time. I get the same BS answer. It doesn't add up, especially when you have a positively bouyant helmet to hold your head up and to help those of us who "float low."

But I've already been down this rant before.

JTtheBard

I have a (dumb) question regarding prior service BAH while at OCS. I am now divorced and i have no kids so i am single-single no dependents. I have gone TDY for more than 6 months, went to training with government quarters provided, and deployed all while still receiving BAH both before and after having dependents. From what i could gather from a few Google searches, i will not be entitled to BAH should i be selected to attend OCS. I asked my recruiter and they stated they were unsure if i would or not. I could pack up my house and put it into storage, but it would be easier to get a dorm Airmen to watch my house and dogs while i am gone so i wouldn't have to pay for my current house out of pocket should i lose the BAH entitlement. I'm currently Active-Duty Air Force E6 if that helps.

Lolzach69

I've found a few comments about this topic but I figured I'd ask a more targeted question. I'm shipping to OCS soon and am trying to get all my gear in order. I'm looking into getting the white underwear which is required (as I own no white underwear) and wanted to ensure that boxer-brief style underwear is allowed, despite the recruiting material specifying briefs. Does anyone have any past experience or reccomendations for a decent underwear, preferably wicking/athletic type?
Go to Dick’s sporting goods and buy the dicks brand (DSG) white compressions. They are the only all-white-no-logo I have found that are comfortable. They will only be worn with dress whites which you will only wear for photos, graduation, and the Main Quarterdeck watch (occasional).

For daily underwear I prefer under armour athletic style also from dicks. Doesn’t matter what uniform you are wearing, you will be sweating and moving a lot every single day. Got for athletic (spandex-style) underwear. Don’t do cotton which will change IMO