• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Superstitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, the thread about the super cool old wings on ebay and Road’s post about the wings his friend bought him got me thinking. Anybody out there crazy/superstitious like me? What are your nuances and ticks you rely on when flying? Here’s a few I have, and some of my buddies’...

In 34's and 44's I always approached the plane for preflight and touched the prop nose cones first, somewhere in the back of my mind I think I saw it as greeting a horse before you ride.

Now, with the mighty Warpig, I can’t touch the prop cones, especially since I’m vertically challenged (but still better looking than any of you). Before I touch anything on the plane, I stand in front of the ladder and silently recite Shepard’s prayer (“Please Lord, don’t let me fvck up”).

Like I mentioned in the wings post, I refused to touch, look at, or even imagine my NA wings. First time I saw them was when I got pinned.

Never use the “facilities” on the aircraft before you are actually flying. You WILL break the aircraft somehow on preflight, starts, or taxi.

Always rock a polo shirt under your flight suit when in Pattaya. My only compromise when it comes to the super gay movie that so many people identify with what we do.

My fam partner from advanced and the RAG still to this day (IP in Pcola now) always flies with the MaGuire’s pen he picked up the first time he ate there.

I’ve used the same US flag patch my entire career. Even when subdued or sanitized, I had it somewhere on me. Probably my only good luck charm.

I had another buddy who had a lock of his gf’s hair in a plastic case on his tags. The weird part is what kind of hair it was...

Unlike a lot of P-3 guys, I won’t wear a hat while flying...well maybe because I refuse to mess up my sweet hair or to accelerate my onset of male pattern baldness.

I dunno, I’ll think of some more. You guys have any?

(BTW this post is in reaction to the plethora of boring stuff on the site lately. Enough politics! Let’s BS about the cool stuff)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Like I mentioned in the wings post, I refused to touch, look at, or even imagine my NA wings. First time I saw them was when I got pinned.

I won't touch a pair of wings until I get my own. I won't accept a pair of wings from anyone as a gift until I've earned them.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was definitely a dont touch own or look at a pair of wings guy. One of my API study partners had a set of wings on his mantle for motivation, scared me a lot, I couldnt study there.

I wore the same T shirt for check flights all the way through the RAG, it is in tatters now and I dont think I need the "power" any more though that is debateable.

I broke one of the cardinal rules at API when we got our gear issue and I promised myslef I wouldnt put ii on until I passed al the tests but I couldnt resist and went on to fail the Metro test.

I used to write "pglmgmw" on the top of every kneeboard card and test sheet. please God let me get my wings.

Im not superstitous in life either. By the way I think the lock of his gilrfriends "hair" is kinda cool.

By the way nice thread Zab, Im all out of rep giving power but you really dont need it anyway.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Wont wash the bag for as long as possible (read until I embarass myself in public) if I have a good flight.......Wash it immediately after a bad hop and cycle through the rest of my flight suits before I wear it again. I wont wear a different pair of gloves no matter how worn.....I will have to break down eventually though.

I just picked this card up.....I will carry this for every flight.....The last paragraph covers just about all the horrible **** that we could ever be exposed to.

Attachments

• Saint Joseph.jpg
    Saint Joseph.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 383

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
By the way nice thread Zab, Im all out of rep giving power but you really dont need it anyway.

Ya gotta realize, I totally miss the wardroom BS sessions, they just don't do that here. I'm slowly bringing some "antics" into the mix (polo shirts, pranking the O-4s, aviation greens), but these guys need to step up the fun factor a little.

Rep points...if there was a way i could parlay those into paypal bucks for yuengling shipments...

ok come on, lets hear some more weird sh!t.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Ya gotta realize, I totally miss the wardroom BS sessions, they just don't do that here. I'm slowly bringing some "antics" into the mix (polo shirts, pranking the O-4s, aviation greens), but these guys need to step up the fun factor a little

Yeah I can relate my year with the Grunts I missed the hell out of the ready room and the typical antics that go on.

Pcola04/30

pilot
//thread jack// Zab, So what do you think of the greens? Worth the hassle to get em?

//End thread jack//

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pcola04/30 said:
Wont wash the bag for as long as possible (read until I embarass myself in public) if I have a good flight.......Wash it immediately after a bad hop and cycle through the rest of my flight suits before I wear it again. I wont wear a different pair of gloves no matter how worn.....I will have to break down eventually though.

I just picked this card up.....I will carry this for every flight.....The last paragraph covers just about all the horrible **** that we could ever be exposed to.

Careful, my Mom sent me a patron saint of aviation card and I carried it and got a down first tiem out in the Sims. I went Mafia style and burned it

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought of another one. I ALWAYS try to drop a grumper before I step. Even if I don't feel the urge, I plan for a good 20 minutes with some good reading material.

Pcola04/30

pilot
skidkid said:
Careful, my Mom sent me a patron saint of aviation card and I carried it and got a down first tiem out in the Sims. I went Mafia style and burned it

Great....thanks for sharing that little tidbit. Now I wont carry it. If I get burned up or drowned I blame you :icon_smil

Damn superstitions...... are getting in the way of my superstitions :p

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didnt say dont carry it just sharing my experience, it was kind of hipocritical for me to carry a saint in my pocket anyway, maybe youa re more holy.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pcola04/30 said:
//thread jack// Zab, So what do you think of the greens? Worth the hassle to get em?

//End thread jack//

I will definitely make a full report post when they get here. 500 bucks (1 jacket, 2 pants, 2 shirts, covers, ties) later...I had to have a set before they are phased out and being a Hawaii guy I fvcking hate the cold. No heat in my office and it's getting worse here every day.

Thread-recage: In Primary I only slept in my bed on nights when I didn't have a flight the next day. I was deathly afraid of sleeping through a brief. Hooverpilot knows I was found passed out with pubs and gouge all around me on the floor many times. The bed was only for post booze-ex.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
I don't get this one.... ??? :confused:

polo shirts:

Polo shirt under the flight suit. Totally illegal, but SO funny, SO cheesy. Plus on det, all you have to do is change pants. Quick turnaround to hotel bar happy hour.

(i accidentally put this in your original post, but then fixed it. 4 beers and I'm already jacking up posts...)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
polo shirts:

Polo shirt under the flight suit. Totally illegal, but SO funny, SO cheesy. Plus on det, all you have to do is change pants. Quick turnaround to hotel bar happy hour.

(i accidentally put this in your original post, but then fixed it. 4 beers and I'm already jacking up posts...)

Hahahha ok. Do you have the collar outside of the suit too for extra cheese?

Status
Not open for further replies.