• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Superstitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I "pop" mine. I know it's unpopular amongst the BDCP crowd on here, but I'm good looking enough to pull it off. What can I say...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Like I mentioned in the wings post, I refused to touch, look at, or even imagine my NA wings. First time I saw them was when I got pinned.
This must have been where I went wrong. I bought a pair of aviators wings at an airshow (El Torro) a year or so before I was even in the navy. Kept those things pinned on my desk even up until I got to flight school. Fvck, fvck, fvck! How could I be so stupid? I never did touch a pair of water wings before I got pinned, so there must be something to this.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
I "pop" mine. I know it's unpopular amongst the BDCP crowd on here, but I'm good looking enough to pull it off. What can I say...

That's awesome.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
skidkid said:
I didnt say dont carry it just sharing my experience, it was kind of hipocritical for me to carry a saint in my pocket anyway, maybe youa re more holy.

More holy....prob not. I just tend to think of em as a reminder as I how I should act (and Im slolwly changing my heathen ways ;) )

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have worn a small St. Chirstopher medal on my dog tags for EVERY flight I have flown.

- Always drop ordnance before flying. Never thought I would "break the seal", but damnit, I ate some spicy food in Guam (not THAT kind Zab!), and of all things, on a 4 HOUR flight, I just couldn't make it.... whole crew is cleaning the plane, knocking on the door, as their PPC is filling the clear plastic bag of shame, and also running the SMOKE AND FUME ELIMINATION checklist just for sh!ts and grins... and yes, I bought the obligatory beer in good humor...

- I would always just stop, look at the plane and take a moment before getting onboard.

- Not so much the intonation of "don't let me fvck up", but post PPC, definitely the same thought process when signing the A sheet.

- Did so well on a test in API when wife and kids were visiting family, I kicked her out and sent her back to the parents (only in Gainesville ppl, don't freak or anything!) :D Steve can vouch for that!

- NEVER EVER touched any wings or had them on my desk, et al... bad mojo... prior to winging.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
Did so well on a test in API when wife and kids were visiting family, I kicked her out and sent her back to the parents (only in Gainesville ppl, don't freak or anything!) :D Steve can vouch for that!
Oh I can vouch for it. Picture this: Webmater, Steve, and a few others having a good time a BBQ at Webmaster's house. Webmaster is drinking those pink fu fu drinks (Bay Breeze or what have you) and wife and kids roll up in the driveway. It's pouring outside (summer) and there's no overhead on the porch. Webmaster is shoeing (ha, get it..."shoeing") the wife and kids away while they're standing at the door getting soaked....didn't want to mess up his scores. His smallest girl is crying her eyes out, but you could hardly tell cause it was raining so hard. At least the dog stayed dry though.

webmaster said:
NEVER EVER touched any wings or had them on my desk, et al... bad mojo... prior to winging.
Yea, no sh!t. I established that.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Oh I can vouch for it. Picture this: Webmater, Steve, and a few others having a good time a BBQ at Webmaster's house. Webmaster is drinking those pink fu fu drinks (Bay Breeze or what have you) and wife and kids roll up in the driveway. It's pouring outside (summer) and there's no overhead on the porch. Webmaster is shoeing (ha, get it..."shoeing") the wife and kids away while they're standing at the door getting soaked....didn't want to mess up his scores. His smallest girl is crying her eyes out, but you could hardly tell cause it was raining so hard. At least the dog stayed dry though.
All true, except for the fu fu part, all vodka goodness my friend, and I remember YOU waking up in the guest room a number of times.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
All true, except for the fu fu part, all vodka goodness my friend, and I remember YOU waking up in the guest room a number of times.
Hey now. It was, afterall, me and your dog waking up in the guest bedroom. What a spunky fellow he was.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
This must have been where I went wrong. I bought a pair of aviators wings at an airshow (El Torro) a year or so before I was even in the navy.

That's the deadly sin/curse --- the presumtuous and preemtive buying. And you fell for it. It's almost as deadly as buying the "WINGS" license plate for the front of your automobile. I cannot remember one guy who did that (presumptively) who survived the program and actually got their WINGS. No one "mounted them" (excuse the expression) on the bumper --- the deadly sin was just in the "buying" before the "flying" ....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmm . . . where to start?

-I had darn near an entire "check ride outfit" for important flights. Our squadron wore the same color t-shirts as the squadron I did my mid cruise with, so I wore one of theirs in the rotation, as well as the flight suit I got while stashed at another fleet squadron. I guess I hoped some of the "fleet mojo" would rub off and help get me back there . . . unfortunately my new squadron doesn't wear the same color t-shirts, so that part is out the window.

-I also always took a minute to cage my brain after sitting in the cockpit before strapping in. Sit down, stare at the attitude indicator, and then look around and tell myself it's back to business.

-Always set up my cockpit the same way and strapped in in the exact same order. Seat height, chute, harness, rudder pedals, then kneeboard and plates. Also donned my helmet in the exact same order, bottom to top, chinstrap, visor, lip mike.

-Along with Zab's comments, I had a tendency to pat the glareshield after a good flight or a solo. Guess my way of saying "good plane, good plane."

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, 16 years old and I thought I was buying a piece of what I wanted to be. I didn't have any mentors to lead me away from this kind self destructive behavior though, like we have now on AW. Times have changed.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Yep, 16 years old and I thought I was buying a piece of what I wanted to be. I didn't have any mentors to lead me away from this kind self destructive behavior though, like we have now on AW. Times have changed.

Actually I do know of one lucky soul from college who had a shaving kit with wings on it, even before he was commissioned. Now an HSL stud in San Diego. That said, I also refuse to have anything to do with wings until I earn my own set. I actually bought a cheap imitation pair at an airshow when I was like 12, but ditched them years ago . . . hope the curse never catches up. :eek:

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
I have the same aversion to wings.....I also refuse to wear my leather flight jacket until I have earned the right to put a set of wings on it. Wings and the leather jacket is bad juju....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pcola04/30 said:
I have the same aversion to wings.....I also refuse to wear my leather flight jacket until I have earned the right to put a set of wings on it. Wings and the leather jacket is bad juju....

You have a leather jacket? Fvck off. I've been out of API over a year now... no leather jacket.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pcola04/30 said:
Sh!t....I forgot about the flight jacket curse. After API, and before Primary, I went in to the school-house to check in for muster. I was running late and threw on my khakis (with no medals, name tag, or rank insignia). So, I put on my leather flight jacket to cover the "problem areas" rather than wearing the black SWO jacket. Damn, now that I think of it, I even wore the brown leather shoes before I even checked in API. Yep, I was screwed before I even started.

Status
Not open for further replies.