• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Superstitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've never heard the flight jacket superstition. So many studs here wear it when it's cold.

I wouldn't wear my brown shoes until a LCDR ordered me to a week before API started.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Fly Navy said:
You have a leather jacket? Fvck off. I've been out of API over a year now... no leather jacket.

That sux....I surprised they didn't give you one when you went to D-jets(assuming you went to Navy primary).....they asked three times if I had been issued one yet.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pcola04/30 said:
That sux....I surprised they didn't give you one when you went to D-jets(assuming you went to Navy primary).....they asked three times if I had been issued one yet.

Oh, I was asked. It doesn't matter. I'm a 42R. In other words, I am everyone else's size. I just asked our Supply here last week if they had word on them... still no jackets.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Nope; leather flight jackets are O.K. prior to Wings --- no curse --- what else are you gonna' wear when it's cold ??? The leather nametag had an Officers crest/shield on it + your name/rank --- it's O.K. The brown shoes?? --- maybe pushing the envelope a tad, but it all depends on local custom for Studs. What does everyone else wear?? Brown shoes ?? Then no curse.

But NEVER wear any of the green nylon flight jackets prior to Wings -- Aviators only need apply.

ma1.jpg
Some guys did wear the Nehru jacket - most didn't see Wings ... probably the curse.
15441-47dg.jpg

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
But NEVER wear any of the green nylon flight jackets prior to Wings -- Aviators only need apply.
What is a SWO to do? I wear the green nylon flight jacket now as a SWO. They are especially warm up on the bridge in cold, windy weather or down in CIC. Either way, I'm sticking with this one. Air det hates it....so it must be good.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
For the discerning SWO .... The BHAGWAN recommends :

15441-47dg.jpg
No thanks. Rather wear a potato sack. The nylon green flight jacket does just fine, thanks. It looks especially cool when worn with the blue coveralls. :D

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Thankfully, I have nothing with wings on it. Absolutely nothing with military insignia on it, except for t-shirts from the 14th Medical Group @ Columbus AFB (I sincerely believe that is why I have had so much difficulty with AF recruiting) and the Israeli Defense Force.

I do have a Blue Angels folding chair, so I guess I'll never be one of those...

As far as flying goes:

-I've always worn the same shirt any time I've flown with an FAA examiner.

-Normally when I sign credit card receipts, I use an abbreviated signiture (it looks like an "M"). But when I buy fuel, I always use my "legal" signature.

-When switching freqs in the air, I always sign off with "War Eagle"...but I think I do that just to piss off all of the Bama fans in BHM and the UGA fans in ATL.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I have a SWO pin on my bulletin board (gift from my dad from like 10 years ago... he's a retired SWO)... is it a reverse jinx to have this item?

And how about a coffee cup that says "NAVAIR" and has a pair of wings on it... can I own/operate this while I'm still a Midshipman and then have it disappear after my 1/C year?

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
A4sForever said:
Nope; leather flight jackets are O.K. prior to Wings --- no curse --- what else are you gonna' wear when it's cold ??? The leather nametag had an Officers crest/shield on it + your name/rank --- it's O.K. The brown shoes?? --- maybe pushing the envelope a tad, but it all depends on local custom for Studs. What does everyone else wear?? Brown shoes ?? Then no curse.

ma1.jpg
Some guys did wear the Nehru jacket - most didn't see Wings ... probably the curse.
15441-47dg.jpg

Uhh ohhh.....I forsee a serious increase in the attrition rate, because just about every stud in corpus wears the green jackets. Way to go A4's you single handedly cursed my whole squadron :icon_mi_1

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Never had anything with wings on it, EVER.

Always piss b4 a flight, right b4 I walk.

Always bring my helmet bag to the A/C with me, regardless if I have anything in it or not. Plus my watch is always on the helmet bag, rather than my wrist.

Have only used one set of gloves, not sure what I am going to do at NATOPS check time, when it is a CQ for having "unservicable flight equipment."

As far as the green nomex jacket goes. I wore that ALL the time. So did everyone else. The jinx was the deutch bags that had training command patches (IE NASC patches) sewn on them (not where the current unit patch goes). Never wore the leather until my vacation in Brunswick, ME after winging.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
Tripp said:
When switching freqs in the air, I always sign off with "War Eagle"...but I think I do that just to piss off all of the Bama fans in BHM and the UGA fans in ATL.
Yeah, and don't think we haven't noticed.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Have the same set of gloves I've always used with me... they just stay in the helmet bag and I wear another set since the originals have large holes.

Always fold the tops of my socks over the tops of my boots.

Used to eat a mini snickers before each flight- until it ceased to be effective (CQ).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
(BTW this post is in reaction to the plethora of boring stuff on the site lately. Enough politics! Let’s BS about the cool stuff)

Here here! I was wondering if I was the only one thinking that.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
polo shirts:

Polo shirt under the flight suit. Totally illegal, but SO funny, SO cheesy. Plus on det, all you have to do is change pants. Quick turnaround to hotel bar happy hour.

(i accidentally put this in your original post, but then fixed it. 4 beers and I'm already jacking up posts...)
I love it! Plus, the enterprising JO could sport some decent looking shorts under the bag. Reminds me of the time our division had to divert. The CO at the time was a hard-ass about no flight suit liberty and he was the only one who didn't bring a divert bag. How do you like me now?

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.