• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Board 09 NOV 20

Foreverghosty

Since we're all waiting, any recommendations on learning how to tread water. I can freestyle and breast stroke but I cannnot float to save my life

zarevich

Since we're all waiting, any recommendations on learning how to tread water. I can freestyle and breast stroke but I cannot float to save my life
I think what helps me is breathing in as much as I can and hold my breath for as long as I can to help me keep afloat. The rest is just using your feet, I personally move my feet like in breast stroke and switch around with combat stroke. I only weight 180lb as 6'1" so its not as hard for me as it is for somebody who weights 200lb as 6'1".

SWOtivated2020

Since we're all waiting, any recommendations on learning how to tread water. I can freestyle and breast stroke but I cannnot float to save my life

The biggest thing I would suggest is to go practice until you're comfortable in the water. Make sure you stay calm and don't get too tired. The next thing to think about is your body position. Your lungs are pretty much the only part of your body that is significantly buoyant enough to hold your weight up, so you should take a slightly larger than average breath then lean forward until your head is in the water and your weight feels balanced on your chest. Your back should be at the surface and it might feel like your leaning forward a little in the water. If you've ever tried to balance on a beachball in a pool its the same idea, but your lungs are the ball. When you need to breath, exhale under water before lifting your head because the longer your head is out of the water the farther you will sink. The most important things to remember when you practice are to stay calm and make sure you do it safely. Find someone to go with so they can watch you and/or let the lifeguards know what you are doing so they can keep an eye on you.

For context I'm 6'2, 200 and can use this technique to float for much more then the 5 min required for the swim qual.

Here is a video that goes over the swim qualification procedure, if you don't already know it. This video is a bit old but as far as I know it's still the same. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that. There is also an underwater clip of the float, as well as most of the other skills, that might be helpful.

Sorry for the long post but I know a lot of people get nervous about this part of the swim qualification. Hope this helped and good luck to everyone.

Foreverghosty

The biggest thing I would suggest is to go practice until you're comfortable in the water. Make sure you stay calm and don't get too tired. The next thing to think about is your body position. Your lungs are pretty much the only part of your body that is significantly buoyant enough to hold your weight up, so you should take a slightly larger than average breath then lean forward until your head is in the water and your weight feels balanced on your chest. Your back should be at the surface and it might feel like your leaning forward a little in the water. If you've ever tried to balance on a beachball in a pool its the same idea, but your lungs are the ball. When you need to breath, exhale under water before lifting your head because the longer your head is out of the water the farther you will sink. The most important things to remember when you practice are to stay calm and make sure you do it safely. Find someone to go with so they can watch you and/or let the lifeguards know what you are doing so they can keep an eye on you.

For context I'm 6'2, 200 and can use this technique to float for much more then the 5 min required for the swim qual.

Here is a video that goes over the swim qualification procedure, if you don't already know it. This video is a bit old but as far as I know it's still the same. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that. There is also an underwater clip of the float, as well as most of the other skills, that might be helpful.

Sorry for the long post but I know a lot of people get nervous about this part of the swim qualification. Hope this helped and good luck to everyone.
For sure , this is the thing that I’m am scared about the most. Actually I fear that I will get kicked out because of this part.

SWOtivated2020

For sure , this is the thing that I’m am scared about the most. Actually I fear that I will get kicked out because of this part.

I'm not 100% sure of this but I don't think they'll kick you out because you can't swim. I know for sure if you fail the first time they'll give you remedial swim lessons to help you pass the qualifications. I think you get a couple weeks to pass it and if you still can't they roll you to the next class.

zarevich

I'm not 100% sure of this but I don't think they'll kick you out because you can't swim. I know for sure if you fail the first time they'll give you remedial swim lessons to help you pass the qualifications. I think you get a couple weeks to pass it and if you still can't they roll you to the next class.
Seems like they do the same thing as in boot camp for enlisted people. If you fail, you just do swimming lessons around 3 times a week and retake it before graduation.

ccutler

Seems like they do the same thing as in boot camp for enlisted people. If you fail, you just do swimming lessons around 3 times a week and retake it before graduation.
I can confirm that, I can’t swim to save my life and my OR said they won’t kick me out for not being able to swim. They will teach you, but it’s highly recommended to learn how to prior bc you don’t wanna get held back just bc of swimming

Foreverghosty

I can confirm that, I can’t swim to save my life and my OR said they won’t kick me out for not being able to swim. They will teach you, but it’s highly recommended to learn how to prior bc you don’t wanna get held back just bc of swimming
Ok cool yea, i have been going. I actually drowned before and was afraid to get in a pool for a while but now I can get in and swim freely but I am afraid to go into deep water but plan on practicing at the YMCA. They have a 7 foot pool where i can practice

Foreverghosty

Guys, I think I'm losing it. I'm starting to make memes...
View attachment 28598

Fingers crossed for week 6!
You and me both, I started to get confused about ProRec Y, I thought this meant you were accepted and that you are going. But from what I heard is that you can still get denied after. I already got medically cleared since I did a dual enlistment. On the enlisted side I’m good to go and can ship out whenever I want. Can anyone explain?

Terminader

You and me both, I started to get confused about ProRec Y, I thought this meant you were accepted and that you are going. But from what I heard is that you can still get denied after. I already got medically cleared since I did a dual enlistment. On the enlisted side I’m good to go and can ship out whenever I want. Can anyone explain?
I think being deemed physically unqualified after getting the pro-rec or having your security clearance denied would be the few exceptions that could still get you denied after. I'm not 100% sure, though.