• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-57 crashes near Whiting

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You know the drill guys... keep it sanitized.

Sorry to hear about it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Damn... how longs it been since there was a mishap in the HT's? It has to have been a while.

Last year. A -57 rolled off one of their pinnacle landing pads.

Sorry to those of you that knew em and their families, always a sad day in Naval Aviation but this IS a dangerous business. This is shaping up to be a rough year.

Already is... :(

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I was in the MOA when the calls started coming out on guard.

Currently waiting to hear back from a few friends i have in HT's...

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Mefesto said:
Damn... how longs it been since there was a mishap in the HT's? It has to have been a while.

I know that they were selling 1 million mishap free hours patches right before I winged a month ago. Not sure if that was just Class A or what, but that might be a gauge of how long.

phrogpilot73

gregsivers said:
I know that they were selling 1 million mishap free hours patches right before I winged a month ago. Not sure if that was just Class A or what, but that might be a gauge of how long.
Wasn't that HT-18? The mishap was HT-8. I do know that the last time I remember a HT-18 TH-57 mishap (I thought it was a class A, but I guess there was some creative accounting) was when I was going through advanced in 2000. I was observing an RI, and all the A/C got recalled to Whiting. Turns out that they were doing an instrument auto, had sprag clutch slippage at the bottom, and they weren't as set up for a field as they thought. Had to use some of their turns to clear the trees. Saudi instructor and two US Navy studs, if I remember correctly.

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
gregsivers said:

I'm pretty sure that was HT-18, as HT-8 had a mishap earlier this year (rolling off the pinnacle), as well as the wire-strike mishap late last year. 8's had a bit of bad luck lately.

Sad to hear about the loss today. Hopefully the other 2 recover from their injuries.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I thought it was 18 too, but the patch in front of me has both squadrons on it. But I digress. It is never good to hear this news, and hopefully they do recover.

Is an IP's life worth more than a STUD's? I don't see the point of asking such a question.

edit: Sorry, I don't see the point of asking this question on a public forum. If someone has passed-away I feel the best way to find out is not a public forum.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
redmariner97 said:
Is an IP's life worth more than a STUD's? I don't see the point of asking such a question.

I don't think that was his point at all. I'm not him, but he probably wanted to see if there was a possibility he knew the IP. I wondered the same thing. As you start to see your friends disperse to the trawings, and as these tragedies occur, you cringe upon hearing about it, and hope the hell it is not one of your friends. Plain and simple. Your assertion that a winged aviator on this board would actually think an IP's life was worth more than a students irritates me beyond belief.

snizo

Supply Officer
....perhaps he knows some specific IPs or studs and hasn't been able to get ahold of them yet?

(edit: d'oh ... too late)