• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-57 crashes near Whiting

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't go to ASO school, but I think all SIRs are priveleged. For example, that is why the Navy didn't do a safety investigation following the Cavalese cable car mishap. The president at the time offered to share all information with the Italians and sharing the SIR and investigation results goes against the purpose of the safety investigation.

The safety investigation determines causal factors and ways to prevent mishaps from happening again. It is an internal document that is used inside the Navy. If the information was not priveleged, then potential witnesses might not come forward with information for the investigation.

The JAG investigation is releasable under FOIA. That is a completely different investigation. It determines fault and financial responsiblity issues.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I guess I was basing my expectations on the information that gets released in most civilian accidents. No one NEEDS to know, but if one of your friends died in a car/airplane/helicopter accident, wouldn't you be a little curious what happened? It's not like he was just some guy I knew.

So anyway, sorry to have stirred up a hornet's nest.

I feel your frustration and understand the desire to find out what happened. I think it is a reasonable desire, I hope that in some form or another you find what you are looking for, even if it isn't as detailed as you may like.

I think however that the important part is that your friend died doing what he loved and he will be remembered by everyone down here. Whatever causal factors that led to the accident have and will lead to changes in how things are done to make sure that the same thing doesn't happen again.

All of aviation reacts to these type of accidents with the desire to prevent the same thing from happening in the future. Civilian officials have to make their reports public to accomplish this while the military is able to restrict who gets the details and therefore able to be a bit more blunt with causal factors. Reguardless, the most important thing is that lessons will be learned from it and your friend died doing what he loved. Not many can say that.