• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-57 crashes near Whiting

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sorry to say, but there is not any real news. Some parts of the investigation are still ongoing. I doubt the Safety Center will release anything until everything is compiled. When there is more public info, however, I will certainly post here. At this point, the purpose of the investigation is to add to our knowledge banks and learn to fly better.

I didn't know Jesse personally, so I won't presume to speak for him. Still, he died in pursuit of a goal and for a cause. It seems to me that there are worse ways to go.

Just to ensure everyone is on the same page, pretty much the only thing that shall be posted here is from the news sources. Anything beyond that (like what was heard at an AOM) is, for the most part, priveleged.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Just to ensure everyone is on the same page, pretty much the only thing that shall be posted here is from the news sources. Anything beyond that (like what was heard at an AOM) is, for the most part, priveleged.

already understood, but thanks for the clarification.

MasterBates

I know AW.com needs to cover its 6 on this, hence the no posting of any non-public source.

The downside to that, like Chuck has stated, is sometimes the Causal Factos get muddled or masked in the public reports.

I have been involved with 2 AMBs in some capacity, 1 was really well written, but even the "sanitzed" version has not been released for public consumption 1 year later.

The other, is total BS, it was total lack of SA and adherence to procedures, but the report was written like machine failure to save face for an OIC, CO and Admirals Aide.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Every AOM that I've been to that has discussed a mishap of some kind usually either begins or ends with, "..and this is all priveleged, so you can talk amongst yourselves, but it's not for talking about at the bar." I'd classify that as "non-public." So if someone has a Safety Center version that does NOT say "privelleged" on it, great. Otherwise, continue conducting zip-lip procedures.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Every AOM that I've been to that has discussed a mishap of some kind usually either begins or ends with, "..and this is all priveleged, so you can talk amongst yourselves, but it's not for talking about at the bar." I'd classify that as "non-public." So if someone has a Safety Center version that does NOT say "privelleged" on it, great. Otherwise, continue conducting zip-lip procedures.

Yep, beat me to it. EVERY AOM I've had where they talked about a mishap ended in "this is privelidged information". AW.com is not the place to talk about it, especially on the public side.

EFCA

Let me clarify that I'm not looking for any secret inside information or gory details.

Just curious what the heck happened because the only thing we heard out here was "a helicopter crash." It's not a big enough story that will ever be on the news again and it's not appropriate to bug his parents for more details any time soon. I'm really hoping that one of you guys will at least be able to point me in the right direction where a clueless civilian can go to find publicly released info. I’m sure there’s got to be a magical military website out there that would mention more information when the time comes. I've looked around but haven't found anything but the same original AP news story over and over.

I’m also curious if I’d stumble across anyone that knew him since I would’ve imagined that the flight school is a relatively small world.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m sure there’s got to be a magical military website out there that would mention more information when the time comes. I've looked around but haven't found anything but the same original AP news story over and over.

I’m also curious if I’d stumble across anyone that knew him since I would’ve imagined that the flight school is a relatively small world.

There's no magical website. You will probably meet folks that knew the deceased. Naval Aviation is a small world.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's no magical website. You will probably meet folks that knew the deceased. Naval Aviation is a small world.

To piggyback on here, details of aircraft mishap reports are generally not released to the public. There are lots of good reasons for that policy to include privacy and liability considerations, but for the most part, the general public just doesn't need to know.

Brett

Circle K

pilot
but for the most part, the general public just doesn't need to know.

Probably the most important part of this thread. Why does anyone, especially the general public, need to know exactly what happened? Is it going to make a difference if information is released that it was piece A that didn't fit correctly with part B? Unless of course you work for BHT or fly a 57/206.

My .02, it's enough to know that a helicopter crashed with three people in it, and sadly, a student pursuing his dream did not walk away.

EFCA

I guess I was basing my expectations on the information that gets released in most civilian accidents. No one NEEDS to know, but if one of your friends died in a car/airplane/helicopter accident, wouldn't you be a little curious what happened? It's not like he was just some guy I knew.

So anyway, sorry to have stirred up a hornet's nest.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess I was basing my expectations on the information that gets released in most civilian accidents. No one NEEDS to know, but if one of your friends died in a car/airplane/helicopter accident, wouldn't you be a little curious what happened? It's not like he was just some guy I knew.

So anyway, sorry to have stirred up a hornet's nest.

Of course. Doesn't mean it should be posted on the internet. Read the SIR.

MasterBates

FN,

EFCA is a Civvie, can he get a hold of the SIR when it is released under FOIA?

Don't think he can, but I could be wrong.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FN,

EFCA is a Civvie, can he get a hold of the SIR when it is released under FOIA?

Don't think he can, but I could be wrong.

Missed that he was a civvie.

Still, a lot of the information in the SIRs really are confidential. I've read a few, including one involving my previous squadron. That information doesn't need to be in the public hands.