• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TH-57 crashes near Whiting

S.O.B.

pilot
redmariner97 said:
Is an IP's life worth more than a STUD's? I don't see the point of asking such a question.

I don’t know any studs D1CK head, so the point of my question was to find out if one of my friends may have been killed today. I think it’s a fair question.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
redmariner97 said:
Is an IP's life worth more than a STUD's? I don't see the point of asking such a question.

Kinf of a shallow question. I won't beat a dead horse, but I've only been winged and out of the HTs for a month and I was wondering if it was someone I knew as well.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Could someone update this post with the names once the have OFFICIALLY been released? I'm not trying to start the rumor mill, I just want to pray for their families.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
First off, as for the IP or Stud question: I'm in HT-8 right now and I wonder the same thing. It has nothing to do with whose life is more valuable. It has to do with the likelihood that I might know the person...or that I might have been the person under different circumstances.

Secondly, both squadrons recently celebrated 1,000,000 mishap-free hours. That only refers to Class "A" mishaps which are defined as damage in excess of $1,000,000 or loss of life/permanent disability. Since a TH-57C is not valued at over $1,000,000 then even accidents resulting in total loss of aircraft are not class "A" providing the crew is OK. The pinnacle roll-over at Harold OLF was last year in HT-18. Earlier this year, an HT-8 helo rolled at Spencer Field. Both of those resulted in 0 injuries.

Enough picking at straws. Let's all pray for the families of everyone involved.

Prashant Patel

I feel like there's no words for the mix of emotions you go through when you lose one of your fellow aviators. I was finishing up in VT-28 when those two T-34s went down in corpus. I knew the stud that perished in the 2nd mishap and here I am again in HT-18, 3 months later, watching it happen all over again. It still felt like a punch to the chest when I heard the news in the ready room. It never gets easier to bear. It sucks, it f*ck'n sucks so bad....

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Class A Mishap, from http://neds.daps.dla.mil/Directives/3750/three.pdf

Class A Severity. A Class A mishap is one in which the
total cost of damage to property or aircraft or UAVs exceeds
$1,000,000, or a naval aircraft is destroyed or missing, or any
fatality or permanent total disability results from the direct
involvement of naval aircraft or UAV. Loss of a UAV is not a
Class A unless the cost is $1,000,000 or greater.

Chubby

squorch2 said:
Class A Severity. A Class A mishap is one in which the
total cost of damage to property or aircraft or UAVs exceeds
$1,000,000, or a naval aircraft is destroyed or missing, or any
fatality or permanent total disability results from the direct
involvement of naval aircraft or UAV. Loss of a UAV is not a
Class A unless the cost is $1,000,000 or greater.
[Threadjack] I'm pretty sure they try to use parts or a portion of the airframe for simulators and such thus not a total loss... that combined with some fancy accounting results in a less than Class A [/Threadjack]

... Praying for the families ...

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
paddle562 said:
It never gets easier to bear. It sucks, it f*ck'n sucks so bad....

First post in a long time. I found out today from two T-34 jockeys that recognized my HT-8 patch up in Andalusia today.

It does suck. The sad fact is, however, that we have a dangerous job. This doesn't make it suck any less, but it does make the sacrafice worth knowing that most, if not all, deaths of aviators in history involved people doing something they love. Another sad fact is that we've lost more aviators in the last year to car crashes than we have in the last 3 decades to helo crashes.

Rob Elortegui and I used to go to EVERY "men are pigs" night at Coconut Bay behind university mall when we were together here for flight school...he loved life and loved the Navy...it makes things sometimes easier to bear. I cried like a baby from Bahrain upon hearing his death.

My prayers to the families and all of us trying to cope.

~D

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
phrogdriver said:
I think that with the TH-57, they don't strike it until the actual BuNo plate is destroyed. Like Steve Austin, "We can rebuild him..."

Probably, since 151 (the pinnacle bird I believe) is still sitting by the line shack on the Charlie line.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
gregsivers said:
Probably, since 151 (the pinnacle bird I believe) is still sitting by the line shack on the Charlie line.
The pinnacle bird was that mostly-disassembled and very dinged up bird with red skids that was sitting with the MRBs in the cockpit, passenger and avionics sections. It's been struck.