• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

chonnydesu

So I worked with my recruiter, went through meps and got a waiver for my thyroidectomy (I'm on levothyroxine daily). My recruiter said my waivers "went through" and that my package is complete and I'll be applying for the next SNA board later this year. I just checked the waiver guidelines and it states..

"aviation personnel with thyroid hormone replacement is not authorized and will not be considered for waiver"

I'm not sure if the waiver was for Naval Officers in general, and doesn't apply to Aviation Officers.

Is it fair to me to assume that I'll probably be getting auto rejected by the boards since they'll look at my waivers too? And even if I somehow do get through the boards, wouldn't I fail the flight physical at the beginning of OCS?

jgeraghty

So I worked with my recruiter, went through meps and got a waiver for my thyroidectomy (I'm on levothyroxine daily). My recruiter said my waivers "went through" and that my package is complete and I'll be applying for the next SNA board later this year. I just checked the waiver guidelines and it states..

"aviation personnel with thyroid hormone replacement is not authorized and will not be considered for waiver"

I'm not sure if the waiver was for Naval Officers in general, and doesn't apply to Aviation Officers.

Is it fair to me to assume that I'll probably be getting auto rejected by the boards since they'll look at my waivers too? And even if I somehow do get through the boards, wouldn't I fail the flight physical at the beginning of OCS?
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the board does not look at medical waivers. They could look at moral waivers, but all that they care about medically is that you are qualified. I'm not sure how the flight physical at OCS would shake out, but when I checked the waiver guidelines, I found the following statement:

"Initiating treatment in biochemically normal aviation personnel with thyroid hormone replacement is not authorized and will not be considered for waiver."

I interpret this to mean that initiating thyroid hormone replacement is only authorized if you had a biomedical abnormality. I also found the following line on page 11:

"Levothyroxine is ONLY approved form of replacement medication (if required) for Navy Aviation."

I'm not a medical professional, but I saw that you have asked twice and wanted to give my 2 cents.

exNavyOffRec

There is a line on the PQ letter that says something like "defer to NAMI for suitability for aviation programs" so it is very possible you could get DQ'd at OCS.

I honestly don't know how they PQ'd you to begin with, I would wonder what happens if you are deployed and can't get your meds? I know several that had to take meds daily that they could not be without and then were declared "not deployable".

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
There is a line on the PQ letter that says something like "defer to NAMI for suitability for aviation programs" so it is very possible you could get DQ'd at OCS.

I honestly don't know how they PQ'd you to begin with, I would wonder what happens if you are deployed and can't get your meds? I know several that had to take meds daily that they could not be without and then were declared "not deployable".

I've seen in the MANMED where hypo or hyperthyroidism (forgot which one) controlled with medication is waiverable for basic officer commissioning.

exNavyOffRec

I've seen in the MANMED where hypo or hyperthyroidism (forgot which one) controlled with medication is waiverable for basic officer commissioning.
It just seems odd that something that probably requires daily medication that without could be a medical issue would still allow them to be deployable. I just really hope this isn't a case of yes join, then NAMI says no to aviation.

chonnydesu

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the board does not look at medical waivers. They could look at moral waivers, but all that they care about medically is that you are qualified. I'm not sure how the flight physical at OCS would shake out, but when I checked the waiver guidelines, I found the following statement:

"Initiating treatment in biochemically normal aviation personnel with thyroid hormone replacement is not authorized and will not be considered for waiver."

I interpret this to mean that initiating thyroid hormone replacement is only authorized if you had a biomedical abnormality. I also found the following line on page 11:

"Levothyroxine is ONLY approved form of replacement medication (if required) for Navy Aviation."

I'm not a medical professional, but I saw that you have asked twice and wanted to give my 2 cents.
Oh I see, it was just a cut-off sentence. I should hopefully be fine then thanks!

ChillBeast69

Hey guys, spoke to a recruiter today to start the application process for SNA. The only thing we are concerned about medical wise is my broken collarbone surgery. I pretty much trashed my collarbone 2 years ago when I hit a deer on my motorcycle, had to get surgery and a titanium plate with some screws to repair it. I have full range of motion and no pain. I do have a pretty gnarly scar and the plate is sort of visible in my skin. I do currently hold a class 1 medical and fly full time with a 4 point harness with no issues or pain. Does anyone have experience going through NAMI with a gnarly collarbone with hardware lol? It sounds like it is waiverable case by case. Thanks.

motoboy259

Hey guys, spoke to a recruiter today to start the application process for SNA. The only thing we are concerned about medical wise is my broken collarbone surgery. I pretty much trashed my collarbone 2 years ago when I hit a deer on my motorcycle, had to get surgery and a titanium plate with some screws to repair it. I have full range of motion and no pain. I do have a pretty gnarly scar and the plate is sort of visible in my skin. I do currently hold a class 1 medical and fly full time with a 4 point harness with no issues or pain. Does anyone have experience going through NAMI with a gnarly collarbone with hardware lol? It sounds like it is waiverable case by case. Thanks.
I went to MEPs yesterday..., blew my foot up, broke all toes and metatarsals and had pins put in all 5 toes. broke my collar bone (no surgery) at the same time. No waivers, cleared hot.

motoboy259

My best advice is to bring it up obviously, but don't offer more details than needed. Act like its not a big deal. Less is more. The recruiters have all the info on genesis; if they need to look further into they will. You should be fine.

exNavyOffRec

I went to MEPs yesterday..., blew my foot up, broke all toes and metatarsals and had pins put in all 5 toes. broke my collar bone (no surgery) at the same time. No waivers, cleared hot.
MEPS doesn't not clear officer candidates only N33 can do that, your info will get sent for review and they will make the call after looking at all the medical documentation. Sometimes N33 is stricter than MEPS, sometimes they are more lenient than MEPS.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
The only thing I remember about MEPS is that an old doctor wanted to take a gander at my butthole, and my OSO telling me not to let anyone marshal me onto a bus. 😆

motoboy259

MEPS doesn't not clear officer candidates only N33 can do that, your info will get sent for review and they will make the call after looking at all the medical documentation. Sometimes N33 is stricter than MEPS, sometimes they are more lenient than MEPS.
Ah that explains my recruiters message about sending off my medical paper work. Thank you for the info.

ChillBeast69

My best advice is to bring it up obviously, but don't offer more details than needed. Act like its not a big deal. Less is more. The recruiters have all the info on genesis; if they need to look further into they will. You should be fine.
Gotchu, thanks man, good luck on the rest of your endeavor.

ChillBeast69

Thank you, so if I end up being 100% DQ that would be determined before NAMI correct? In this case at Meps? I am assuming that I would not even be offered a slot if there is not a good chance my injury is waiverable? Is that waiver approved before I even get an appointment to OCS or is there a chance I go through all of OCS just to be denied at NAMI?