• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thank you, so if I end up being 100% DQ that would be determined before NAMI correct? In this case at Meps? I am assuming that I would not even be offered a slot if there is not a good chance my injury is waiverable? Is that waiver approved before I even get an appointment to OCS or is there a chance I go through all of OCS just to be denied at NAMI?

For officer applicants, MEPS (or a military treatment facility for those who can do that) provides a recommendation to the military services based on their own guidelines. Navy recruiting command (N33= medical waivers authority) will then review and make the decision. MEPS can “DQ” you but N33 actually determines the medical qualification. Similarly, MEPS can “clear” you and N33 DQs you based of commissioning requirements. I have seen the latter happen before albeit rare.

For special programs, like aviation, SEALs, submarine duty, etc. they will conduct a basic review and determine such qualifications but will defer to the right authorities for further suitability. This is why folks do a NAMI, special duty screening, etc. at OCS.

Your application does not get submitted to the selection board unless you are cleared by N33. No exceptions.

ChillBeast69

For officer applicants, MEPS (or a military treatment facility for those who can do that) provides a recommendation to the military services based on their own guidelines. Navy recruiting command (N33= medical waivers authority) will then review and make the decision. MEPS can “DQ” you but N33 actually determines the medical qualification. Similarly, MEPS can “clear” you and N33 DQs you based of commissioning requirements. I have seen the latter happen before albeit rare.

For special programs, like aviation, SEALs, submarine duty, etc. they will conduct a basic review and determine such qualifications but will defer to the right authorities for further suitability. This is why folks do a NAMI, special duty screening, etc. at OCS.

Your application does not get submitted to the selection board unless you are cleared by N33. No exceptions.
Okay understood thank you.

Framer

For an adjustment order, I last went to medical for some anxiety issues I had two years ago. I was given a therapist I’m still seeing. My therapist told me he technically had to tell tricare I have “adjustment order”. NAMI waiver guide says I’m able to have this resolved as soon as my doc says I’m good. If I go to my flight doctor about this can I still see my therapist?

Empire16

How hard is it to get a NAMI waiver for asthma? I had an inhaler prescription but, i did not use it. It was for my family. I obviously got PQd by MEPS with a good PFT. Just curious how different it is for NAMI?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The only thing I remember about MEPS is that an old doctor wanted to take a gander at my butthole, and my OSO telling me not to let anyone marshal me onto a bus. 😆

This. I was also told to wear whitey tighties, and I remember doing the duck walk with 10 of my newest friends.

It was definitely the weirdest job interview I've ever been on in my life and I was a roadie for a couple of big rock bands right after college.

NKMess

Hello all. I've got a few short questions.

I already have my NAMI waiver (approved March '24) for a physical I started in October '23. For the administrative requirements, which date is the "effective" date of my physical? It would be nice if to not have to worry about doing a new physical before I finally submit for board this fall.

Also, another question I had... in OPNAVINST 1420.1B, its specified that commissioning physicals are okay for two years upon submission of the application, however in the checklist it specifies that they must be completed one year. I just wanted to see if there was any insight into this requirement, and whether commissioning physicals would also include flight physical/if the flight physical satisfies the requirements of the commissioning physical? For the latter part of that portion my flight surgeon did say that the flight physical counted as a commissioning physical, I just wanted to see AW's insight.

Finally, rather than complete the entire process of a new flight physical, would I simply need to renew with a short form flight physical?