• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
I believe it referenced the ground radar used to track the inbound aircraft and vector/guide them to the target. Like in "AN/TPQ-10 radar" ... it was used by Marine ASRT teams and was pretty accurate.

Marine A-6 squadrons used to regularly fly "beacon sorties" which were directly fragged by the local MAW. I think I got all that right ... :)

Makes sense to me - knowledges accrued :D

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
These photos just recieved from the front

Attachments

• into the sunset 2.jpg
    into the sunset 2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 170
  • flying over the euphrates.jpg
    flying over the euphrates.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 200
  • flying in the front.jpg
    flying in the front.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 255

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
which tacan?? Than Son Nut? It seems like that would have covered pretty much all of South Vietnam and much of Cambodia.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
which tacan?? Than Son Nut? It seems like that would have covered pretty much all of South Vietnam and much of Cambodia.

They were EVERYWHERE ... TACAN Channels & Stations (SEAsia)

Even Khe Sanh had one ... and then, of course, many ships in/around Yankee & Dixie had one as well.

tacanlookingeastxs8.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I loved the Marine TACAN approaches ... I remember one of the plates (Chu Lai?? Mebbe Danang?? ) had as approach headings the "four cardinals" ... and I didn't even know they were Catholic. :eek:

090 ... 180 ... 270 ... and, of course, 360.

Gotta' love them Marines -- keep it simple -- Mickey's big hand is on the "12" and his little hand ... etc., etc. :D

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
This is the Navy I would have liked to be a part of ...

Attachments

• BonnyDick.jpg
    BonnyDick.jpg
    824.4 KB · Views: 472

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
ohhh and before i get flamed..i mean the CONCEPT...not the shirtless men...per se'

Not to worry ... we won't tell ... what goes on cruise, stays on cruise. :eek:

Steel Beach, circa early '70's ...
I have more pictures, if you'd like some. :D

dsc01909pr0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.