• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
A hail mary at cracking the A4's case. VA-115 reunion pic. A4's, you in here? This was the 72-73 group..not sure if you were there then.

VA-115%20Reunion%20Midway.jpg

Hawaiian Shirt and a cold beer in one hand and a pretty good tan for an old timer... am I getting warmer?

RogerDaveHoagy.jpg

Yankee Uniform Tango
I know im treading on the dark side but how about the old vmf 251 Lucifer's messengers patch. An attribute to the pre politically correct squadron names.

Interesting tidbit pertaining to WW2-era PC'ness: the F7F Tigercat was originally named the Tomcat, but the name was considered too "suggestive" for the times. Go figure.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Some pictures from Haiti

Getting ready to launch on one of my flights. That is me center right.

Our Fearless Aricrew

Our Maintainers Fixing a Tire We Cut

We were supposed to land in this LZ right after this guy:

We Didn't:

We ended up landing at another LZ about a mile a way and had to leave before the same thing happened to us

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
View attachment 10980I vote Tarbox for the best patch. But what do I know... I wasn't even around in the early 80's!

"Tarbox?" That's the patch for VF-33 Starfighters (formerly Tarsiers). I went through FRS with Diamondbacks and Tarsiers as they transitioned to Tomcats. Yep, it was one scary patch, and reputed to be of the world's most fearsome flesh-eating monkey. Then, year later we were in St Thomas and someone found a real Tarsier in a cage. Turns out it was world's smallest monkey and it ate bugs. That gave rise to them being called "D__ed Bug-eatin' Monkies" by our salty MMCPO. The XO (Mike Bucchi) changed the patch to a Starfighter design shortly thereafter.

Patch is much more fearsome than the real thing...

philippine-tarsier.jpg

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Some pictures from Haiti

Getting ready to launch on one of my flights. That is me center right.

Our Fearless Aricrew

Our Maintainers Fixing a Tire We Cut

We were supposed to land in this LZ right after this guy:

We Didn't:

We ended up landing at another LZ about a mile a way and had to leave before the same thing happened to us

Nice shots, thanks for sharing.
+1

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
A hail mary at cracking the A4's case. VA-115 reunion pic. A4's, you in here? This was the 72-73 group..not sure if you were there then.

VA-115%20Reunion%20Midway.jpg

Hawaiian Shirt and a cold beer in one hand and a pretty good tan for an old timer... am I getting warmer?

RogerDaveHoagy.jpg

Sooner.....I think you may be a younger Persian version of Mark Harmon from NCIS. That's some good goddamn detective work. Not sure if that's our man...but we'll find out eventually.
The individual in the picture is obviously in control of the conversation and recounting with his hands how he shot down Col. Toon...after he pickled 28 mk-82s on Ho Chi Mihn and General Giap!

badger16

None
@ HeyJoe- Sir, I know that the real thing is far less scary then the patch but it is still a sweet patch! Much cooler then what the squadron went to after IMHO. I thought Tarbox was the squadron's radio callsign...my source (read drunk buddy) must have failed me.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@ HeyJoe- Sir, I know that the real thing is far less scary then the patch but it is still a sweet patch! Much cooler then what the squadron went to after IMHO. I thought Tarbox was the squadron's radio callsign...my source (read drunk buddy) must have failed me.

Was he a Starfighter? Their given callsign out of the book of supposedly blessed callsigns was Rootbeer. At some point, they started using "Starfighter". "Tarbox" was the callsign for the Air Wing, as in "99 Tarbox, Delta 10"

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Sooner.....I think you may be a younger Persian version of Mark Harmon from NCIS. That's some good goddamn detective work. Not sure if that's our man...but we'll find out eventually.
The individual in the picture is obviously in control of the conversation and recounting with his hands how he shot down Col. Toon...after he pickled 28 mk-82s on Ho Chi Mihn and General Giap!

That's the kind of time I have when I'm not flying or don't have an on-wing.

If in fact it is him in there somewhere, I may have to keep bumping those pics on this thread in case A4's is hoping they just get pushed aside by new posts. Also, in case they just 'disappear'. ;)

Long shot, but we'll see...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My educated guess is the one with the ball cap and GREEN SHIRT. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.