• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

sfdistance

And just to make sure ... the goatskin and real mouton look similar enough to the cheap issued jackets to be worn in uniform? I'm just being sure because I know there are a lot of people on here who aren't necessarily still wearing a uniform.

MerchantMiddie

pilot
And just to make sure ... the goatskin and real mouton look similar enough to the cheap issued jackets to be worn in uniform? I'm just being sure because I know there are a lot of people on here who aren't necessarily still wearing a uniform.

My US Wings G-1 looks almost identical to the issue POS, but the collar is a little lighter (looks better IMHO)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
PSW bought mine from Oxford Leather Shop (I really need to order/get sew on a nametag). It's awesome!

I picked mine up from the Oxford Leather Shop a couple months ago on a cross-country to Osan (where their shop is). It's really nice, has a zip out liner, quality wool collar, blood chit, cell & pen holders, and usable, lined pockets cut in the back of the button pockets. All for $155 out the door. It's cut a bit looser than the issue one, but it's comfort and quality is well above the issue one and the zip-out liner makes it way warmer when the mercury really drops.

IMO, the usable pockets alone make it worth the investment.

/waiting on a new Tipsy Gypsy nametag for it.

Pags

N/A
pilot

No one cares. I've only ever gotten compliments on mine.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Marines would care. Are these similar specs, just nicer material, or are they significantly different?

BTW, lieutenants have complimented me on my issue jacket looking nicer than theirs. The new ones look a lot more "naugahydish" than mine. I don't know whether the leather is different, or whether 13 years of breaking in has just made mine look more natural.

sfdistance

Yes, I agree, Marines would care, and I happen to be one, which is why I am asking. The jackets they are issuing these days are complete crap. I was pretty disappointed when I received mine. The collar is made some kind of synthetic fibers, the leather is stiff and cheap feeling, and the stitching is uneven and very shoddy. I am trying to find a better jacket that I could buy but wouldn't look too different than the issued one. (Obviously better leather wouldn't look quite so stiff, but I think I could get away with that.) Maybe my issued jacket is worse than most, or maybe its just my personality, but the horrible materials and quality really just annoy me, especially since wearing a G-1 is something I used to dream about as a little kid. I know that you Navy guys get a little more leeway with the uniforms, but are there any Marines out there who wear a non-issue G-1?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know that you Navy guys get a little more leeway with the uniforms, but are there any Marines out there who wear a non-issue G-1?

At least two of us commented above about our "non-issue" ones, and I know of at least several others who have bought them from Oxford as well. They are made to spec, so aside from the quality, they look issue.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Not that this even pertains to me but for curiousity sake, you Marines that are getting the guchi leather nametags are you getting them "rankless" or sticking with regs? I know that we get less leeway when it comes to that kind of stuff, but it would almost seem pointless to spend a ton of money on a nice patch that you are just going to have to replace at some point in the future.

torpedo0126

okay I ran a search--and maybe it wasn't diligent enough--but I didn't seem to come up with the answer (also this thread has 630+ replies)

Do you HAVE to put any patches on your G-1 (nametag included)?

Again, sorry if this was already discussed.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Getting a non-issue leather that is within specs seems to me like springing for the Brooks Brothers SDBs. No, it's not what we all got at USNA/ROTC/OCS, but if it looks the same and is constructed the same, just of better material, why wouldn't it be ok?