• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Getting a non-issue leather that is within specs seems to me like springing for the Brooks Brothers SDBs. No, it's not what we all got at USNA/ROTC/OCS, but if it looks the same and is constructed the same, just of better material, why wouldn't it be ok?

It would, hence why it's made "to spec." Seriously guys, if it's to spec, it's to spec. That doesn't mean it's built well, just that it meets the spec. Move on.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Do you HAVE to put any patches on your G-1 (nametag included)?

According to the newest uniform regs, a nametag is REQUIRED on the leather jacket. The wearer may opt to also put on a squadron patch, but this is not req'd.

torpedo0126

According to the newest uniform regs, a nametag is REQUIRED on the leather jacket. The wearer may opt to also put on a squadron patch, but this is not req'd.

Thanks...I saw that in the regs as well, I was just hoping maybe there was some sort gouge I didn't know.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
No one gives a shit if your leather flight jacket has a name tag or not.

It does, however, make it a bit tougher for some douche to try and lift it and attempt to write it off as an honest mistake.

Our PRs also wrote our name in permanent white marker on the inside of one of our pockets...said it was for the same reason, but I suspect they really did it so they didn't accidently sew someone's stuff on the wrong jacket.

Just like they say, everything we need to know we learn in kindergarten. Our Mommy wrote our name in all our stuff. It worked back then; it works now.

Don't forget to call your Moms tomorrow.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It would, hence why it's made "to spec." Seriously guys, if it's to spec, it's to spec. That doesn't mean it's built well, just that it meets the spec. Move on.

Dev is spot on. And once spec is released with RFP, the lowest bidder typically wins and you get what you pay for....

In fact, when cost of materials rose (for G-1), the spec was relaxed several times to keep price low. It got ot the point that many original manufacturers like Willis & Geiger opted not to bid because they remained true to the original spec and if the cost of the raw materials alone (quality goatskin, mouton collar and double stitched cuffs and waistband) exceeded what the Navy was willing to pay. At one point, the leather only had to look like goatskin (ie rolled in press for that dimpled look) so many jackets were referred to as "plastic jackets" because they weren't far off.

sfdistance

Maybe I'm just too worried about this, but for all those out there who wear a non-issue jacket, is it easy for people to tell that yours is different? I understand what to spec means as far as the cut and styling of the jacket, but is it easy to tell the difference between the issued cowhide and synthetic collar and a goatskin/mouton jacket (without feeling the difference, I mean).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Maybe I'm just too worried about this, but for all those out there who wear a non-issue jacket, is it easy for people to tell that yours is different? I understand what to spec means as far as the cut and styling of the jacket, but is it easy to tell the difference between the issued cowhide and synthetic collar and a goatskin/mouton jacket (without feeling the difference, I mean).

It's not different! It's made better, but it meets the spec, which is all the uniform regs cover. It's like buying shoes. It doesn't have to have a NEX sticker on the box for it to be an approved uniform item.

Relaaaax. Let the clothing soooooooooothe you.

sfdistance

It's not different! It's made better, but it meets the spec, which is all the uniform regs cover. It's like buying shoes. It doesn't have to have a NEX sticker on the box for it to be an approved uniform item.

Relaaaax. Let the clothing soooooooooothe you.

Obviously it doesn't have to have a sticker on the box. But that doesn't mean there isn't a line somewhere. I'm sure there are really nice jackets out there that technically meet the specs but look different enough from everyone else's for you to take flak about it. Just out of curiosity Gatordev, do you wear your issued leather or one that you bought?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I personally don't have a non-issue jacket. I don't wear mine enough to need one. Between HI, FL, and FL, I just don't need it that often, and when I do (like on the Whiting flight line in the windy winter), the winter-weight green jacket does the job better. I also don't have one that's as cheap as apparently the newer ones are.

All that said, I can tell you, as a former VT IP and a current fleet aviator, no one cares. People might notice that it's a slightly different color (slightly) or that the collar is better looking, but that will usually result in a "hey, that's nice..." Sure, there's always going to be "that guy," but he'll find something else to question if it's not your leather jacket.

Food for thought. The Belleville boots (brown or black, take your pic) are NOTICEABLY different from the issue flight boots. But they meet the spec and are better made. Guess what? No one cares or says anything. And yes, I wear my Bellevilles always and forever.

KBayDog

...I wear my Bellevilles always and forever.

8eea3d3c89980c329b4cafce7035199e.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For the record, when I need a new Leather jacket, I plan to come back to this thread and get one of the ones mentioned here.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Food for thought. The Belleville boots (brown or black, take your pic) are NOTICEABLY different from the issue flight boots. But they meet the spec and are better made. Guess what? No one cares or says anything. And yes, I wear my Bellevilles always and forever.

In a noticeable departure from the "cheaper is better" school, the brown boots I was issued are Bellevilles. I think they're very comfortable, but I've noticed that the interior heel support has a tendency to wear out.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In a noticeable departure from the "cheaper is better" school, the brown boots I was issued are Bellevilles. I think they're very comfortable, but I've noticed that the interior heel support has a tendency to wear out.

In general, the soles fall apart very quickly on ship/non-skid. They also are a little wide for my foot...just a little. The RedWings were the best fitting boot for my foot I've worn, but alas. That said, I still prefer the Bellevilles to the regular issue.