• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Monster COD thread (homage to the C-2A Greyhound)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Funny thing about the thread jack, it's just going to happen in COD threads..........a page is about it talking about CODs before we are all :sleep_125

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Funny thing about the thread jack, it's just going to happen in COD threads..........a page is about it .....

Naaaaaa .... I love COD's ... I even managed some right seat time .... and like I said, the movies and mail .... but especially the occasional deck launch ... a thrill for the whole ship. :)

codlaunchhq9.jpg

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Naaaaaa .... I love COD's ... I even managed some right seat time .... and like I said, the movies and mail .... but especially the occasional deck launch ... a thrill for the whole ship. :)

It's funny to think that we still have deck launch procedures in our NATOPS. I'm not sure if I'd ever want to try that.

MasterBates

I believe S-3s can/could deck launch as well.. I think that came up in a previous COD thread the diverged to the C-1 Trader.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I believe S-3s can/could deck launch as well.. I think that came up in a previous COD thread the diverged to the C-1 Trader.

HEY!!! The A-6 "could" also ... as per NATOPS take-off data (we checked) .... 9000# of fuel and clean wing .... then what are you gonna' do ....??? :)

Use the relief tube on the bad guys .... ????

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I've seen both the US-3 and S-3 deck launch. We deck launched a S-3 off the TR while at anchor in Halifax.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Even more scary would be landing without using the hook/wire combo. Using full length of the boat. Just like the C-130 did.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What the hell did they do about the wingtips.. I don't see no harrier-style outriggers!

U-2 has skids on wingtips for landings. The "outriggers" are for takeoff and drop away after leaving runway.

mobile%20at%20beale.jpg

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
And for gifts to Generals after they are used up..........;)

Note late model Mustang in the back. If you haven't seen one of these take off, another pilot drives the Mustang (or other appropriate fast car) and talks to the flying pilot about wing position during the takeoff roll. I also think they scoop up the training wheels. It was crazy to see this U-2 on the takeoff roll followed by a speeding car. I don't know which job would be more fun.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Note late model Mustang in the back. If you haven't seen one of these take off, another pilot drives the Mustang (or other appropriate fast car) and talks to the flying pilot about wing position during the takeoff roll. I also think they scoop up the training wheels. It was crazy to see this U-2 on the takeoff roll followed by a speeding car. I don't know which job would be more fun.

They are also used for landings as the U-2 is difficult to set down wings level. Because of its aspect ratio, it just wants to stay flying and has to be stalled a few feet off runway.

U-2_landing_from_inside_mobile.jpg